Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Josh Anderson for Max Domi and 2020 3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Because he was injured while playing. They shut him down. What’s Domi’s excuse?

You say you get it and then post something that indicates you don’t. If Anderson was scoring 25 goals + for a second season in a row while being a big power forward Domi would not have been enough to trade for him by the way.
He wasnt injured the whole season and when he played he was complete garbage. As "bad" as Domi was he was still pacing double what Anderson was and his bad season was still 3pts off of Andserson career high.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
So... Domi outscored Anderson every year in the past five and he's younger too. Yet Montreal added a third?!

I don't understand what's going on.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Bergy should have gave Benning a call then. I'm sure a lot of fans would like Horvat to unite with Domi now that Toffoli aint coming bac.

How would Van have money for Domi if they don’t have any for Toffoli? Domi is likely asking for same or more money then Toffoli.

Thats what some of you are missing. The deal likely ends up with around 1-1.5mm in Cap to MTL, which is covered by the 3rd. Anderson is not going to get the same money as Domi based on his last injury plagued season.

And the Domi I watched last year is not worth what he will likely be paid. Which is why his value was reduced - Anderson is a gamble but so is Domi in the cap world we are in. Are you getting 72 point Domi or 50 point Domi for your 5-6mm? Tyler Johnson had 29 goals two years ago, is a true C, and Tampa can’t give him away at 5mm.

Habs with their depth at C were not willing to pay Domi’s asking price, full stop.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
He was injured all season

Gritty is not what I would qualify Domi’s play last season.

Frankly he just needs to be cheaper than Domi

Domi's "gritty" play is the most overrated of any player in the league. He's chirping from the bench and throwing tantrums between whistles, but while actually playing hockey, the guy is incredibly easy to knock off the puck and is definitely not hitting a lot. Not really a forechecking player neither.

Honestly, and I know coming from a Habs fan this might sound silly... but if I'm a Jackets fan and that I'm looking at my lineup with Domi, Atkinson, Gerbe... I'm starting to think we're getting a bit to small for a team that is supposed to play John Tortorella hockey.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Domi's "gritty" play is the most overrated of any player in the league. He's chirping from the bench and throwing tantrums between whistles, but while actually playing hockey, the guy is incredibly easy to knock off the puck and is definitely not hitting a lot. Not really a forechecking player neither.

Honestly, and I know coming from a Habs fan this might sound silly... but if I'm a Jackets fan and that I'm looking at my lineup with Domi, Atkinson, Gerbe... I'm starting to think we're getting a bit to small for a team that is supposed to play John Tortorella hockey.
"John Tortorella hockey" has become this myth that noone actually knows what it is but think you need to be like the broad street bullies or some shit. All Torts wants is for players to compete and work hard.

Drive425

Jul 24, 2006
St Louis Du Haha
Amazing move by Jarmo. IIRC Anderson requested a trade a year or two ago, but either way they significantly upgraded AND got a decent pick.

Interesting then that TSN reported yesterday Anderson's agent was trying to work on a long term deal in Columbus.

Always amazes me how players on the Habs are considered garbage one day, then get traded and suddenly turn into the best player since Gretzky. Truth is, Domi is a good player who was unhappy he couldn't play center in MTL. Julien was likely pissed at him and relegated him to the 4th line which in turn made Domi sour. MTL are getting in Anderson (if 100%) a great, hard nosed power forward that can put the puck in the net filling a massive hole and based on the year he had last year will likely sign a bridge deal (3-4 million per) to get a better raise down the line. This opens up some opportunities to dip into the free agent pool possibly.

Domi is in line for a hefty raise (likely 6-8 million per) and MTL didn't feel they wanted to make that investment so they traded an unhappy player at a loss to shore up an area badly needed addressing. Is it a gamble? Perhaps, but they aren't on the hook for 6-8 million unhappy cap hit for the next 3-5 years.

From CBL perspective they slot in a perfect 2nd line center with skill and power and give up a key player in their upset of the Bolts last playoffs. They walk away having addressed a big need for them and they're happy with the 3rd sweetener.

I think both teams walk away happy with this deal.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I thought that domi was going to wpg for laine

Guess that was not happening.
I've only seen about 5 pages of this thread but haven't seen TooLegit. Weird hes usually the #1 poster on all things Domi.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013

He won't be playing wing, it will be at center; more like PLD, Domi, Grigorenko/Jenner/Wennberg and Nash on the 4thline.

Reactions: Ben Chariot

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
So... Domi outscored Anderson every year in the past five and he's younger too. Yet Montreal added a third?!

I don't understand what's going on.

this may blow your mind, so I’ll ask that you sit down.....

Player value isn’t just based on points. It would take 3 Mike Hoffmans to get one ROR.

Andersons value is increased due to his size / skating / toughness. At 20/20 - and I get he may not reach that - he is a significantly more important asset then a 55 point disinterested Domi that takes bad penalties and is a give away machine. And will almost assuredly come in at a higher cap, which if you’ve been following, is a big f***ing deal these days.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Interesting then that TSN reported yesterday Anderson's agent was trying to work on a long term deal in Columbus.

Always amazes me how players on the Habs are considered garbage one day, then get traded and suddenly turn into the best player since Gretzky. Truth is, Domi is a good player who was unhappy he couldn't play center in MTL. Julien was likely pissed at him and relegated him to the 4th line which in turn made Domi sour. MTL are getting in Anderson (if 100%) a great, hard nosed power forward that can put the puck in the net filling a massive hole and based on the year he had last year will likely sign a bridge deal (3-4 million per) to get a better raise down the line. This opens up some opportunities to dip into the free agent pool possibly.

Domi is in line for a hefty raise (likely 6-8 million per) and MTL didn't feel they wanted to make that investment so they traded an unhappy player at a loss to shore up an area badly needed addressing. Is it a gamble? Perhaps, but they aren't on the hook for 6-8 million unhappy cap hit for the next 3-5 years.

From CBL perspective they slot in a perfect 2nd line center with skill and power and give up a key player in their upset of the Bolts last playoffs. They walk away having addressed a big need for them and they're happy with the 3rd sweetener.

I think both teams walk away happy with this deal.

If Domi makes 8M next season I'll eat my socks with sriracha sauce.

Kingbobert

Jul 15, 2005
Montreal
If Domi makes 8M next season I'll eat my socks with sriracha sauce.
dont think he'll ask for 8, but his camp will be looking for atleast 6M trying to bank off the before last season and say last season was a down year and issues with Julien

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
dont think his point was that domi will play wing, it was the size.
thats even worse, have you seen the Jackets play? And judging by the comments; Domi sounds like a "Matt Calvert" type of player.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
He wasnt injured the whole season and when he played he was complete garbage. As "bad" as Domi was he was still pacing double what Anderson was and his bad season was still 3pts off of Andserson career high.

He was injured the whole season. He played injured, they shut him down. Please read up on these things before posting.

Reactions: Dumais

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
All of this back and forth and this thread is puzzling in how mis-evaluated this trade is. GMs aren't morons. They don't generally get completely fleeced.

For starters, this is not a trade anyone should evaluate on points. It was a trade of a guy whose only value is point production for a guy whose prime value is physical play. So there's that.

Second, there seem to be a lot of myths about who these players are. Both have good upside but extreme flaws. For Anderson that's health concerns, wear and tear on his body and a recent lack of impact in his shortened season. For Domi it's inconsistency, ineffectiveness on the wing and poor defensive commitment.

The thinking is simple from both GMs. For Kek, he needed to add a 2C and some creativity to that lineup and to resolve a contract stalemate. Domi offers promise of being a capable 2C who is creative. For Bergevin, he had an unhappy C who wasn't going to have a top 3 C role in Montreal, who was very ineffective on the wing and not a Julien player. He had a DESPERATE need for a winger with size who can create space and take some net front heat off Gallagher's shoulders. So he flipped an unneeded asset in one area for a badly needed one in another area.

It's basically as simple as that. Many think CBJ won this badly, but I'd definitely give it a year or two. Hard for Bergevin to lose a deal when you take an item that was buried in your closet, not being used and flip it for an item you will use every day. He could care less what the new owner does with that item. And CBJ filled a need too. They'll soon see all Max's warts and why you can't evaluate just on points, but they'll also get good value from him - as they should, when you gave up a coveted asset that most teams would like to have.

Reactions: Dumais

Why2Jay

Feb 1, 2009
"Breakout"? This is why you are confused. The word you are looking for is "outlier". As in no reasonable person expects Domi to hit 70+ points ever again. Used in a sentence, most reasonable people expect Domi to stay in his usual range of 45-55 points in a season, his 72 point season was an outlier and will most likely never come close to that again.

The Habs are also getting back a centre for a winger who played centre poorly.

You are also misusing the term "carrying his line" during his 72 point outlier season. The term you are searching for is "drag on his line". See below:

domixma95

I think the Habs did well here.
Funny you call Domis 72 points an outlier, yet Anderson has 30 goal potential. Strong logic

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
thats even worse, have you seen the Jackets play? And judging by the comments; Domi sounds like a "Matt Calvert" type of player.

Agreed 100%. I mean the guy included Gerbe on his list, really grasping at straws there :laugh:

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Jackets' Anderson has surgery for shoulder tear

Has been wildly reported he suffered the injury on Dec 14. They didnt shut him down until March. Maybe take your own advice?

He suffered a shoulder injury in the prior year’s playoffs

"Anderson admitted when he came to camp that a left shoulder injury suffered during the team's playoff run the previous April still hadn't fully healed. He played just two games before the shoulder was hurt again, taking him out of the lineup for six games. "

Battalion Breakdown: Looking at Josh Anderson's season

Reactions: admiralcadillac

puckie

Jan 19, 2020

He won't be playing wing, it will be at center; more like PLD, Domi, Grigorenko/Jenner/Wennberg and Nash on the 4thline.

Seriously, they traded him to have a second line playmaking center.
He will most likely be playing with Nyquist and Atkinson. Serious momos on this board
https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/columbus-blue-jackets/line-combinations/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad