Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Josh Anderson for Max Domi and 2020 3rd round pick - pt.2

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
Habs fan and liked the trade. As for Domi, you want to line him up with grit and power and you will see his game evolve.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Twain

Jul 1, 2019
This does seem like a major win for the Habs. Although it probably feels even more lopsided now, because Anderson is playing in a hot team in a defence is optional division and Domi plays in a mess of team with Torts’ blender giving him new line mates for every game. If you would switch them back to their original teams right now, Domi’s production would probably go up and Anderson’s down. Of course it’s not that simple and their own play is part of the reason why their teams are at their current state. Just saying that while I’ve been very disappointed with Domi so far, he hasn’t been given an easy position to succeed and I’m willing to wait a while to see if he gets it going. In any case, this trade will probably stay as a win for the Habs, but the future will tell, if it is a loss, a major loss or in the best but unlikely scenario a win for the CBJ.

Anyway, really happy for Anderson and great to see him doing well. It’s not a surprise, because the skill set was always there and the only question mark was the health. A gutsy move by Bergevin also to give that term for a player who plays physical style hockey and had been basically injured for a year, but so far looks like his gamble paid off big time.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
This does seem like a major win for the Habs. Although it probably feels even more lopsided now, because Anderson is playing in a hot team in a defence is optional division and Domi plays in a mess of team with Torts’ blender giving him new line mates for every game. If you would switch them back to their original teams right now, Domi’s production would probably go up and Anderson’s down. Of course it’s not that simple and their own play is part of the reason why their teams are at their current state. Just saying that while I’ve been very disappointed with Domi so far, he hasn’t been given an easy position to succeed and I’m willing to wait a while to see if he gets it going. In any case, this trade will probably stay as a win for the Habs, but the future will tell, if it is a loss, a major loss or in the best but unlikely scenario a win for the CBJ.

Anyway, really happy for Anderson and great to see him doing well. It’s not a surprise, because the skill set was always there and the only question mark was the health. A gutsy move by Bergevin also to give that term for a player who plays physical style hockey and had been basically injured for a year, but so far looks like his gamble paid off big time.
The latter half of last season and into the playoffs, Domi was given new linemates daily as Julien could not find a fit. When asked to play the wing he expressed his malcontent.

Domi needs a specific type of winger to compliment his game. Andrew Shaw was that guy and provided grit, puck retrieval and a net presence. It allowed Domi to be creative with his offense. When Bergevin traded Shaw, Domi’s iffense dried up.

Reactions: Gains

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Pretty much every media source I've seen on here said Anderson wanted out of Columbus. Not a ton about him not being satisfied with his current situation and he wanted more term.

The pressing issue is the actual term. I mean 5 x 5 vs 5 x 7 makes a huge difference. I find it hard to believe Anderson would have been a bad signing at 5 x 5.

If Domi turns out a bust here, then thats basically a +10 million for Anderson what he does in Montreal.

I don't like it.. I thought at the time we got pretty good value.. but it is,what it is... it was a better trade than 2 2nds.

Do you have a link? I think people have just been playing "telephone" and getting it mixed up. Portzline reported that Jarmo was very close to getting Anderson signed, just shied away from the demand for term. He then goes to Bergevin with those same demands, and gets what he wants. Here's Friedman:

4. Anderson, by the way, was resolute in his belief: a one-year contract walking himself to free agency, or the max. Columbus had the hammer the last time his contract was up — this time the leverage was his. That’s one of the reasons the Blue Jackets made the trade, and he did not change his mind for Montreal. Have to admire it.

I haven't seen any actual reporting that Anderson was unhappy with Columbus, just HF echo chamber. We can surmise that he wasn't feeling generous to Jarmo after Jarmo f*d him in 2017, but it looks like he had the same ask from Columbus as he did from Montreal. He spoke glowingly about Torts in a recent presser, btw.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The latter half of last season and into the playoffs, Domi was given new linemates daily as Julien could not find a fit. When asked to play the wing he expressed his malcontent.

Domi needs a specific type of winger to compliment his game. Andrew Shaw was that guy and provided grit, puck retrieval and a net presence. It allowed Domi to be creative with his offense. When Bergevin traded Shaw, Domi’s iffense dried up.

The Jackets have pugnacious players they've tried with Domi.

I think a bigger issue is that Domi doesn't have the crowd to feed off of. The emotion in his game looks fake.

Played well tonight though, hopefully he's getting it together.

Reactions: Igoraj

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Didn't see all of the game, but I thought Domi played well and doing kinda stupid shit/getting mad easy is oddly a way to tell he's engaged. Might start getting more points now. Laine looked tremendous.

Reactions: CBJx614

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Max Domi really was a one season wonder. I didn't want to believe it, but it's true. He's just not that good of a player.

He has talent but he's entitled. If he feels you took something away from him or you are not giving him what he wants his drive disappears. His playoff performance was absolutely atrocious and was only a level or two better than what Dubois did in his final week. And he did that in the playoffs! The people who defended it will defend anything. Tortorella is being a good coach with the way he's handling him but it's not the best way to coach Domi. Domi wants reverence and the top centre spot. He's not gonna get it if John is good at his job, and it'll lead to Domi wearing another sweater by the summer.

CTZ181

Jan 18, 2021
I could see Domi not liking CBJ as being the reason he's not getting going but I think it's more-so just adjusting to a new team with a unique system. Give him some time.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I liked Domi’s goal yesterday. He should set himself up for that one timer more often. It was lethal. His wrist shot is also very underrated, I don’t know why he doesn’t use it more often

Reactions: CBJx614

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
I liked Domi’s goal yesterday. He should set himself up for that one timer more often. It was lethal. His wrist shot is also very underrated, I don’t know why he doesn’t use it more often
Yeah his 28 goals 72 pts season he was dominant, shooting from everywhere with his great wrister. I know that season was probably a fluke but he still has lots of talent to show. Wish him the best.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Yeah his 28 goals 72 pts season he was dominant, shooting from everywhere with his great wrister. I know that season was probably a fluke but he still has lots of talent to show. Wish him the best.
I think as the team starts to gel and opposing teams start to gravitate towards Laine, we'll see players like Domi, Bjorkstrand and (hopefully) Cam start to score more whenever they are out there with him.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I think Anderson was always the better player. He just could not stay healthy..

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
I think everyone should start to give Bergevin more credit. He seems to know a lot more than a lot of posters gave him credit for in the last several years. It's another case of some random fans around the league thinking that they know better than seasoned professionals.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I think everyone should start to give Bergevin more credit. He seems to know a lot more than a lot of posters gave him credit for in the last several years. It's another case of some random fans around the league thinking that they know better than seasoned professionals.
Agreed, even as a Leafs fan I can admit that he's a very good GM, who consistently makes shrewd moves. His most criticized move was Subban for Weber, I'll admit I questioned it at the time (figured Subban had more good years left due to age, was very wrong), but that was an absolute blowout win for Bergevin. Really, he has a pretty good track record for drafting, free agent signings, and coaching hires, but especially good for trades:
  • Getting Weber for Subban
  • Getting Petry for a 2nd and a 4th
  • Getting Anderson for Domi
  • Getting Danault and a high 2nd (Romanov) for Fleischmann and Weise
  • Getting Suzuki, Tatar and a 2nd for Patches
Overall got Weber, Petry, Anderson, Suzuki, Tatar, Danault and Romanov for Patches, Domi, Subban and some spare parts, pretty incredible.

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
Agreed, even as a Leafs fan I can admit that he's a very good GM, who consistently makes shrewd moves. His most criticized move was Subban for Weber, I'll admit I questioned it at the time (figured Subban had more good years left due to age, was very wrong), but that was an absolute blowout win for Bergevin. Really, he has a pretty good track record for drafting, free agent signings, and coaching hires, but especially good for trades:
Overall got Weber, Petry, Anderson, Suzuki, Tatar, Danault and Romanov for Patches, Domi, Subban and some spare parts, pretty incredible.

Right,

Also need to mention getting Domi himself, for Galchenyuk (who was at the time still held by some around the league, inexplicably, as a 30 goal scorer), who is basically a KHL level player now.

Reactions: ponder and HabsQC

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Well there were lots of GM's after Anderson. MB was willing to give the max contract and offer enough for Kekalainen to bite. If Anderson can stay relatively healthy he made the right move.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015

Habs fans have a lot of disdain for Bergevin because historically he has made some questionable decisions, but nobody can question that he has been red hot the last 700 days or so.

I love KK but it was a questionable pick at the time. The Habs only have three of their last 10 1st round picks on their team still (Last 3) and trades like Eller for picks, trading two 2nds for Shaw, leaving 10+ million in cap room during Price's prime are all big blunders (until this year). From the perspective of on-ice value the Subban/Weber trade was a terrible terrible mistake at the time that looks good in retrospect with Subban being a tirefire and Weber still being Weber. Had he traded Subban for PLD or a similar ilk prospect, it would have been a clear win even in the moment, it was just the perspective that we traded Subban for a bigger, slower, older defenseman.

The real value from that trade is that Shea is the team-dad and obviously a major leader in the room, which I do think was a big part of Bergy's decision as he clearly likes 'dressing room guys' (Edmundson, Chiarot, Weber, Thompson, Malhotra, Gallagher etc).

Sergachev trade I personally don't mind because I think Drouin is criminally underrated by Habs fans. He got his nick-name Bargain Bin for a reason, though, and drafting/FA has been brutal until very recently (Alzner, Chiarot was looking like Alzner 2.0 at a glimpse).

Outside of the Eller move and the Shaw move, I don't think he has lost a trade looking retrospectively. I think Sergachev/Drouin is a wash, and I think the Pacioretty and Flesichmann/Weise trades are two of the best trades in the past few years in the NHL. My biggest issues with him were not bringing Radulov back (which is fine NOW but for two years it was bad), not bringing back Markov (still think that he should have let him have his big game) and the way he handled the Subban fiasco (even though we won the trade) ... Therrien was there too long, and our AHL coach was a bum who put the franchise back a few years.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Anderson : 8g 2a in 12gp
Domi : 2g 3a in 13gp

Anderson has been amazing, I didn't expect that much to be honest. Here's hoping he keeps producing at the same pace.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I agree it only took him 9 years so far to accomplish what exactly?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Anderson : 8g 2a in 12gp
Domi : 2g 3a in 13gp

Anderson has been amazing, I didn't expect that much to be honest. Here's hoping he keeps producing at the same pace.

We’ll see what happens when Anderson’s shooting percentage isn’t double his career average. If both players shoot their normal percentages, both of them would be sitting at 6 points. That’s not to say the trade hasn’t worked out much better for Montreal than I was expecting, but players don’t shoot 20%+ long term. Let’s not forget the Vegas fans that thought Karlsson would be scoring 30-40 goals every year, and he’s been on pace for 22 goals per year since the one outlier season

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad