Confirmed Trade: [MTL/BUF] Marco Scandella for 2020 4th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

2017 draft right before he was traded to Buffalo. IIRC the rumour was the Habs would've sended their 1st rounder to Minny but, thankfully, decided to keep it (Poehling). Then again that move would've probably saved us from giving that grotesque deal for Alzner so eh.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Nope, just downgraded from a 4th to a 5th (Reilly trade)
Don't be a hater

4th is 2020
5th is 2021

that's postponing and downgrading

but ultimately it remains yet again another mixed message of retooling AND committed to making the playoffs

notice that in a cap era, teams go in cycles

1-bad
2-avg
3-makes the playoffs
4-goes further
5-contends

notice how teams like NSH ANA LA SJ CHI aren't as good anymore

(and yes i've noticed a few exceptions ie PIT BOS WSH, etc that managed to maintain their rosters after winning a cup)

notice that it's CAR TO COL STL NYI the current contenders

notice that DET NJ LA OTT are going through a rebuilding

notice that MTL is never part of any of this

and the main factor for this is you have to commit to ONE plan... either retool OR contend. You can't do both seriously you just can't in a cap era

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgy and Slashers98

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This trade and the Frolik trade seem like low returns for these two guys. Either I'm overrating both guys or the market for pending UFA middling players isn't very good.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
4th is 2020
5th is 2021

but ultimately it remains yet again another mixed message of retooling AND committed to making the playoffs

1-bad
2-avg
3-makes the playoffs
4-goes further
5-contends

(and yes i've noticed a few exceptions ie PIT BOS WSH, etc that managed to maintain their rosters after winning a cup)

and the main factor for this is you have to commit to ONE plan... either retool OR contend. You can't do both seriously you just can't in a cap era

It's cute that you think you are presenting some novel concept, meanwhile we have 500+ pages of people bitching about this exact topic on our board. Take a lap

Reactions: Doxinoctae

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
buffalo will rebuild for another 10 years and I don't blame the players for being uninterested. Local guy, nice fit, no cost. take it and run.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I'm not sure he's an upgrade over Kulak, who's played well since getting back into the lineup. Unless plans on flipping him or Kulak at the deadline.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
4th is 2020
5th is 2021

1-bad
2-avg
3-makes the playoffs
4-goes further
5-contends

yeah yeah a team won the cup running an unexpected hot goalie after a coach change, which they will not repeat. the rest can take a hike. add tampa to the hike list. see you around.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
buffalo will rebuild for another 10 years and I don't blame the players for being uninterested. Local guy, nice fit, no cost. take it and run.
oh the irony of a Habs fans talking about another team being in a ten year rebuild....

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
oh the irony of a Habs fans talking about another team being in a ten year rebuild....

Here now, most Habs fans hate Molson and Bargain Bin, and despise their “plan.” It’s difficult to understand why they aren’t committing to selling high on Petry, Weber, Tatar, etc... and exploring a market for Price (if one exists). We all know it’s time. This team isn’t built for long term success.

As far as Scandella goes, he’s an upgrade over Reilly, and at almost no cost, plus he can be flipped at the deadline as a UFA, while we can retain salary to maximize the return. Reilly has a year left on his deal, and just sucks. I can’t stand Bargain Bin but that’s an easy move/choice to make.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Scandella sucks. There's almost no difference between Reilly and Scandella. Reilly might actually be better.

tenor.gif

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
4th is 2020
5th is 2021

1-bad
2-avg
3-makes the playoffs
4-goes further
5-contends

Ok, a lot to unpack here, but:

1) Not all of the teams that you've mentioned have ever committed to retool or contend in a more meaningful way than Montreal has in the time frame you alluded to.

2) You mention teams that haven't gotten as close to a cup as Montreal has in the time-frame you alluded to.

3) Relative value of picks outside of the top 14-16 is pretty flat. Montreal had extra picks anyways.

4) Who said Montreal will keep Scandella all season?

5) Really, what will Montreal do now that they only have 3 4th round picks in the upcoming draft!

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
We wish we were in a rebuild. It would mean Biceps Bergevin has committed to a direction.

Unfortunately, what we are doing is trying, and failing, to "make the playoffs where anything can happen."

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
4th is 2020
5th is 2021

The Habs had 12 picks in '20 including 4 4th rounders so that was never going to stay that away after making 21 picks picks in the '18/'19 drafts since that would be 33 picks in 3 years and there's only so much room on the 50 so at some point you are just throwing away picks when you don't sign several of them.

So it was expected that he would trade some of his '20 picks to get '21 and '22 picks. I don't think he's a very good GM as he should be trading up not down and I wouldn't have done this trade as I fear he will overpay him by re-signing him. I wouldn't have taken on the cap hit as I would have used the excess cap space to try and take on a bad contract for a late 2nd or early 3rd depending on how much cap we are taking on. But we'll see what he does at the deadline, if he moves him by retaining 50%, then I would be happy.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
MTL has KK, Suzuki, and Poehling at C, and Romanov coming to play as early as next year. Domi, Gallagher, and Drouin are decent top sixers. Armia looks good. Danault continues to surpass himself.

Weber is still a top pairing D.

And you want to tank? Because of how well it has worked in EDM and BUF?

You got a decent LHD for nothing. Enjoy it.
MTL. Is a decent team with the chance to be far more than that in the near future.

mrinsane

Dec 8, 2005
Scandella is a better fit than Reilly less offensicet upside but more physical and safe in défensive. If Scandy play with Petry or Fleury it could be good but not on the 1rst pair. If the Habs want they can flip him

Jul 6, 2016
I'm not sure he's an upgrade over Kulak, who's played well since getting back into the lineup. Unless plans on flipping him or Kulak at the deadline.

Kulak did not play well at all..... He is heading to the stands now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad