Confirmed Trade: [MTL/BUF] Marco Scandella for 2020 4th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul 6, 2016
Scandella is a better fit than Reilly less offensicet upside but more physical and safe in défensive. If Scandy play with Petry or Fleury it could be good but not on the 1rst pair. If the Habs want they can flip him

Scandella won't play on the first pair for sure. Chiarot plays with Weber already and is doing fine.

Reactions: Steeler23

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Really nice piece to get for a 4th rounder. I could see him working well with Petry. I knew his cousin in University so it's cool that he's coming home.

Reactions: CanadiensforLife

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Pretty slick set of swaps for Montreal. Upgrading from Reilly to Scandella for basically moving back half a round in the middle of the draft where it's a crapshoot anyway? That's not too shabby at all. Even if Scandella isn't an earth-shattering upgrade, it's still moving in the right direction at a position of serious need for Montreal...for basically nothing but a little cap space for the rest of the year (of which they have plenty enough).

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
Pretty slick set of swaps for Montreal. Upgrading from Reilly to Scandella for basically moving back half a round in the middle of the draft where it's a crapshoot anyway? That's not too shabby at all. Even if Scandella isn't an earth-shattering upgrade, it's still moving in the right direction at a position of serious need for Montreal...for basically nothing but a little cap space for the rest of the year (of which they have plenty enough).
I don’t consider $2.5m in cap space little not to mention to the actual money paid out. This is a 40 game trial for next year for a native Montrealer who has a potential to play the 4 to 8 defence slots

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The only MTL fans who seem to be mad about this and the Kovalchuk deals are the ones who want the team to tank.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
The only MTL fans who seem to be mad about this and the Kovalchuk deals are the ones who want the team to tank.

I would hate to be a Habs player and have my gm do nothing to help while being injury depleted. This sends a message to the players and coach that he has their back and sets up a sell-off at tdl.

Reactions: Steeler23

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don’t consider $2.5m in cap space little not to mention to the actual money paid out. This is a 40 game trial for next year for a native Montrealer who has a potential to play the 4 to 8 defence slots

I mean, it's not nothing...but out of this whole swap, Buffalo end up adding just as much cap with Frolik...who i'd say is the less useful player for most teams. Just so happens Buffalo have a logjam of Bottom-4 LHD and most of them are younger and more likely to be kept beyond this summer.

Getting a 40-game trial out of Scandella just makes it even more useful...even if it adds a little bit to the accrued cap hit. Getting a longer look and more time to adjust is beneficial. Montreal have plenty cap space, and a bunch of retroactive LTIR options if it somehow comes to that. It's not like the NFL where you can roll cap space over to next year or anything - it's a "use it or lose it" situation, and their ownership have lots of money to spend to the limit and beyond. What better to spend it on, than auditioning a LHD who might help plug a hole the Habs have had for years now?

They have absolutely zero commitment to Scandella beyond this year. But he's a guy who has been a reliable Top-4 LHD before, and isn't that old. Taking a shot on auditioning a hometown guy who might get a little rejuvenating spark out of that and would fill a major need...is probably about the best realistic use of $2.5M or whatever in cap space that isn't being used. That's a tiny price to pay for an upgrade at a glaring position of need.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
I would hate to be a Habs player and have my gm do nothing to help while being injury depleted. This sends a message to the players and coach that he has their back and sets up a sell-off at tdl.

But.. but.. we don't care about every players and staff member feelings.. Our feelings as fans are more important!!! Us fans DESERVE Lafrenière!!

PS: Bergevin is the worst human being in the universe!!!

/s /s

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

At this point, unless we lose like 80% of the games, we are never going to be THAT bad to get Lafreniere. Lottery? Sure, but very, very unlikely.

I agree with the sentiment that it's better to lose big and get a franchise player...but it's too late for that. There is no way that the Habs players are all going to agree to mail it in so....we are going to see-saw once in mediocrity.

Reactions: Junohockeyfan

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Scandella looked good last night. Had a couple of rushes, some SOG(one of which was a bomb that rang off the crossbar), passed and skated well. Looked decent defending, also, though it always takes time to understand a new teams system.

I understand why BUF made the trade, but MTL got a bargain.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
yea he's been good for us minus last game, really solid 3rd pair guy who can move up and down

logik47

Sep 14, 2014
Would you offer him an extension next July?

His current cap hit is 4 millions...

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
yea he's been good for us minus last game, really solid 3rd pair guy who can move up and down

Good? Come on... he skates around, chasing behind the play and despite his size, is about as fierce as Jonathan Drouin. He sucks.

Scandella was acquired for a bag of pucks from Buffalo and since then, has managed to lose value if anything. He "can move up and down" because Montreal's blueline is at a historic worse.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That giveaway to the Dallas player in the slot? He'd fit right in with the Leafs....

If consider for a moment that defensively he was one of the Sabres better defenseman. And he was still prone to making that kind of gaffe. It’s been a long decade...

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
He'll clearly get a 4th. Maybe a 3rd since teams have more place under the cap than in January. Montreal can retain to make it happen.

He is the classic depth D trade deadline acquisition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->