GDT: MTL @ BUF - 7pm TV: NHLN/MSG+/SN1 Radio:WGR - Quest for .500

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
I don't want a step back - but sports always find a way to hurt me.

This is my persistent state. I grew up getting crushed by the Bills, then switched over to hockey to get crushed by the Sabres. I generally hate the game of football, but still watch it in the way that a drifting churchgoer might go every week despite getting nothing out of it. It is an ambivalent obligation, nothing more.

I love hockey, but I am basically done giving the NHL any money or time. They are so poorly managed, and somehow the product just continues to get worse each year, or at least my perception of it has. It feels like a parody of a professional sports league, a trite sitcom where you suspend any sense of logic and just laugh at the easy jokes. But I still really like sports message boards.

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
This is my persistent state. I grew up getting crushed by the Bills, then switched over to hockey to get crushed by the Sabres. I generally hate the game of football, but still watch it in the way that a drifting churchgoer might go every week despite getting nothing out of it. It is an ambivalent obligation, nothing more.

I love hockey, but I am basically done giving the NHL any money or time. They are so poorly managed, and somehow the product just continues to get worse each year, or at least my perception of it has. It feels like a parody of a professional sports league, a trite sitcom where you suspend any sense of logic and just laugh at the easy jokes. But I still really like sports message boards.

I honestly wish I could remove myself from caring about sports. It just more and more seems less worth it. The lows are so low and prolonged, while the highs are fleeting and never pay off.

The time I put into the Sabres, Bills and Blue Jays is vehemently not worth the disappointment and miserable moods I get into. But like a junkie I can't drop the habit and day to day I am thinking, watching and talking about it.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Interesting that the minute he has a shaky game he's tending to an injury. You have to wonder if it isn't something he would have played through under normal circumstances. Or perhaps he should not have been playing with it in the first place.
Or he’s just injured

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I know this is a dumb thought, but god does the NHL schedule just seem stupid. In regards to spacing and how many games get played some nights
Also stupid that you need to do so much foot work just to figure out how you can watch each game.

I honestly wish I could remove myself from caring about sports. It just more and more seems less worth it. The lows are so low and prolonged, while the highs are fleeting and never pay off.

The time I put into the Sabres, Bills and Blue Jays is vehemently not worth the disappointment and miserable moods I get into. But like a junkie I can't drop the habit and day to day I am thinking, watching and talking about it.
I consider sports to be a destructive addiction in my life these days to be honest. I have a hard time quitting, even though I've wanted to for a while.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Also stupid that you need to do so much foot work just to figure out how you can watch each game.
Capture.PNG

The schedule on Sabres.com is pretty straightforward to me.

They will be on MSG for the rest of October.

:dunno:

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Can't overlook MTL. They came into our house and beat us in October last season. They outworked us and had a little puck luck go their way.

Sabres need to come into this with the mindset that they're going to outwork MTL or it could end up going the same way.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I know this is a dumb thought, but god does the NHL schedule just seem stupid. In regards to spacing and how many games get played some nights
My favorite is when they have a bunch of games slated for puck drop at 7 and they all start late, but within a small enough timeframe that the entire league is on intermission simultaneously.

Regarding this game: another workmanlike effort would be great. Hope Tuch gets off the schneid here.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I mean, this is the type of game a playoff team wins. A team you should beat at home. No built in schedule excuses, no major injury issues. Just a team that you finished way ahead of last year. No excuses, just win.
They lost a few games like this last year where they needed a win, but would lose against a shit team then go on a losing streak.

The Philly game comes to mind.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Can't overlook MTL. They came into our house and beat us in October last season. They outworked us and had a little puck luck go their way.

Sabres need to come into this with the mindset that they're going to outwork MTL or it could end up going the same way.
I've spent way too much of my life underestimating them (basically all of the 2000s). They show up to games most of the time, regardless who their coach is.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

I used to be like that, but Ive learned not to ride the lows for too long.

Last year, my grandma was dying, and I looked to Buffalo sports for a positive escape from reality for a few hours a night. Unfortunately, the Sabres and Bills decided to suck ass during those few weeks. That put a lot into perspective for me. Buffalo sports has rarely ever given me that positive escape I needed. 13 seconds also taught me how to deal with traumatic losses well.

I still get excited as hell for the Ws, but when the Ls come- I just move on with my day and avoid sports media for a while. I will say, if the Sabres ever become contenders again, I'm willing to bet I'll be riding those lows harder. Im just more invested in them.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I'd like to see Clifton, EJ, Dahlin, Greenway, etc bully Caufield tonight. Make him feel this game for a week on. We're bigger and badder now, time to remind them.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Interesting that the minute he has a shaky game he's tending to an injury. You have to wonder if it isn't something he would have played through under normal circumstances. Or perhaps he should not have been playing with it in the first place.

There was a lot of viewing commentary about how Levi did not look settled nor himself in the last game, so perhaps there is visual evidence that something was not right?

Edit - also, if he's actually well, this is his childhood team they are facing. I'm sure he'd be beating the door to Granato's office down if he could actually go and this was some sort of nefarious plot.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

As someone with a severe dopamine shortage, I can say that I let the Jays drop away in the '90's and the Bills around the early 2000's. I just can't find a f*** to give about either. Hockey in general I love but the NHL product has so many issues that I find myself wondering at (and saddened by) the time I have spent on this team in particular.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I'd like to see Clifton, EJ, Dahlin, Greenway, etc bully Caufield tonight. Make him feel this game for a week on. We're bigger and badder now, time to remind them.
They have WiFi who will fight anyone and can fight. This could get ugly.

Reactions: Chainshot

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
I agree. If I was in charge, every team would play 2 games on Friday-Saturday- Sunday. Most working stiffs can only make weekend games.

During the week would be fillers

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I still get excited as hell for the Ws, but when the Ls come- I just move on with my day and avoid sports media for a while. I will say, if the Sabres ever become contenders again, I'm willing to bet I'll be riding those lows harder. Im just more invested in them.
This is the way. If the Sabres are sucking I just turn the game off and get off sports sites or social media. Don't need to spend 2 hours after a disappointing game having everyone tell me I should be mad/sad and how everything sucks.

• Love
Reactions: Dex

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
This is the way. If the Sabres are sucking I just turn the game off and get off sports sites or social media. Don't need to spend 2 hours after a disappointing game having everyone tell me I should be mad/sad and how everything sucks.
There is an eternal pit of sorrow that I do NOT expect to be left alone in. Come have a drink with me there!

1698006123776.png

Reactions: Paxon and Mattilaus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad