Post-Game Talk: MTL beats NJ in OT 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
I just want Tedenby off this team. Would be nice if it happened tomorrow, and we could bring up Butler. See what he can do before Henrique gets back. I still think it's more than possible Butler got the shaft because of special treatment for Tedenby.

I'd like to see more out of Teddy but it's tough to pin anything on a guy who is playing under 10 minutes a night. Is he playing to his potential? Maybe, but not to the hype. I agree with one thing though - if he can't find a spot on our top 6, then we need to move him to another team. We discount him here but he's still a 22 year old first rounder. Late bloomer, possibly, but also perhaps NJ is expecting too much in asking him to play solid defense as well?

Columbus has 3 first round picks this year. If we could package him and get the last of their 3 picks or maybe just Tedenby for their 2nd rounder, I don't think I'd hesitate.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Clown desk on NBCSN actually giving props to Pete and the team for being able to come up with wins.
Admittedly served up a hearty dish of crow on air (and looked miserable doing it)

That was fun to watch after a game that wasn't so fun.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
these new age refs collectively suck a hugeeee dong. its ot, and he went down like a 4 year old. and its cole. ugh. whatever.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
If Larsson doesn't get to play after the showing that the D put on tonight, then you might as well let him play in the AHL or something.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'd like to see more out of Teddy but it's tough to pin anything on a guy who is playing under 10 minutes a night. Is he playing to his potential? Maybe, but not to the hype. I agree with one thing though - if he can't find a spot on our top 6, then we need to move him to another team. We discount him here but he's still a 22 year old first rounder. Late bloomer, possibly, but also perhaps NJ is expecting too much in asking him to play solid defense as well?

Columbus has 3 first round picks this year. If we could package him and get the last of their 3 picks or maybe just Tedenby for their 2nd rounder, I don't think I'd hesitate.

He is small, and unlike say Lil Gio he doesn't play bigger then he actually is, which doesn't fit our system at all, especially when you are on the bottom 6 lines. He has speed, but he can't grind, and doesn't have the pure skills to worth it to keep around. I bet he could be decent in another system that plays fast and less physical, but that isn't The Devils. I'd be fine cutting our losses, and if we can get draft picks out of it I'd take them in a heart beat. (or package him with the D and get a better forward in return) IDK how but I think it would be to our benefit and his benefit to get him out of here.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I am not buying this "we didn't deserve the point" talk. We all know we didn't play well in our own end, but we scored 3 fair, hard earned goals to tie this game, and we tightened up when we had to. We also had some calls not go our way, but our PK overall did a good job too. Did we deserve to lose? Ya I'd say so, but I think we still earned our point. Now I am glad Pete is saying that, and holding guys feet to the fire so they can step their game up, but as fans I think we can give the team a little credit for not quitting and fighting back.

Buying what you're selling 100%.
It wasn't a pretty game to watch, but these games happen.
The Devils got as far as they did last year by learning how to battle through adversity and keep fighting.

They had to blow a few leads to do it, they had to keep pushing through OTs and SOs to get the job done - but they learned how to win by sticking with it.

It seems to be the opposite start this year. They come out skating like they're in mud each 1st period and have to capitalize on the chances they allow themselves. Which, they've been able to do for the most part.

At this point, the team can only get better.
I blame an early start in the beginning of the season screwing with everybody, hence the scrambled start - and they held themselves accountable for that slow start all the way through OT.

This game was a good wake up call, no more excuses since they couldn't pull off the W this time... Boston will be a big test. Pete's been a good enough coach through his time here to start plugging the holes that need to be filled.

It took a few failed experiments, but it'll get there.
Luckily we have a GM and a coach who are far more patient than us.

DevilChuk*

No way Tedenby returns a first round pick or even a 2nd rounder right now. Mid-round pick at best (4th/5th). If we are going to trade him (I don't think we will or should bother), it'd be best in a package.

Hades

Apr 12, 2009
The penalty was deserved. That gets called 9 times out of 10, and if you check the replay from the good angle, it was indeed penalty worthy. Forget the "let them play" crap. Playing fair is part of the game; if you break the rules, you get called. Simple as that.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
The penalty was deserved. That gets called 9 times out of 10, and if you check the replay from the good angle, it was indeed penalty worthy. Forget the "let them play" crap. Playing fair is part of the game; if you break the rules, you get called. Simple as that.

Just let people vent. There's no need to stir up ****.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I agree the ref is probably going to call that every time but I saw Cole and Malkin hit the deck like sack of bricks today to draw penalties. This is after hearing about how hte league is trying to crack down on divers this year. Doesn't seem accurate thus far.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Just let people vent. There's no need to stir up ****.

Its utterly unbelievable how people don't realize that rationality has no place in a PGT of a losing team. I mean damn, I could go on any Habs (or any other teams) PTG after a loss and find stuff a million times worse and more irrational than complaining about a questionable call.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Its utterly unbelievable how people don't realize how rationality has no place in a PGT of a losing team. I mean damn, I could go on any Habs (or any other teams) PTG after a loss and find stuff a million times worse and more irrational than complaining about a questionable call.

Understandable if we were out on the mainboards trying to rally the troops like some games have inspired... but after a loss, people are going to find things to go off about. No real surprise, right? :laugh:

I tend to avoid the boards of teams we're playing, just because I know I'm not going to like what I see. Does that make too much sense?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

See you in 1993 BRAH!

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

He doesn't even play good offense. Remember when he air mailed it over the empty net against the Isles? He did that many times last year when he was up too.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago

When your team plays in the biggest hockey market in the world but are irrelevant year after year I guess you take what you can get.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
When your team plays in the biggest hockey market in the world but are irrelevant year after year I guess you take what you can get.

LOL! It pisses me off when posters come onto the opposing teams board after a game. I hate ripping fanbases cause there's plenty of good people in all fanbases, but it's pretty much just trolling.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Only saw the first period, I had to leave but I just watched the highlights. Glad we were able salvage a point but our D was atrocious.

And was the penalty in OT a weak call, or are we just all being butthurt about losing?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Only saw the first period, I had to leave but I just watched the highlights. Glad we were able salvage a point but our D was atrocious.

And was the penalty in OT a weak call, or are we just all being butthurt about losing?

It was a dive by Cole. Can't blame them for calling it cause it was a fantastic act. It also wouldn't have had to happen had we not turned the puck over for the bazillionth time. The team was a bakery tonight. Every single goal except the OT winner was the cause of a turnover. You can say that was too cause the penalty wouldn't have happened.

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey
Larsson better be in Tuesday or I really just don't know what the hell this team is doing and I will always hate Cole for that headshot he dished out on Larsson last year.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
For those thinking Boston will clean our clocks on Tuesday, do keep in mind they will be playing the night before in Carolina. That "should" work in NJ's favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad