Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Alex Radulov (1 year, $5.750M AAV)

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014

He looked at him right before obviously words were exchanged, guess chara didnt even know he was close to patches I mean they were nowhere close to each other

Was talking to
Head coach further. Soon as he hit him his
Neck goes further right and lifts left hand to apologize. Calm down

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
why trade Subban?

is it because Bergevin and Therrien think Weber is the better player? if that's the case then they're both morons.

imo they both confirmed that by bringing in a person like Radulov.

I personally think it's their too close, and would rather have Subban because of what he does off the ice but it's clear that to a lot of hockey people Weber is clearly better.

Team canada recently twice one has picked Weber to be their #1 RD and picked Subban to be the number #4 once and not even on the top 4 another.

These hockey people are..

Stevie Y
Doug Armstrong
Babcock( all have said he has had big say in picking the players(
Ken Holland
Claude Julien
Barry Trotz
Ken Hitchoxk
Lindy Ruff

Opeth

Jun 27, 2007
Greatest talent outside the NHL at the moment, great signing, better than the scrap signings shown today.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
I personally think it's their too close, and would rather have Subban because of what he does off the ice but it's clear that to a lot of hockey people Weber is clearly better.

Team canada recently twice one has picked Weber to be their #1 RD and picked Subban to be the number #4 once and not even on the top 4 another.

These hockey people are..

Stevie Y
Doug Armstrong
Babcock( all have said he has had big say in picking the players(
Ken Holland
Claude Julien
Barry Trotz
Ken Hitchoxk
Lindy Ruff

In the world cup of hockey, where the games being played are much different. Also, just because they're picked doesn't mean they're better. Jake Muzzin was selected over Subban, does that mean Muzzin is also better? No, they just felt it was a better fit. Team Canada has been anal about their RD/LD combination since Babcock became their HC, so the whole Weber>Subban argument because of a bloody WC roster selection needs to be laid to rest.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Why would that shut anyone up? He's getting paid like he puts up 60+ points so he better match that.. Most people are just up in arms regarding why they'd trade Subban for supposedly having attitude/personality issues, and then a few days later sign Radulov. His attitude issues have been well documented.

Lol :laugh:
Have you been paying attention to all the contracts that were signed today?

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
I hope he has 40 points by the all star break and Bergevin signs him to an 8 year contract.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
Lol :laugh:
Have you been paying attention to all the contracts that were signed today?

Yes? And what does that have to do with you ignoring the fact that 99% of the issue people have with this signing has to do with Radulov and his well-known attitude issues. Not his ability to score goals and rack up points. Everyone knows he can do that.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Jeez, do people not realize the habs have a whole lot less invested in Radulov than they had in Subban. If there's a character issue you let Radulov walk in a year and lose 6 mil. If there's an issue with Subban you have him for 6 years at 9mil.

At the end of the day Radulov, Weber, Shaw, healthy Price, Montoya >>>>> Subban, Eller

The Habs are now a better team. Suck it hfboards

Exactly how I feel. Even if you only compare Radulov with Subban, which seems to be the issue here because they say we got rid of a problem child only to bring in another one.

I'd rather have a potential problem child for 1 year at 5.75M than one for 6 years at 9M with a NMC making it difficult to move him when things REALLY hit the fan. Subban is an amazing hockey player, but I'm past his departure.

But I also agree with you that all of our acquisitions excite me far more than our departures.

Add to that Bergevin signed Carr for 2 seasons and gave Serhachev his first ELC today.

The Summer of Marc (as TSN690 calls it) is in full effect!

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
Jeez, do people not realize the habs have a whole lot less invested in Radulov than they had in Subban. If there's a character issue you let Radulov walk in a year and lose 6 mil. If there's an issue with Subban you have him for 6 years at 9mil.

At the end of the day Radulov, Weber, Shaw, healthy Price, Montoya >>>>> Subban, Eller

Weber and Subban are pushes, both teams are going to locations that will make better use of their skillset. Therrien loves the traditional guy in Weber and Nashville wanted a mobile puck mover in Subban. Neither team is getting a "better" player in that sense, they're just getting better fits in the short term.

Shaw and Eller aren't much different either except Shaw is more physical.

Price was going to be healthy with or without Weber or Subban, Montoya is a backup who is better than Condon but ideally wouldn't be playing enough to make a noticeable difference anyway.

You could make a really good case that Radulov is the only major upgrade the Habs actually made so far, and even he could be a hit or miss proposition. I expect he'll score 50+ points but as a whole the roster elsewhere isn't better so much as different. And moving in the opposite direction of teams like Pittsburgh, Washington, and Tampa Bay.

Yes they could be better next year, but they're still not at the level of contenders in a top heavy eastern conference and they sacrificed a lot of wins and cap flexibility 3-5 years from now for the privilege of being a middle tier team this next season.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Yes? And what does that have to do with you ignoring the fact that 99% of the issue people have with this signing has to do with Radulov and his well-known attitude issues. Not his ability to score goals and rack up points. Everyone knows he can do that.

But those attitude issues were 3-4-5 years ago. Montreal media reached out to their Russian connections and they've all been praising how Radulov has turned it around off the ice the last 2 years.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Weber and Shaw are both pretty bad contracts going forward, Price being healthy isn't an acquisition and Montoya is not much of anything to get excited about.

Radulov may be good in the nhl, we'll see.

Opeth

Jun 27, 2007
People change, people grow up, people gain maturity, the guy was 22 when he was a problem. He's now 29, married and has a child with something to prove. I think he'll turn out okay. Just a guess. :)

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
My comment was regarding your point about being paid like a 60 point player.
I was furious about the Subban trade, and I was even more furious when people started citing character as the reason.
Having said that, I think its STUPID to bring the Subban trade into the conversation when evaluating this signing. I think this is a brilliant signing. HE is by far the most talented forward that was avilable today, and that is exactly what the Habs needed. As for his attitude problems...Who cares? This is a one year deal not a long term commitment. IF he isn't a fit we won't bring him back, it is as simple as that. So everyone in this thread that are bringing up character issues to hate on this signing are simply hating and would probably be thrilled if it were their team that signed Radulov.
Happy Canada day folks!:yo:

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
My comment was regarding your point about being paid like a 60 point player.
I was furious about the Subban trade, and I was even more furious when people started citing character as the reason.
Having said that, I think its STUPID to bring the Subban trade into the conversation when evaluating this signing. I think this is a brilliant signing. HE is by far the most talented forward that was avilable today, and that is exactly what the Habs needed. As for his attitude problems...Who cares? This is a one year deal not a long term commitment. IF he isn't a fit we won't bring him back, it is as simple as that. So everyone in this thread that are bringing up character issues to hate on this signing are simply hating and would probably be thrilled if it were their team that signed Radulov.
Happy Canada day folks!:yo:

I mean, I wouldn't care if my team signed Radulov, but just given the Habs situation over the past few days I don't see why it is stupid to bring it up in relation to this signing.

And fair enough. He should be a 60 point player. My original point was that nobody has really questioned whether he is worth the money or if he can score or not, for the vast majority it's been about the character issues.

Happy Canada Day to you as well. :cheers:

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
In the world cup of hockey, where the games being played are much different. Also, just because they're picked doesn't mean they're better. Jake Muzzin was selected over Subban, does that mean Muzzin is also better? No, they just felt it was a better fit. Team Canada has been anal about their RD/LD combination since Babcock became their HC, so the whole Weber>Subban argument because of a bloody WC roster selection needs to be laid to rest.

I never mentioned Muzzin and didn't add him in my calculation. Based on play Subban for sure should be on the team and if he was a LD he would be a lock but he is a RD. You clearly see they see Weber over Subban both are RD playing the same positions...

2014 and now it was Weber Doughty AP over subban

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Weber and Shaw are both pretty bad contracts going forward, Price being healthy isn't an acquisition and Montoya is not much of anything to get excited about.

Montoya is a lot better than Condon/Scrivens.

Shaw maybe. But he's young. I don't expect a drop off and he's better than Eller as an NHL player.

As for Weber, most elite defenders play well into their 30's nowadays. Lidstrom didn't win his first Norris until he was as old as Weber is now. Chara not until he was older. I'm not worried about him. He'll give the habs 6 or 7 years. Those last 3 years are LTIR or retirement years or send to a cap floor team years. Habs will get full value. Subban wasn't going to be in Montreal past this current deal anyways.

Last edited:

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
I never mentioned Muzzin and didn't add him in my calculation. Based on play Subban for sure should be on the team and if he was a LD he would be a lock but he is a RD. You clearly see they see Weber over Subban both are RD playing the same positions...

2014 and now it was Weber Doughty AP over subban

No, it's really not that clear. They just like the fit better. Doesn't mean the better player was chosen, which is why it's sort of stupid to bring up a World Cup selection when arguing who is better than the other.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

The way I see it:

- Although Shaw and Eller were involved in separate trades, Habs basically gave Eller to sign Shaw. Eller at 3.5 or Shaw at 3.9 is a difference of 400K. Not a big difference when Shaw responds to Habs' need to be harder to play against and add some sandpaper. Term can be disputed, but if that's what it took to sign him, then it is what it is. There is no NTC or NMC attached so he can be moved.

- Weber is a smaller cap hit than Subban by about 1.2M. He is an elite D still in his prime. Yes, he's got 10 years left, but if he retires before, it's Nashville who pays, not Habs. He also does not carry a NTC or NMC.

- Radulov is a risk, but a calculated one. Habs tried Briere, Parenteau, and Semin the last 3 years to help with their top-6, but this one is the most hopeful for Habs to be rewarded with. Only time will tell. His off-ice issues don't seem to be a problem anymore. If they are an issue, at 1 year, it's all worth it.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
No, it's really not that clear. They just like the fit better. Doesn't mean the better player was chosen, which is why it's sort of stupid to bring up a World Cup selection when arguing who is better than the other.

Please example a better better fit in terms of the RD positions picked, that's Weber, Doughty, AP and Burns this year but Subban was 4th in 2014...

Had it been for the 3rd-4th RD spot and they took Weber over Subban maybe you pull that. Weber is number 1 on the RD depth chart Subban is 4-5th..

I mean bad it been a LD vs RD it would not be clear to compare but I don't think it can be anyone more clear of what those hockey guys feel about Weber over Subban.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
Please example a better better fit in terms of the RD positions picked, that's Weber, Doughty, AP and Burns this year but Subban was 4th in 2014...

Had it been for the 3rd-4th RD spot and they took Weber over Subban maybe you pull that. Weber is number 1 on the RD depth chart Subban is 4-5th..

I mean bad it been a LD vs RD it would not be clear to compare but I don't think it can be anyone more clear of what those hockey guys feel about Weber over Subban.

I'm just saying, there's a reason it was arguably the most discussed omission from the team. Back then I recall a ton of Habs fans being pretty upset that Subban was left off, but I guess that changed since he is no longer a part of your team..

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
I'm just saying, there's a reason it was arguably the most discussed omission from the team. Back then I recall a ton of Habs fans being pretty upset that Subban was left off, but I guess that changed since he is no longer a part of your team..

I love Subban and he for sure should be on the team, specially over AP

What in saying saying is the extreme people have gone to make it seem like a lopsided trade.

Even the argument ppl try to make for it is not true and unlikely. For ppl say Weber contract is too long when it's 99.9% likely a 7 year deal when he retires at 37-38 since he won't want to play for 1M per year.

cafelatte

Jan 11, 2014
People change, people grow up, people gain maturity, the guy was 22 when he was a problem. He's now 29, married and has a child with something to prove. I think he'll turn out okay. Just a guess. :)

This ... people referring to his past behaviour fail to realise it all happened in his young 20s ... He's now almost 30, got married and has a child. He has grown up and gained maturity ... that's the rationale behind the signing. Period. Get over it.

Much like people still wondering why Subban got traded ... Jesus murphy ... the idea was not to get a better hockey player but to get one as close as possible in return while getting rid of the cancer in the locker room.

hockeyrules123

Oct 2, 2011
Exactly how I feel. Even if you only compare Radulov with Subban, which seems to be the issue here because they say we got rid of a problem child only to bring in another one.

I'd rather have a potential problem child for 1 year at 5.75M than one for 6 years at 9M with a NMC making it difficult to move him when things REALLY hit the fan. Subban is an amazing hockey player, but I'm past his departure.

But I also agree with you that all of our acquisitions excite me far more than our departures.

Add to that Bergevin signed Carr for 2 seasons and gave Serhachev his first ELC today.

The Summer of Marc (as TSN690 calls it) is in full effect!

:yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad