MSG permit extension hits a major snag

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
It wasn't just about the Dodgers (although it was mentioned in the article that Brooklyn on its own probably would have built them a stadium). It also said that in the 80s when companies were leaving NYC and going to the suburbs, Brooklyn might have been able to compete for them as a separate city.

Also, Brooklyn is the only one that still talks about where they would rank in they were a separate city. You never hear people from Queens saying "if Queens was a separate city it would be the 4th largest city in America" like you do people from Brooklyn.
Part of that is because Queens wasn't a separate city before unification. It was a county. And only the five westernmost towns in that county were annexed by the city. The remaining twins to the east were still part of Queens County, but not the Borough of Queens, for a year after the consolidation. It was quickly realized that was unworkable, so those eastern towns were split off into Nassau County. Conversely, the Bronx (originally New York City's annexed district, officially) was made a separate borough but was still part of New York County until 1914, when Bronx County was established, making it the newest county (and smallest by area) in New York State.

Brooklyn had already grown to annex all of Kings County before consolidation, so all of Brooklyn was already under a single municipal government and county court system before 1898. That's not true for any of the other outer boroughs. Big part of why it has such a strong identity.

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
Oh, no need to look it up! I'm a Mets fan, but one of the first baseball books I read as a kid was Whitey Herzog's book... where the dynamic between Whitey and Gussie Busch was featured, and Whitey told that story of the stadium name.

For those also reading: Cardinals owner Gussie Busch (not sure which one, there were four), owned both the Cardinals and Anheiser-Busch Brewery. He wanted to name the new stadium Budweiser Stadium, but baseball wouldn't let him, saying they can't name their stadium after alcohol products.

So Gussie Busch named it Busch Stadium after himself... THEN two years later, launched Busch Beer from his brewery.
Also to note about Busch is that it's heavy "mountain" branding (I'm sure anyone over a certain age remembers the epic jingle) was an attempt to ape the look and feel of Coors, which was getting a major name at the time but was still only available west of Texas (remember the plot of Smokey and the Bandit?)

Reactions: DaveG

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Also to note about Busch is that it's heavy "mountain" branding (I'm sure anyone over a certain age remembers the epic jingle) was an attempt to ape the look and feel of Coors, which was getting a major name at the time but was still only available west of Texas (remember the plot of Smokey and the Bandit?)

I just like the "creative logistics" to achieve the goal. It's just awesome to bypass the MLB rules by naming it after yourself and launching a brand after yourself to get the result of a stadium named after your beer.

That's what John Grisham writes novels about. (BTW, as a Mets fan who posts on message boards a lot, the word "writes" is hard for me to type. Keeps coming out "Wrights").

It reminds me of when Casey Stengel was a player, manager and GM of a team and he got a better offer from another team. The owner told him he couldn't leave. So he went back to his office and....
- released player Casey Stengel
- fired manager Casey Stengel
- turned his is letter of resignation as GM.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Mayor wants to extend permit 10 years however Dolan has to agree to work with MTA.

Why do I feel like the EASIEST, and most cost-efficient is for the city/state/MTA/whoever to build Dolan a new arena NEAR the area and then trade buildings with Dolan just like they are playing Monopoly?

• Haha
Reactions: rsteen

Foxy

Oct 5, 2020
Mayor wants to extend permit 10 years however Dolan has to agree to work with MTA.

Why do I feel like the EASIEST, and most cost-efficient is for the city/state/MTA/whoever to build Dolan a new arena NEAR the area and then trade buildings with Dolan just like they are playing Monopoly?

I have a feeling nothing happens now for another 10 years. Amtrak just got a new station, LIRR just got a facelift, so I can't see either of them as desperate to spend billions on a new station again. The MTA has already said they want to spend zero dollars buying property from MSG and with Hochul and Vornado (the owners of 2 Penn) backing away from their Penn Station redesign plan, the triggering of the 30 percent clause won't happen for years, if ever.

In 8 years, if Gateway is underway and Metro North customers are flooding the station, then you sit down and actually try to work out a real deal. Not some last minute attempt at lets make a deal.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

To me, this just underscores the hollowness of the permit threat. They ran into a wall with how far they wanted to go with the Penn Station stuff. Now they're just trying to buy another 10 years in the hopes that Dolan sells the team before it expires and they're working with someone else by then. What mechanisms do they have to claim that he's not cooperating and what are the thresholds? One person's cooperating is another person's not. A claim that he isn't will just get tied up in court.

You're right about something: at the very least that the easiest and most cost-effective solution here is to give Dolan land for a new stadium and help some with the construction costs, even if it's just clearing the land. The optics of that, though, are another story.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Obviously current functionality is the most important point to address moving forward. Though it may be worth pointing out from a righting a “historic wrong” perspective, that the current MSG has now stood on that site longer than the original above ground Penn Station did.

Last edited:

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
To me, this just underscores the hollowness of the permit threat. They ran into a wall with how far they wanted to go with the Penn Station stuff. Now they're just trying to buy another 10 years in the hopes that Dolan sells the team before it expires and they're working with someone else by then. What mechanisms do they have to claim that he's not cooperating and what are the thresholds? One person's cooperating is another person's not. A claim that he isn't will just get tied up in court.

You're right about something: at the very least that the easiest and most cost-effective solution here is to give Dolan land for a new stadium and help some with the construction costs, even if it's just clearing the land. The optics of that, though, are another story.
Agreed on what constitutes "cooperating". It is VERY subjective. There will be someone on the council/commission/whatever who expects Dolan to meet with them everyday for 8 hours per day until they figure it out. When he refuses, they will threaten to pull permit and it will get tied up in court.

Foxy

Oct 5, 2020
Its official as of this morning's meeting. MSG gave close to nothing away to get 10 more years.

Madison Square Garden be given a ten-year extension of its special permit to operate a large arena atop Penn Station.... MSG made “a number of commitments,” including getting the huge tractor trailers off of 33rd St. and dressing up the bleak façade along Eighth Avenue, with three dimensional signage highlighting the importance of the spot.

Reactions: SirJW

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Foxy

Oct 5, 2020
More evidence of a toothless threat.
Yeah lol, "Move the Trucks and dress up the façade a little bit." I know I'd get much worse from my local planning board just trying to build a fence.

Last edited:

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
What were people expecting?

Billions of dollars in that spot, brings in tons more revenue for the city and (I assume there isn't a waiver) taxes to the city/state and the only real benefit was potentially to make travelling through that station on public transit slightly better in some immeasurable way for the people that transit through the station while creating a transit issue on game/event days for some other station(s)?

ETA: Since I've been old enough to pay attention, I've always lived in sales tax/tourist heavy areas where sales/use taxes are more important due to lack of income taxes. I may overvalue bringing people into a spot to spend money.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Pretty much. I have said it many times. Every few years some politician who is trying to make a name for themselves brings it up, a few people rally behind it. Nothing happens, the politician loses an election and fades back into obscurity.

Yep. And it's like those politicians and people in NYC (and even in this thread) want Dolan to make a bunch of sacrifices out of a sense of civic duty. While that would be nice, it's not really something that can realistically be expected.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Realistically though how many times can they keep renovating MSG? At the end of this permit it will be 65 years old.
The latest renovation was a total rebuild down to the frame done in stages. Actually a really remarkable bit of engineering. It's essentially a 10 year old arena, not a 50 year old arena.

Yep. And it's like those politicians and people in NYC (and even in this thread) want Dolan to make a bunch of sacrifices out of a sense of civic duty. While that would be nice, it's not really something that can realistically be expected.

Also, NYC denying the permit is almost certainly going to regarded by the courts as a regulatory taking- that is, a regulation so onerous that it deprives the owner of all viable financial benefit from the property. In those cases, governments have to compensate the owner the full value of the economic loss, basically just as if they had seized the property under eminent domain. Dolan really doesn't have to give them anything here. The permit is very clearly intended to serve no legitimate governmental objective, just as a tool to extract some level of control over a private property, and courts will not be fooled.

End of the day, if NYC wants MSG out, they are going to have to buy them out, either with an in-kind replacement or to the tune of tens of billions of dollars.

Reactions: DaveG

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
The latest renovation was a total rebuild down to the frame done in stages. Actually a really remarkable bit of engineering. It's essentially a 10 year old arena, not a 50 year old arena.

Also, NYC denying the permit is almost certainly going to regarded by the courts as a regulatory taking- that is, a regulation so onerous that it deprives the owner of all viable financial benefit from the property. In those cases, governments have to compensate the owner the full value of the economic loss, basically just as if they had seized the property under eminent domain. Dolan really doesn't have to give them anything here. The permit is very clearly intended to serve no legitimate governmental objective, just as a tool to extract some level of control over a private property, and courts will not be fooled.

End of the day, if NYC wants MSG out, they are going to have to buy them out, either with an in-kind replacement or to the tune of tens of billions of dollars.

Ah ok, I thought it was more along the lines of the 1992 renovation which I was around for. I figure that by the time this next permit comes to an end, they will be looking at another renovation so maybe they could work something out where the city/state kicks in part of the difference between a new arena and renovating the existing one.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The tax break, which began prior to Dolan’s reign as MSG warden, has cost New York City roughly $1 billion, according to the government agency, which it called a conservative estimate. Dolan is now saving about $43 million per year on property taxes.

The reason for the tax break — which was established in 1982 after threats from the Knicks and Rangers that they’d leave New York City — is outdated, the IBO determined.

“The current location of MSG in Midtown Manhattan and directly above Penn Station, creates optimal conditions for revenue generation that would be impossible to replicate were MSG to move to New Jersey or another major metropolitan area,” read the 30-page report titled, ‘An Examination of the Madison Square Garden Property Tax Exemption.’ “Furthermore because of league restrictions, it would likely prove challenging to co-locate the Rangers and Knicks outside of the New York area to meet both the National Hockey League (NHL) and National Basketball Association (NBA) league requirements, which are designed to prevent sports franchises within leagues from competing in the same regional markets.”

In other words, Dolan is excused from paying taxes because of an unrealistic scenario. The latest attempt to axe the exemption is a budget proposal from Democrats in the state senate. But Gov. Kathy Hochul, whose reelection campaign benefitted from major donations and support from the Dolan family, was noncommittal on the subject.

”What’s been proposed by a senator is certainly something we look at, a lot of ideas are proposed,” Hochul told Good Day New York. “I just want to make sure that we’re doing the right thing with respect to MSG.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad