Mrazek traded to the Flyers

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
It's at worst a fair trade for a mediocre backup who was inevitably going to be a FA, if not this summer then next, and potentially a great trade if Pete hits it out of the park. I hope he does, it would be a win for everyone. Next step is trading Howard this summer and they can start over from scratch with cheap FAs or trading for someone else's backup.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He just didn't seem to understand that managing a cap is a constant crisis, not a one-time thing.
Holland was always too much a country club guy. It probably pained him to buy out Hatcher, Whitney and McCarty and then to let Shanahan go.

But that's the **** that needs to get done on a regular basis.

It wasn't only 05, either.

After a near miss in 07 he had the balls to let Robert Lang and Matthew Schneider walk away.
Lang and Schneider each had 52 points that year.

He also turned smaller pieces over on the blueline, bringing in guys like Bykov and Markov. Part of it was possible because we had Lids back there, but he seemed more comfortable rolling the dice. Holland was pretty darn cavelier before the cap, too. People dismiss it as him buying cups or whatever, but he didn't hesitate to throw picks around, and bring in new faces to fill holes or revamp part of the team. Yeah, he occasionally went out of his way to keep Gilchrist or Brown around, but he didn't throw five year deals at them, either.

It wouldn't surprise me if ownership pushed him to keep the team as steady as possible, and the only way he saw to realistically do that was to be more conservative and stick with what they knew and what was working.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
He also turned smaller pieces over on the blueline, bringing in guys like Bykov and Markov. Part of it was possible because we had Lids back there, but he seemed more comfortable rolling the dice. Holland was pretty darn cavelier before the cap, too. People dismiss it as him buying cups or whatever, but he didn't hesitate to throw picks around, and bring in new faces to fill holes or revamp part of the team. Yeah, he occasionally went out of his way to keep Gilchrist or Brown around, but he didn't throw five year deals at them, either.

It wouldn't surprise me if ownership pushed him to keep the team as steady as possible, and the only way he saw to realistically do that was to be more conservative and stick with what they knew and what was working.

Possibly.
But listening to some of his post-mortem press conferences, I think Holland, at his age, just doesn't feel like sucking for 4-5 years, and struggling through a rebuild.

Problem is, he doesn't seem to understand that he sucks anyway.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Watch Howard get injured now

Howard sucks.
He's been trending down since mid-November while Mrazek was trending up the last 7 weeks.
Remember how much better Howard in mid November with a 2.10 GAA or 935 sv percent or whatever?
And how awful Mrazek was by comparison?

Yeah, well they have virtually the same numbers now.

So if Howard keeps doing what he's done for the last 3 months, this team will lose 2/3rds of their remaining games.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Howard sucks.
He's been trending down since mid-November while Mrazek was trending up the last 7 weeks.
Remember how much better Howard in mid November with a 2.10 GAA or 935 sv percent or whatever?

So if Howard keeps doing what he's done for the last 3 months, this team will lose 2/3rds of their remaining games.

Are you saying this as a negative or a positive?

Last edited:

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Howard sucks.

I would of thought Howard would be moved & not Mrazek

Danrs112

Oct 19, 2017
I could see making this trade if there was a replacement for Howard in pipeline. However, at 34 he's too old to draft one and let develop behind him. That means Wings have to give up more pieces in very near future to acquire one.....

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I could see making this trade if there was a replacement for Howard in pipeline. However, at 34 he's too old to draft one and let develop behind him. That means Wings have to give up more pieces in very near future to acquire one.....
Larsson, Petruzzeli, Van Pottelberghe? We also have Coreau and Machovsky as older ”prospects” that could develop still.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Is it really that hard to understand why they moved Petr? Petr was more attractive to other teams, because his contract is over at seasons end, so if he sucks for the Flyers, then no big deal, they give up a 4th round pick, low risk. Other teams didn't want Howard because of the extra year, so Holland moved they goalie that he could. Holland has made bad signings, but this trade is decent, although you always wish for more, but this could be a 2nd this year and a 3rd next year. More than likely we only get the 4th next year, however considering we could have lost him in expansion for nothing, this is not bad. Love how people do nothing but complain about Mrazek and his inconsistent play, he gets on a tiny streak of decent play and now all this worry that he is traded. There is a large chance Mrazek continues to be the inconsistent starter/backup that he is. And if he got hot for the Flyers, and takes them to the third round and gets resigned, we get a 2nd and a 3rd for a goalie that wasn't really working out.

Danrs112

Oct 19, 2017
Larsson, Petruzzeli, Van Pottelberghe? We also have Coreau and Machovsky as older ”prospects” that could develop still.

While the team is rebuilt Mrazk doesn't have to be good. Hell, if he suckes the next 2-3 years just as well.(improve draft) There was always the chance that he turned it around....and gave time for prospects to play behind him to know if they are truly viable.

I think could have gotten something for Howard now and more later for Mrazk if need be... At very least Should have held out for playoffs team looking at upgrading backup for Howard and then worst case deal with Mrazk later since he'll be RFA.(either resign for one more yeat and trade at next deadline or hope somebody gives him offer sheet).

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Kicking ourselves because we just have a top 5-10 goalie away for peanuts. Kids gonna be great for philly

Where is the evidence that he will be great in Philly? Philly is not some ultra superior team here.

So if you get three second round picks, you've got 1/2 a chance at drafting Mrazek.

Great ****ing plan.

And what does Mrazek accomplish if we keep him? He keeps being what he is for another year or two at most and then we lose him for absolutely nothing, or we at least get something for him now, while he has a little value. I honestly don't see some astonishing difference in his play after this trade.

We don't even know if these guys will ever even play a single NHL game. You can't call them the future. In a perfect world, one of those 3 is ready to go in about 4 years. So what do we do until then? I fear that we will go with Jared Coreau as the starter. What scares me even more is the extension on the way to Jimmy next offseason. I can already see a 3 year, 15 million dollar deal being offered to Howard.

I hate Ken Holland so much. I just wish he would go away. He's similar to that annoying mosquito that continually pisses you off and never seems to leave you alone. Ken Holland is an annoying mosquito.

Are there only like 3 goalies in the whole league or something? There are at least 5-10 NHL level goalies available each offseason and most likely Howard will not be brought back, and if he was it would be a much lower contract. There is a much better chance next summer we have two completely new goalies on our roster, and that Howard, Mrazek and Coreau are no longer on the team.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
And what does Mrazek accomplish if we keep him? He keeps being what he is for another year or two at most and then we lose him for absolutely nothing, or we at least get something for him now, while he has a little value. I honestly don't see some astonishing difference in his play after this trade.

Do you watch Red Wings games? Or do you check the stats.

Did you see the game last night?
Goal 1. Jensen has it. Chips it to a maple leaf. Doesn't cover JVR, who deflects the shot past Mrazek - who has virtually no chance unless the deflection just hits him.
Goal 2. Kronwall passes it from behind the net to AA... but the pass is behind him and AA can't handle it. Puck goes back to Kadri who feeds the Marner in the slot for a point blank chance.
Again, Mrazek has to hope it hits him on a bang-bang play.
Goal 3. Faceoff goes to Jensen on the boards. Jensen pushed off the puck. Nylander gets there before Larkin. Nylander takes to the puck to the goal mouth before AA knocks it loose. But it goes to Matthews at the side of the net and he's not being covered, whatsoever, by Dekeyser, who didn't think it was important to cover the guy.

I get that a lot of goals are breakdowns of some sort But virtually every goal comes from horrible plays by this team's defense.

It's been a long, long time since I saw as many backdoor goals on the Red Wings as I've seen this year. Probably 88 or so.

The point is, bad defenses in bad systems are going to give up higher quality scoring chances and more goals.

If you want to look at GAA and save percentages and say "the goalies suck," fine.

But I think one of the reasons why goalie stats are volatile is because they're so reliant upon the coach's system and the personnel to carry it out.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
It's at worst a fair trade for a mediocre backup who was inevitably going to be a FA, if not this summer then next, and potentially a great trade if Pete hits it out of the park. I hope he does, it would be a win for everyone. Next step is trading Howard this summer and they can start over from scratch with cheap FAs or trading for someone else's backup.

That's true, Howard could also be dealt later.

As much as I like railing on Holland this was a good move to get at least something for a guy who has no positive future in Detroit. Like most of us I was extremely high on Petr years ago but personally have since lost all faith in his ability as a starting goaltender. It's one thing to tank but doing it with an AHL level goalie could be demoralizing.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
I think it's impossible to asses this trade right now. Mrazek has given his detractors lots of ammunition with his inconsistent performances, and he has done the same for his supporters with some outstanding goalkeeping from time to time. It really is about where you put your faith. Personally, I believe that he is maturing, his performances will become more consistent and he will turn out to be a great acquisition for the Flyers. I would be excited as a Flyers fan. That said, I might be wrong and he may continue with his lack of consistency, in which case this may turn out to be a smart piece of business for the Wings. Rooting for Petr though!

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

More pieces like money. They'll sign a Brian Elliot type while Von Pottelberghe, Larsson, or Petruzelli develop or they draft another guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad