Mrazek traded to the Flyers

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
People put way too much stock in the "Blash is an idiot" camp.

Blash has good talent for the level he's at, he's a really good coach. He has an undertalented team compared to the league he's in, he looks bad.

Jeff Blashill is a completely average hockey coach that is dealing with a below average roster.

Lol thanks for the laugh!

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Sorry should have clarified I’m not saying he is that right now, but you put a solid team in front of him and actually play him as a starter I bet you he has top 5-10 stats in the league. When he’s gotten consistent playing time this year he’s been very good. He’s started to look like the old petr mrazek lately and I could easily see him leading the flyers to a 2nd or 3rd round series this year. You can disagree, but I just don’t see what we are accomplishing by keeping Howard over him for a 3rd/4th. And I could honestly see that becoming a 2nd and 3rd but still that’s not enough for a top 10 goalie. Again my opinion

Nah I agree with you you jut werent clear on the top5/10 thing. Mrazek on a good team could turn out very good. That also wont be in Detroit because they wont be good for a while. If he does turn out that good, the wings get pretty solid return on him with these conditions, especially if you consider how weak the goalie market usually is at deadline and he was probably gone anyways. If he becomes top 5 yeah it will hurt, but the way hes played the last 2 years since getting paid is making me think thats not entirely likely.

I dont think Holland picked Howard over Mrazek either, I think Mrazek was the only one worth anything to another team. He has some young upside still and can be a rental if need be. Hell Detroit could sign him this summer if Philly doesnt qualify him.

Not an amazing trade but not horrible either

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
2012-13Grand Rapids GriffinsAHL42217249897412.332316210530.9162402
2012-13Detroit Red WingsNHL2001194002.02110470.922---
2013-14Detroit Red WingsNHL90044913021.742401650.927---
2013-14Grand Rapids GriffinsAHL3222183064332.1022917740.9241000
2014-15Grand Rapids GriffinsAHL131675726132.069213310.927---
2014-15Detroit Red WingsNHL2900158563232.3816927050.918700
2015-16Detroit Red WingsNHL54222942115642.332716613330.921
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

AHL stats mean nothing to me in terms of a guy playing at the NHL level. Teemu Pulkkinen was a PPG+ player down there. He was crap in Detroit. Tomas Jurco was a PPG+ player in the AHL, he was crap in Detroit.

And it has been well documented that Mrazek had one FAN-****ing-TASTIC start to the 15-16 season. Then, when he was the unquestioned starter, he crapped the bed.

Also, really? He played those first 11 games at the end of the season in his first two years when teams were either completely out of it or were locked into their positions already. How did Mrazek look when he was being relied on to be the guy in Detroit in February 16? In all of 17?

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
People put way too much stock in the "Blash is an idiot" camp.

Blash has good talent for the level he's at, he's a really good coach. He has an undertalented team compared to the league he's in, he looks bad.

Jeff Blashill is a completely average hockey coach that is dealing with a below average roster.

Do you ever wonder why Babcock decided he couldn't cut it in Detroit and sent him to GR?
Probably not.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Howard is bad enough to tank without Coreau
Look at his numbers since Mid November.
8-18
3.20 GAA

If Howard keeps up that pace we'll be in 29th by the end of the season.

Howard should be ready to start for Blash in the World Championships again.

Good I hope he does keep sucking. Thew ings need high picks not 26 year old goalies at this point. Hopefully they trade Howard next deadline too

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I didn't say anything about being able to afford him. The fact is, he was out of town in April no matter what. It was pretty clear that the Wings soured on him before the year even started.

Also, I really don't think this is selling low on Mrazek. I just think he's more the guy he's been for two years than the guy we saw in late 14-15 and early 15-16. That he's more Jim Carey than Carey Price. Frankly, I think it's silly that Philly could potentially be giving up a 2nd and a 3rd for him when they literally could have waited two months and gotten him for free when we didn't qualify him.

It has to do with how their season is going. They could really go far this year, especially if Mrazek plays with a chip on his shoulder. It's actually a smart gamble on their part.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I really hope Mrazek is a Vezina contender in 3 or 4 years. Holland continues shows an inability to manage a team in a cap world.

Yeah, last players Holland has sold out of his hands have really become superstars.

Like Smith at NYR, like Vanek+Kindl at Florida, like Jurco at Chicago. Like Steve Ott, like waived Pulkkinen and Nestrasil.

Superstars which poor old Kenny lost.

Reactions: kliq and Winger98

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Once again Holland proves to be a complete failure of a gm. Philadelphia is desperate for a goalie but instead, they get a 3rd and a 4th round pick. 2nd if they do really well.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
And that's something where we just differ. I just can't see Mrazek doing anything more than just showing flashes. I don't think he'll ever truly put it together and be an elite or even above average goaltender for a sustainable period of time.

I mean, I just see enough things in his goaltending that raise red flags to me. Also, I think we did have to if Jimmy wasn't drawing any trade interest. It was a difference between getting a pick for a guy they'd clearly given up on or not getting anything if they waited past Monday.

And that's fair. Mrazek might totally flame out, he's definitely shown that as a reasonable possibility. For the price of a 4th rounder, though, it's something I'm fine rolling the dice on. A 4th just doesn't have enough value for me.

Oh well. Maybe Coreau will step in and be the next Ben Bishop.

Reactions: Danrs112

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Once again Holland proves to be a complete failure of a gm. Philadelphia is desperate for a goalie but instead, they get a 3rd and a 4th round pick. 2nd if they do really well.
It's a good return for an average backup.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Wonder if they've entertained the idea of moving Zetterberg and dealing with the retirement cap penalty. Probably get a first for him with 50% retained.

That seems silly. Retain 50% on Z, you retain 3M.... and then wouldn't you still be on the hook for the recapture as well?

So, if he retires with two years left on the deal... you have 3M in retention money on your cap and then you still have Z's ~11 million cap overage to apply over the two years. So... if he retires in two years, you're setting aside 8M cap hit for each of those two years.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
You're implying that a 24 year old east coast hockey league goalie may be the goalie of the future? If this is the case, we're more screwed than I thought we were.
I think he may be a guy who just never got an opportunity. Coreau was playing the E at the same age and wasn't nearly as good.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Yeah, last players Holland has sold out of his hands have really become superstars.

Like Smith at NYR, like Vanek+Kindl at Florida, like Jurco at Chicago. Like Steve Ott, like waived Pulkkinen and Nestrasil.

Superstars which poor old Kenny lost.

You clearly misinterpreted my post. All I said is that Holland has continually shown an inability to run a Cap team, which is factual. We have been a bad team in the Cap era. Instead of spewing nonsense, back your argument up. Please show me a long list of accolades we have accomplished in a cap era. Also, Holland is the guy who signed Steve Ott in the first place lol, not sure how this supports your argument.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Why pick the last 15 games he played that season and not include the first thirty where he racked up something like a .930 sv% other than to try to cast shade on Mrazek's 15/16 season.

I don't know? Ask Claypool, he said "last 2 years".

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
You clearly misinterpreted my post. All I said is that Holland has continually shown an inability to run a Cap team, which is factual. We have been a bad team in the Cap era. Instead of spewing nonsense, back your argument up. Please show me a long list of accolades we have accomplished in a cap era. Also, Holland is the guy who signed Steve Ott in the first place lol, not sure how this supports your argument.

2008 Stanley Cup Champions
2009 Stanley Cup Finalists

That's more than about 85% of the league has accomplished in the cap era.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
That seems silly. Retain 50% on Z, you retain 3M.... and then wouldn't you still be on the hook for the recapture as well?

So, if he retires with two years left on the deal... you have 3M in retention money on your cap and then you still have Z's ~11 million cap overage to apply over the two years. So... if he retires in two years, you're setting aside 8M cap hit for each of those two years.

Well that's what I mean. Get the draft pick and deal with the dead cap space for a couple years. I guess they'll just LTIR him in his final year.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
2008 Stanley Cup Champions
2009 Stanley Cup Finalists

That's more than about 85% of the league has accomplished in the cap era.
He inherited a great team with the best owner in all of sport, won the lottery twice with Pav and Z and had a hockey genius advising him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad