Mrazek starts @ Minnesota Sunday Nyquist sent down

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Don't disagree, but Babs could just bench Cleary and say he is giving him a maintenance day to save face and allow Nyquist to get more IT in the NHL. .

Actually he couldn't...If Samuelsson is coming off IR, someone has to be sent down or put on waivers.

Maybe because he never even got 2 games in a row, or even consistent linemates within the same game to play with? and he was a last second call-up in games he has played in?

Go to the GDT of the first game tatar played in this year and see if people are talking about him the same way are now. I'll save you some time, they weren't. That's not a knock on Tatar either, I love his game, but expecting a guy to light the world on fire in his first game called up is a little ridiculous. Both Tatar and B Smith played much better after they strung a few games together.

I'm sure not getting to practice with the team has a big effect on how Nyquist produced but even though he was called up on short notice and didn't get 2 games in a row he had far more talent around him in his shot than Tatar did.

Nyquist played with Flip and Franzen, and Flip and Abdelkader for his 2 games. Tatar was on a line with Cleary and Abdelkader to start and with Eaves and Andersson recently.

I'd like to see him get a string of games too, but someone had to be sent down today and it was going to be either him, Tatar or Andersson. I could have lived with Andersson getting the demotion, but I don't think I would have made a different decision if I were responsible for making it.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
So I guess we'll be rolling with 2 sets of possible lines then? One with Datsyuk and one without?

Cleary-Zetterberg-Brunner
Sammy-Datsyuk-Filppula
Tatar-Andersson-Abdelkader
Miller-Emmerton-Tootoo

Or

Abdelkader-Filppula-Sammy
Tatar-Andersson-Eaves
Miller-Emmerton-Tootoo

I'd like to see Tatar up there with Zetterberg, but maybe Babcock is giving the 3rd line the easy minutes, if that's what he did last game it worked out pretty well.

What's the timeline on Franzen & Smith? When do they get back from injury?

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
So I guess we'll be rolling with 2 sets of possible lines then? One with Datsyuk and one without?

Sammy-Datsyuk-Filppula
Miller-Emmerton-Tootoo

Or

Abdelkader-Filppula-Sammy
Tatar-Andersson-Eaves
Miller-Emmerton-Tootoo

I'd like to see Tatar up there with Zetterberg, but maybe Babcock is giving the 3rd line the easy minutes, if that's what he did last game it worked out pretty well.

What's the timeline on Franzen & Smith? When do they get back from injury?

I hope Tatar - Andersson - Eaves are together regardless of Datsyuk playing, that line seemed to have some good chemistry.

Hammerheart

Now how about a hug?
Aug 1, 2011
Ken Holland logic: Nyquist plays bad because he has had no time to adjust and just got out of a three hour drive.

"DERR BETTER SEND HIM BACK DOWN. HE WILL SURLY BECOME A BETTER NHL PLAYER BY PLAYING IN THE AHL"

Relax. Somebody has to go down since I think Samuelsson is coming back. With Bertuzzi and Franzen out they don't want to send down a big body like Andersson, otherwise he'd probably be in the lineup.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Relax. Somebody has to go down since I think Samuelsson is coming back. With Bertuzzi and Franzen out they don't want to send down a big body like Andersson, otherwise he'd probably be in the lineup.

I'm thinking Lashoff will be headed down fairly soon. They have Smith and CC (however temporarily) coming back in a week or two and Lashoff hasn't been as good lately.

His only chance was to play lights-out and force them to keep him. As good as he looked early on, he's settled into a less-spectacular player. That means he's on his way back to GR.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
i do believe that burke and the elafs pulled this same crap with kadri and it wasnt fixed untill burke was removed of his dutes, hmmmm.......

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Tatar is going to stick for the rest of the season, right?

I think it's in his hands right now. If he plays as well as he has then he's going to make the decision very hard. Unfortunately he can be sent down without clearing waivers so if we get everyone back it is very easy to send him down to make sure no one faces waivers. I hope he continues to play at a high level and score so he gets a real shot at staying put.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Sammy-Datsyuk-Filppula
Miller-Emmerton-Tootoo

If we get Pavs back I'd like to see Abby up there on Z's line. He can dig in the corners and be the net front guy. Brunner is the shooter on that line. With Pavs' line Fil would be your LW and Sammy would be your RW. I agree with the person who said they'd keep the Tatar-Andersson-Eaves line intact. Tough to mess with that line and Babs is a guy who tends to keep hot lines together.

CloneHakanPlease*

The system in Grand Rapids is arguably the same in Detroit. The only difference is the level of competition.

The more you play against bad players, the more bad habits form and the more you regress.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Glad to see Petr Griffin getting the start.

Wish Nyquist could get some consistent time. At least 5 games. If he didn't show any signs of improvement after five games then yeah, time to re-evaluate.

Also, I guess Khan said Filp was playing with Z and Brunner? That's good news imo.

1. Probably means Datsyuk will be in.

2. Flipper and Z made each other better last year.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Glad to see Petr Griffin getting the start.

Wish Nyquist could get some consistent time. At least 5 games. If he didn't show any signs of improvement after five games then yeah, time to re-evaluate.

Also, I guess Khan said Filp was playing with Z and Brunner? That's good news imo.

1. Probably means Datsyuk will be in.

2. Flipper and Z made each other better last year.

Good for Z and Brunner, bad for Pasha he'll be flanked by Cleary/Abby and Sammy....yuck

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
i do believe that burke and the elafs pulled this same crap with kadri and it wasnt fixed untill burke was removed of his dutes, hmmmm.......

You could just as easily argue that the extra time spent in the AHL allowed Kadri to develop properly until breaking out this season.

The guy had 51 games in the NHL before this season and couldn't produce anywhere near like he did in the minors.

Whether Burke was there or not Kadri was going to sink or swim in the NHL this season.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
As much as I'd like to see Tatar stay up permanently, I doubt it happens. That would mean some of Cleary/Miller/Eaves/Sammy... would need to be waived/traded and I don't see that happening.

IIRC, someone will have to be waived/traded regardless... So they could in theory just go the extra mile and clear room for Tatar while they're at it. It wouldn't be that much of a hassle.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Not to mention that the more you play with mediocre teammates, the more you either 1. have to dumb down your game to use them more effectively or 2. the more you struggle because they can't keep up with you.

You may have difficulties because they can't keep up with you but I don't think anyone ever dumbs their game down to a bad teammates level.

I've heard of raising your teammates games with your talent level...but it should never work the other way.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Nyquist getting sent down shows how desperate this management team is. They are seriously worried about missing the playoffs (rightfully so) but it would seem they are missing the point here, namely, that they are sacrificing the future of the team for a 1st or 2nd round exit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad