Mrazek starts @ Minnesota Sunday Nyquist sent down

CloneHakanPlease*

Ken Holland logic: Nyquist plays bad because he has had no time to adjust and just got out of a three hour drive.

"DERR BETTER SEND HIM BACK DOWN. HE WILL SURLY BECOME A BETTER NHL PLAYER BY PLAYING IN THE AHL"

scubaHD

Jul 28, 2011
Samuelson is back and I'm sure dats will be back since it was a day to day injury.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Good to hear about Mrazek, really pissed about goose being sent down though Cleary is hot garbage in the top 6 and it's painfully obvious that Filp needs to rest his knee/leg, Gus needs time to adjust to the NHL, FFS look how good Tatar is doing with 5 games under his belt this season, going up and down, then up and down again isn't helping him. It's not like were 100% healthy and have no space/use for the kid.
The only upside to that news is that Pav might be back in for Sunday as well.

Last edited:

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
They need to quit messing with Nyquist's head. Give him a 5+ game stint with the Wings THEN evaluate him you can't throw him into a new system and expect him to catch on in 1 game. All they are doing is messing with his confidence.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Good to hear about Mrazek, really pissed about goose being sent down though Cleary is hot garbage in the top 6 and it's painfully obvious that Filp needs to rest his knee, Gus needs time to adjust to the NHL, FFS look how good Tatar is doing with 5 games under his belt this season, going up and down, then up and down again isn't helping him. It's not like were 100% healthy and have no space/use for the kid.
The only upside to that news is that Pav might be back in for Sunday as well.

The way the Wings management is treating Nyquist blows. Holland and Babcock are too loyal to vets to put them in the press box and let a rookie play in his spot.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Nyquist bumped for Sammy most likely

From Khan:

Samuelsson said he is playing tomorrow.

Also about Pav and Mule:

Datsyuk said he is 50-50 for tomorrow's game.

Johan Franzen had ultrasound on his hip flexor, said it's strained. He skated briefly last two days before practice. Out SUN. Doubtful TUE.

If both Sammy and Pav are back at least it means the end of Cleary/Gator in the top 6.

Last edited:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
They need to quit messing with Nyquist's head. Give him a 5+ game stint with the Wings THEN evaluate him you can't throw him into a new system and expect him to catch on in 1 game. All they are doing is messing with his confidence.

No they're not. This is how professional sports works.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere

The system in Grand Rapids is arguably the same in Detroit. The only difference is the level of competition.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I'm okay with Nyquist going back down...really liked the chemistry with Andersson and Tatar though. For now, I think Tatar should hang around out the longest of the callups...love his nose for the net.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Is Holland going to waive Sammy or Cleary?
No.
So it doesn't matter.

p.s.- I'm the biggest Nyquist supporter on here.

I know you aren't wrong which sucks.

Nyquist isn't fighting to take away a spot from some all star. He is replacing washed up rejects like Sammy and Cleary. There is no logic behind it.

I see the ice time argument brought up. (Not targeting you specifically) Would you rather see Nyquist play seven minutes a night in the NHL or 17 in the AHL? If Cleary can get 17 minutes a night, why cant Nyquist? Also, at this point in Nyquist's career, seven minutes a night in the NHL is far more valuable than 17 in the AHL.

I know I sound like a broken record, but injuries and lack of talent on this team has derailed this season. Management should try and make this season as productive as possible, and playing more kids would make this season mean something.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Nyquist wasn't really given much of a shot by Babcock, but lets be honest, when he was on the ice this year, he didn't look anywhere near as effective as Tatar, or as effective as he was last season or this year in Grand Rapids.

I'd rather him over Cleary by a longshot, but we know they aren't going to waive someone in the hopes that Nyquist starts playing better. The only realistic options were either Tatar or Andersson and both produced against Anaheim so it sends the wrong message to send them back to the AHL when there are still injuries.

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012
I'm okay with Nyquist going back down...really liked the chemistry with Andersson and Tatar though. For now, I think Tatar should hang around out the longest of the callups...love his nose for the net.

would've liked to see what nyquist could do with his griffins linemates, guys who he's comfortable with and could actually create room/chances for him. could've put eaves on that line with fil yesterday. hope we get to see that next time he's up. gotta be frustrated knowing you're the better player in GR for the last two years and can barely get the opportunity to show you belong

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I know you aren't wrong which sucks.

Nyquist isn't fighting to take away a spot from some all star. He is replacing washed up rejects like Sammy and Cleary. There is no logic behind it.

I see the ice time argument brought up. (Not targeting you specifically) Would you rather see Nyquist play seven minutes a night in the NHL or 17 in the AHL? If Cleary can get 17 minutes a night, why cant Nyquist? Also, at this point in Nyquist's career, seven minutes a night in the NHL is far more valuable than 17 in the AHL.

I know I sound like a broken record, but injuries and lack of talent on this team has derailed this season. Management should try and make this season as productive as possible, and playing more kids would make this season mean something.

Hey, I'm totally with you. If Nyquist got a chance to get settled in I have no doubt he would contribute more and play at a higher level than either Cleary or Sammy. But the fact is the guys are already signed to a deal, and the odds of Holland trading, waiving, or sending them to the AHL is pretty much zero. So that leaves Gus stuck in Grand Rapids yet again. Expecting babs to scratch sammy or cleary, or holland to dump them is just not going to happen. Even though it should.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Nyquist wasn't really given much of a shot by Babcock, but lets be honest, when he was on the ice this year, he didn't look anywhere near as effective as Tatar, or as effective as he was last season or this year in Grand Rapids.

I'd rather him over Cleary by a longshot, but we know they aren't going to waive someone in the hopes that Nyquist starts playing better. The only realistic options were either Tatat or Andersson and both produced against Anaheim so it sends the wrong message to send them back to the AHL when there are still injuries.

Don't disagree, but Babs could just bench Cleary and say he is giving him a maintenance day to save face and allow Nyquist to get more IT in the NHL. .

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Maybe because he never even got 2 games in a row, or even consistent linemates within the same game to play with? and he was a last second call-up in games he has played in?

Go to the GDT of the first game tatar played in this year and see if people are talking about him the same way are now. I'll save you some time, they weren't. That's not a knock on Tatar either, I love his game, but expecting a guy to light the world on fire in his first game called up is a little ridiculous. Both Tatar and B Smith played much better after they strung a few games together.

Last edited:

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
would've liked to see what nyquist could do with his griffins linemates, guys who he's comfortable with and could actually create room/chances for him. could've put eaves on that line with fil yesterday. hope we get to see that next time he's up. gotta be frustrated knowing you're the better player in GR for the last two years and can barely get the opportunity to show you belong

I would have liked to see that too, and while I agree that he didn't have much time to show what he could do, neither did Tatar and he forced his way into the line-up.

Nyquist may have been the better player in the AHL but in his time with the Wings this year, he's been overshadowed by Tatar by a wide margin.

Hopefully he gets another shot and finds the scoring touch he has with GR.

Hopefully Samuelsson can prove some of his critics wrong as well, I'm not going to put any money on him having a career year, but I'm not willing to write him off after 1 game. He can't be any worse than Cleary was in the top 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad