OT: Moving to Arizona

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Clearly my post came out more biting than I wanted. Was just having a little fun with it.:oops:
Hey no sweat. :) I assumed you were being genuine.

The entire last couple months have been nothing short of surreal at times. I've been lucky. This board has only been one of a handful of amazing resources I've put to use to get through and accomplish my goals.

The experience and my conversations with other Arizonans have helped me learn to assume the best of people again. It's a huge cultural difference between my old and new community. Granted, I'm sure there'll still be the odd random jerk or someone I catch just having a bad day here or there. But one or two is better than 10 or 20. I've heard it from a few people here and elsewhere, and thusfar my experience has validated it: in my new home, I should expect just a more positive, happier energy from people. It contributes to the overall quality of life. And it's going to be massively refreshing. :)

Reactions: Jagged Ice

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Welcome!!!
Pay no attention to the dew point. It's brief and probably not as bad as where you came from. I see you brought along with you a new owner and possible new arena. Thanks and Go Yotes!
:thumbu:
Haha. Seriously. He’s probably freaking out. The weather is normally not this disgusting. This has been the nastiest week we’ve had in a long time.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Haha. Seriously. He’s probably freaking out. The weather is normally not this disgusting. This has been the nastiest week we’ve had in a long time.
The first thing I did when I read his post was look at the forecast because I felt bad for him. Watch us get a massive haboob tonight and he'll be spitting dirt from his teeth for a few days because he'll go out in it like we all did when we first moved here. I'm sure once October hits he'll be comfy with warm temps, no humidity and sunshine while sitting at an outside bar watching the Yotes play his Sabres or Blackhawks.
:coyotes

MayDayMayDay

Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
3 days from now is my 25th anniversary here. Welcome to the Valley.

Happy ann'y! And thank you so much!

Watch the Meruelo presser. You’re a Local now

I did, and oh my God, like I wasn't already jacked for this season. That "sure as shit wanna win" line... Chills.

The first thing I did when I read his post was look at the forecast because I felt bad for him. Watch us get a massive haboob tonight and he'll be spitting dirt from his teeth for a few days because he'll go out in it like we all did when we first moved here. I'm sure once October hits he'll be comfy with warm temps, no humidity and sunshine while sitting at an outside bar watching the Yotes play his Sabres or Blackhawks.
:coyotes

Hauling my stuff in from the car yesterday was straight up laborious. I killed 8 bottles of water, and even that seemed insufficient. But doing it in flip flops beats doing it in snow boots. 10/10

For now, I'm getting settled in, running errands, etc. Etc. Did some natural sightseeing & checked out Westgate a little, along with a Cold Beers & Cheeseburgers last night with my sister and stepdad before he flew back out. Now I just finished a gyro from Haji Baba in Tempe that was better than any I ever had in Chicago and is one of the best things I've ever eaten.

f***in A, Go Yotes! I'm so home. :D

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Crazy how different weather feels to people, I was thinking it was an unusually nice week, it felt noticeably cooler! I mean don't get me wrong, it still sucked but it just seemed to suck a lot less than normal. :dunno:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
First two months I spent here it was interesting. No A/C in my Ford Aerostar and having to commute between Glendale and Mesa for work.

After that I got used to it. I grew up in the San Joaquin Valley in California where you had 90-110 degree summers with humidity in the 30% area due to all the irrigation going on.

Once we got moved in our house in West Phoenix the drive home at nights were great once you got near the I-10 - Loop 101 interchange. All the surrounding fields acted like a big swamp cooler with the windows down.

My current vehicle has the a/c blower out at the moment and the ride back and forth between Tolleson and Glendale is a bit nasty. Has to be the old age. :laugh:

MayDayMayDay

Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Oh dude Haji Baba's is amazing. Good find. Glad you made it!
No kidding. In his first week here, he goes to Haji Baba.
My god dudes, soo so good. And I'm thinking Ted's Hot Dogs today. They're actually a Buffalo-based joint, so I about lost my shit when I saw there was one here. :)

@Grimes dude, I'll definitely give you a shout once I'm a little more settled in and things aren't so hectic. I start work Monday, so I'm trying to cram as much prep and setup as I can into these few days prior.

Real talk, thank y'all so much again for all the support!

rt

May 13, 2004
Crazy how different weather feels to people, I was thinking it was an unusually nice week, it felt noticeably cooler! I mean don't get me wrong, it still sucked but it just seemed to suck a lot less than normal. :dunno:
Oh the humidity has been awful. Just gross. My personal dew point is how I judge. The more quickly I sweat upon stepping outside, the more I hate the weather. I was in Arkansas for the 4th of July once. Worst weather I’ve ever experienced. Body never dry.

MayDayMayDay

Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Oh the humidity has been awful. Just gross. My personal dew point is how I judge. The more quickly I sweat upon stepping outside, the more I hate the weather. I was in Arkansas for the 4th of July once. Worst weather I’ve ever experienced. Body never dry.

Can confirm. Arkansas weather sucks beyond all reasonable bounds of human thought.

Kind of cool - my place has assigned parking. The car next to mine is a Kia Sorento with a giant white Yotes logo window sticker in the bottom left corner. Sound familiar to anyone? If so, HMU and come say hi!

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I sweat like a f***ing pig when it's hot and it all comes out of my head to make it worse. If I'm in the sun for more than 5 minutes on a 110+ day I look like I just jumped into a pool. So I agree with you but in my experience there's sweating and there's that sticky wetness. The latter sucks and I associate with humidity. The former I get mostly from high temps and while it's not as gross as the sticky, I hate it more because it feels like something is wrong. Like my body is in a battle that it;s losing. For that reason I'll take 100 and high humidity over a dry 116 every day of the week! I mean both suck obviously but I hate the f***ing cooked alive feeling you get when it's over 110 outside, t's just so beyond oppressive.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC

Living in DC for the past three years I can honestly say the Humidity is no joke out here when both the temperature and humidity is both 100%.

DangleAngle

Jan 16, 2011
Chandler
I am a bit biased because I graduated from ASU, but I think your work and living location is awesome. Some bars/restaurants recommendations for that area of Tempe are four peaks, rula bula, Rosita's, casey Moore's, chompies, oreega

DangleAngle

Jan 16, 2011
Chandler
Oregannos, kabuki, etc. Also, if you want a surprising cheap option for late night grub (which most students know about), hit up Applebees at Broadway and Rural roads anytime after 10pm for half off on all appetizers. Also, if you want the best Italian food in the Valley, head South a bit to rigatonis (the place gets packed but the bar is full service). Welcome to the Valley, go Yotes, and go Devils.

rt

May 13, 2004
Oregannos, kabuki, etc. Also, if you want a surprising cheap option for late night grub (which most students know about), hit up Applebees at Broadway and Rural roads anytime after 10pm for half off on all appetizers. Also, if you want the best Italian food in the Valley, head South a bit to rigatonis (the place gets packed but the bar is full service). Welcome to the Valley, go Yotes, and go Devils.
All of those are chains, aren’t they? I like chains and all but those aren’t local, I thought?

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00