OT: Moving to Arizona

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
All of those are chains, aren’t they? I like chains and all but those aren’t local, I thought?

The one's before what looked like an accidental break in his post are local, mostly.

Rigatony's is local. Currently at Warner/McClintock, for 15-20 years at least it was at Knox/Arizona Ave. Chompies is all AZ although multiple locations.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I somehow missed the first part of his post. When I was a kid my family used to go to the Rogatonies in Chandler a lot. Once when the power went out in in our neighborhood during the middle of the summer, our family went there with a couple of other families from the neighborhood. We turned it into a party that lasted hours until the power was restored. Great memory.

My mom was a teacher at Knox school a mile west of there. My parents were from New Jersey and had lived in New York and got along great with the family that owned the restaurant.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Thanks @RABBIT!
Oregannos, kabuki, etc. Also, if you want a surprising cheap option for late night grub (which most students know about), hit up Applebees at Broadway and Rural roads anytime after 10pm for half off on all appetizers. Also, if you want the best Italian food in the Valley, head South a bit to rigatonis (the place gets packed but the bar is full service). Welcome to the Valley, go Yotes, and go Devils.

Thanks for the suggestions! For sure, the more I explore the area, the more I love about it. I can totally envision pursuing my PhD here one day. I'd be lucky too - according to some of my former Masters cohorts, The PhD Comm program is one of the tops in the country. Forks Up! :)

Give it another week or two and I can really hone in on assembling a weekend crew. Gotta stash enough cash for furniture and a new Yotes jersey first haha.

Speaking of Italian food, I hit this place up in Sedona, La Cucina Rustica. My God.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Thanks @RABBIT!

Thanks for the suggestions! For sure, the more I explore the area, the more I love about it. I can totally envision pursuing my PhD here one day. I'd be lucky too - according to some of my former Masters cohorts, The PhD Comm program is one of the tops in the country. Forks Up! :)

Give it another week or two and I can really hone in on assembling a weekend crew. Gotta stash enough cash for furniture and a new Yotes jersey first haha.

Speaking of Italian food, I hit this place up in Sedona, La Cucina Rustica. My God.
Thanks @RABBIT

Been there twice. Out of this world dining experience.

rt

May 13, 2004
Thanks @RABBIT!

La Cucina Rustica is awesome. Love that place. Gotta get the wife up there for a night soon!

Dirty Old Man

Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I somehow missed the first part of his post. When I was a kid my family used to go to the Rogatonies in Chandler a lot.

I wondered about that, in a "how did he live where he did and not know about it?" way. I drive by there every afternoon - Knox is halfway home - and it still seems weird that it's a funeral home now.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
In Tempe I really like Spinato's, specifically for the spinach calzone! Also a huge fan of McCalister's, their sandwiches and peach iced tea are awesome. Yes I know they're a chain and I give zero f***s, it's still good!

MayDayMayDay

Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
What's the best place to find cheap Yotes merch near me? Been here a week and still don't even have a T-shirt.

Last edited:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
A Chicago pizzeria opened up a quarter mile from my house. Yech.. Cake with a cheese topping and tomato sauce on top of that. I'll take NY pizza over that slop any time of the day.

Reactions: CC96 and Mosby

Dirty Old Man

Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Arizona Mills factory outlet mall, US60/Priest, has a couple of sports apparel places, not too far from where I think you are.

Dirty Old Man

Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
You know what is worse than Chicago style pizza? Chicago style barbecue (Tom's, if they're somehow still in business). BLECH!

rt

May 13, 2004
You know what is worse than Chicago style pizza? Chicago style barbecue (Tom's, if they're somehow still in business). BLECH!
I don’t think Tom’s is a good representation of the style. There used to be a place in Mesa called Windy City Q that made south side style barbecue and was excellent.

MayDayMayDay

Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Heading to Glendale right now for a sure as shit shirt. Who's coming with me?

EDIT: Well, the doors were locked. But it did give me the chance to check out Westgate here. This area is sweet!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jagged Ice

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Heading to Glendale right now for a sure as **** shirt. Who's coming with me?

EDIT: Well, the doors were locked. But it did give me the chance to check out Westgate here. This area is sweet!

The Den at the arena should be open unless they’re on a lunch break.

If you haven’t seen Avengers Endgame yet they’re playing it on the scoreboard next Saturday the 17th at 11am. Free to get in if you get tickets online. A concession will be open at arena prices (unfortunately :laugh:)

Den was open prior to the last movie day.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
A Chicago pizzeria opened up a quarter mile from my house. Yech.. Cake with a cheese topping and tomato sauce on top of that. I'll take NY pizza over that slop any time of the day.
We also have three Lou Malnati's locations, two Giordano's and had a Geno's East for about a year. All popular Chicago stores. Geno's was amazing but they didn't market themselves properly and the hype of Malnati's opening at the same time kept people away.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Heading to Glendale right now for a sure as **** shirt. Who's coming with me?

Did you try the main entrance doors or just the doors to the den that are just too the right of the main entrance? I thought they had regular hours.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Man I love Westgate. Great place to grab food/beer before or after a game. It's a shame all you east siders hate the drive so much. I can't blame you though.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Also, New York style pizza is the best pizza. Shout-out to my guy Dino at Palermos at Dysart and Mcdowell. Best pizza I've ever had. If you like sausage on your pizza, he hand-grinds it daily. My mouth is watering thinking about it.

MayDayMayDay

Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Did you try the main entrance doors or just the doors to the den that are just too the right of the main entrance? I thought they had regular hours.
Yea, Google said they were open, but all the doors were locked when I went by and lights were off. Was way weird.

No worries though, plenty of time and opportunities :)

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Man I love Westgate. Great place to grab food/beer before or after a game. It's a shame all you east siders hate the drive so much. I can't blame you though.

They did a good job around the arena for sure. It is a great place to grab drinks. When ufc was there, hometown boy Gathje was bar hopping meeting fans after the fights. It was pretty cool. It is a shame it is so far away from civilization.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
The Old Navy store at Stapley and Baseline usually has a shirt or two (maybe all Old Navy stores? I don’t know). I was really surprised to see Coyote merch in there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad