OT: Moving to Arizona

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Hey Yotes fans,

I hope everyone here is doing well. 32/ M/ Chicagoland based Sabre fan here coming in peace. I'm reaching out because I'm looking at moving to the Phoenix area for work sometime this summer. I've been a social media marketing and customer success/relations consultant for about four years now in Chicago and the work has fallen on some hard times. Economy here is actually (I think) starting to experience some kind of localized recession. Anyway, as I'm also newly single, I figure this is the time to get bold and make the jump. I've always dreamed about moving out West. While I've never been to the desert, my grandfather lives in Sedona and my sister is a teacher in Glendale. Both are living their happiest lives, and both have pleaded for me to explore the community and my options there. The rest of my family have visited and describe it as a dreamland where I would thrive - great tech, culinary, music/arts, outdoors scenes and (of course) an awesome sports town. :)

Anyway, I'm reaching out for some input, feedback, support, or even any helping hands from someone whose company might be hiring for someone of my talents and interests (as listed above). I look forward to hearing your thoughts and conversing with any and all of you. Kind regards!

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Hey Yotes fans,

I hope everyone here is doing well. 32/ M/ Chicagoland based Sabre fan here coming in peace. I'm reaching out because I'm looking at moving to the Phoenix area for work sometime this summer. I've been a social media marketing and customer success/relations consultant for about four years now in Chicago and the work has fallen on some hard times. Economy here is actually (I think) starting to experience some kind of localized recession. Anyway, as I'm also newly single, I figure this is the time to get bold and make the jump. I've always dreamed about moving out West. While I've never been to the desert, my grandfather lives in Sedona and my sister is a teacher in Glendale. Both are living their happiest lives, and both have pleaded for me to explore the community and my options there. The rest of my family have visited and describe it as a dreamland where I would thrive - great tech, culinary, music/arts, outdoors scenes and (of course) an awesome sports town. :)

Anyway, I'm reaching out for some input, feedback, support, or even any helping hands from someone whose company might be hiring for someone of my talents and interests (as listed above). I look forward to hearing your thoughts and conversing with any and all of you. Kind regards!
I can't help you with a job, but I can suggest that you move to Glendale to be in proximity to your sister. Phoenix is really spread out and traffic makes the distances that much more important. Good Luck!

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
As long as you aren't a blackhawk fan, welcome! But like mentioned above, research where you might be working and get a place in the area or not too far. The traffic from the west side to the east side on work days is horrible. Unless you like to leave at 4:30 am. Might get better once the 202 expansion is done though. Enjoy it though, really enjoy living here in the valley.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
If I had to guess, I would think that type of work would be at companies based downtown PHX/Tempe/Scottsdale. But set up camp where ever you like. You’ll probably be renting to start and that will give you an opportunity to get a feel for the area.

I moved from Chicago as well, 20 years ago. PHX is immeasurably better, in nearly all respects.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
If you're not working a regular 9-5 traffic is awesome :laugh:.
I did a west side to east side commute for 10 years but on off hours.

Right now if I have a job on the east side scheduled in the morning it takes me about 1 hour and 20 minutes to go from Peoria to Tempe in the morning hours.

If you can interview for positions before moving it would easier to figure out what to do of course. Murf is right about where most of the jobs of that sort would be, though there are some surprising pockets out in north Phoenix and on the west side where some corporations have regional distribution centers that also house some office workers.

If you're going west side I greatly prefer Peoria North Phoenix or Surprise to Glendale. It's close enough to Glendale anyway if you wanted to start off reasonably close to your sister but the areas are generally better. There are some okay to nice areas in Glendale if you go up around more the Arrowhead area but I'd avoid most anything south of Thunderbird road. It's a pretty quick whip around the 101 to Scottsdale during the evening/night for that sort of stuff.

If you're going for the most centrally located place possible (that's not overwhelmingly crappy or stupid expensive) I'd look at Tempe.

MayDayMayDay

Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
As long as you aren't a blackhawk fan, welcome!

Haha, yea I have stories. Everytime I mention that I was born in Buffalo, it's "Oh! That's where Patrick Kane is from!"

Yes, we know. We stopped claiming him after Cabbygate and 2014. Don't remind us.

This is where I work, you can scope out the openings.

Careers | CIM Group
That's awesome, thank you! I've bookmarked the page in my company search folder.

If I had to guess, I would think that type of work would be at companies based downtown PHX/Tempe/Scottsdale. But set up camp where ever you like. You’ll probably be renting to start and that will give you an opportunity to get a feel for the area.

I moved from Chicago as well, 20 years ago. PHX is immeasurably better, in nearly all respects.

Thank you so much! This is really encouraging to hear, and I know it won't be easy, but nothing worthwhile in life is. And it's that quality of life improvement that I'm really looking forward to!

Wow, thank you all so much for the amazing responses and feedback, I really appreciate it. My timetable will depend on the job search, but I'm shooting for late July (just before my lease here expires) to make the jump. I'm also bookmarking this thread to revisit throughout the process with any questions. :)

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
I will echo the comments above in that you should live close as possible to where you work. You might want to find short term housing before locking into a lease before finding a job. Would suck to have a year contract and live in Chandler and your job is in Peoria.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Agreed on getting a job close to where you work. The valley has great places to live in all corners, so there will always be an area you can move and feel safe and comfortable.

As for job searches, I’ve always had the best luck with Indeed. I tend to get more call backs using that than I do using something like zip recruiter or anything else.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
32 and single = Scottsdale
32 and single but unemployed / underemployed = near Scottsdale ... maybe Cave Creek / NE Glendale / N Phoenix
32 and single and looking for 22 year olds = Tempe
32 and single and looking for 62 year olds = Sun City
34 and newly married and looking to settle down = Glendale / Surprise / Chandler / Gilbert

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I completely agree with the general sentiment in regards to living as close as possible to where you work. However that can be a dangerous game to play unless you're confident your job situation will be stable. Many people, especially those just moving here, will switch jobs several times before finding something that works long term. So personally I'd advocate staying somewhat centrally located and find a place to live that is very close to a freeway, that way you're pretty flexible regardless of the job location. Tempe/South Scottsdale are good spots for your situation.

MayDayMayDay

Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
32 and single = Scottsdale
32 and single but unemployed / underemployed = near Scottsdale ... maybe Cave Creek / NE Glendale / N Phoenix
32 and single and looking for 22 year olds = Tempe
32 and single and looking for 62 year olds = Sun City
34 and newly married and looking to settle down = Glendale / Surprise / Chandler / Gilbert
Haha, this breakdown is awesome. :D Thanks @ck26!

Update: I have 2 phone interviews this week with tech companies in Scottsdale. I'm looking at flying out next month to visit family, get a lay of the land and maybe attend some training if I get hired before then.

I've already started looking at apartments and different areas to scout.

Criteria I'm looking for:
Quality living quarters.
Budget-friendly rent and commute.
Outgoing neighbors of similar age and affluency.
Dog friendly.
Easy access to restaurants, shopping, outdoor attractions and entertainment. (Sports and music).
Walkable/bikeable.
Solid nightlife. (I like to hit a quiet little pub on the weekend and have a couple drinks with friends).
Plenty of late 20s/early 30s attractive, athletic single blonde ladies.

Agreed on getting a job close to where you work. The valley has great places to live in all corners, so there will always be an area you can move and feel safe and comfortable.
As for job searches, I’ve always had the best luck with Indeed. I tend to get more call backs using that than I do using something like zip recruiter or anything else.

I am totally anticipating a night and day shift around cultural ideas like quality of daily commute and neighborhood. For instance, I already drive 45 minutes here to get to my consulting gig and have done as much as an hour. I was honestly OK with that because it's par for the course here. But I'd be stoked for a shorter commute.

BTW, what are gas prices there? We're sitting right around 3 bucks here ATM.

As far as choosing a neighborhood, I am anticipating the Valley feeling universally more secure than Chicagoland just from what locals have shared with me. I'm so used to a culture here of "tough parts of town" and "areas to avoid at all costs." It's frustrating because there is some statistical truth to it, and that culture is clearly rooted in the economic and social disparities that make up Chicagoland (which are some of the most drastic in the country). But my sis claims that there isn't really a culture of danger from a general distrust among the public there because most neighborhoods from Surprise to Chandler are uniquely multicultural. That seems refreshing because I want to explore whatever the Valley has to offer me and do so openly, safely, and mindfully.

On either front, I'm not about to penalize my soon-to-be new home because my old one had issues.

Again, thank you all so much for the amazing feedback. :) More updates to come, and I'm really looking forward to this next chapter in my life.

Reactions: Jagged Ice

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Update: I have 2 phone interviews this week with tech companies in Scottsdale. I'm looking at flying out next month to visit family, get a lay of the land and maybe attend some training if I get hired before then.

Quality living quarters.
Dog friendly.
Easy access to restaurants, shopping, outdoor attractions and entertainment. (Sports and music).
Walkable/bikeable.
Solid nightlife. (I like to hit a quiet little pub on the weekend and have a couple drinks with friends).
This is an open and shut case Johnson!

d1VMTIT.jpg

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017

Quality living quarters.
Dog friendly.
Walkable/bikeable.

I am totally anticipating a night and day shift around cultural ideas like quality of daily commute and neighborhood. For instance, I already drive 45 minutes here to get to my consulting gig and have done as much as an hour. I was honestly OK with that because it's par for the course here. But I'd be stoked for a shorter commute.

As far as choosing a neighborhood, I am anticipating the Valley feeling universally more secure than Chicagoland just from what locals have shared with me. I'm so used to a culture here of "tough parts of town" and "areas to avoid at all costs." It's frustrating because there is some statistical truth to it, and that culture is clearly rooted in the economic and social disparities that make up Chicagoland (which are some of the most drastic in the country). But my sis claims that there isn't really a culture of danger from a general distrust among the public there because most neighborhoods from Surprise to Chandler are uniquely multicultural. That seems refreshing because I want to explore whatever the Valley has to offer me and do so openly, safely, and mindfully.

On either front, I'm not about to penalize my soon-to-be new home because my old one had issues.

Again, thank you all so much for the amazing feedback. :) More updates to come, and I'm really looking forward to this next chapter in my life.

Old Town Scottsdale is up your alley, wide spectrum of housing available within a mile distance.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Quality living quarters.
Dog friendly.
Walkable/bikeable.

I guess it depends on where in Scottsdale your possible job opportunities are. If it's North Scottsdale, there are some nice apartment areas around the Desert Ridge Marketplace that are within easy access to some great nightlife options. If it's farther south, then you might consider some ASU-adjacent housing in Tempe.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I guess it depends on where in Scottsdale your possible job opportunities are. If it's North Scottsdale, there are some nice apartment areas around the Desert Ridge Marketplace that are within easy access to some great nightlife options. If it's farther south, then you might consider some ASU-adjacent housing in Tempe.
I used to live in a condo on a golf course smack dab in the middle of Sinurgy’s red circle. In Old Town. This was 10+ years ago at this point but they were nice condos despite being in maybe not the nicest part of Scottsdale (Old Town was a tad seedy on the fringes a decade ago during the economic crisis).

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona

Quality living quarters.
Dog friendly.
Walkable/bikeable.

Gas prices are about 3.20 a gallon for 87 octane

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
nice apartment areas around the Desert Ridge Marketplace that are within easy access to some great nightlife options.
Desert Ridge Marketplace and great nightlife options? Only places I know of are Sandbar, that new CB Live (or whatever they call it) and Blue Martini. The Sandbar is pretty week but admittedly I don't know much about the other two other than I've heard a lot of cougar and sugar daddy jokes in reference to Blue Martini. It's definitely a great area and has some REALLY nice condos/apartments but not sure it's great for a single guy. That said with the rise of Uber, being a little further from Old Town is no where near the deal breaker it used to be. While Old Town rules all nightlife in the valley, the other reason I recommended that area to MayDayMayDay is the park that runs up and down it.

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Desert Ridge Marketplace and great nightlife options? Only places I know of are Sandbar, that new CB Live (or whatever they call it) and Blue Martini. The Sandbar is pretty week but admittedly I don't know much about the other two other than I've heard a lot of cougar and sugar daddy jokes in reference to Blue Martini. It's definitely a great area and has some REALLY nice condos/apartments but not sure it's great for a single guy. That said with the rise of Uber, being a little further from Old Town is no where near the deal breaker it used to be. While Old Town rules all nightlife in the valley, the other reason I recommended that area to MayDayMayDay is the park that runs up and down it.

I wasn't referring to Desert Ridge itself - more the Scottsdale Road corridor around and south of Frank Lloyd Wright.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I'll jump in on this one. I'm a Pittsburgh native and Pens fan but have been living in Phx for 10 years. I moved in July and the heat was a serious adjustment that first month, but now I love it. Our summer is the equivalent of a northern winter: you stay inside your climate controlled house/office/car more often than not. The difference here is that you don't shovel heat, and once the sun goes down the conditions get better, not worse.

On locations, Old Town Scottsdale is your best bet for bars/clubs etc. Tempe also has some good spots but it trends much younger given all the ASU students. I'm 34 and married though and am thrilled to have left that part of my life behind. If I never go to a bar with a line out front and/or cover charge again, that would be fine.

"34 and newly married and looking to settle down = Glendale / Surprise / Chandler / Gilbert" - Thats me exactly. I had a place on the border of Chandler and Gilbert, a couple miles from downtown Gilbert with is very nice for restaurants and is expanding rapidly. We just moved to south Chandler to get set up in a better school district and have a bigger house with more land. Downtown Chandler also has a bunch of good spots, but both are more casual and low key than what you'll find in Scottsdale. Chandler has a technology corridor on Price road with a bunch of big companies: Intel, Northrop Grumman, Paypal, Wells Fargo to name a few, with lots of smaller companies filling in the gaps between them in office parks.

There are definitely some seedier neighborhoods, but few if any avoid at all costs zones. Downtown Mesa area was bad in the past but is now up and coming. I own a rental there now. There are spots closer to the city and on the west side as well where I wouldn't choose to live, but no where I would flat refuse to go to for safety reasons.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Old Town Scottsdale's great - I lived there for a couple years in my mid twenties, loved it. And as far as good looking ladies in their 30s, this is it.

Tempe / Mill is overpriced and overrated. Fine for college students, but I was thrilled to get out of there after graduating.

Don't dismiss downtown and midtown Phoenix (Arcadia / Biltmore). I've been living on N 16th St, south of Bethany Home for 5 years, I love it. So many cool places nearby: Valley Bar, Crescent Ballroom, the Van Buren, the Rythm Room for live music, great neighborhood bars like the Whining Pig, Little Woody, Linger Longer Lounge, Undertow, lots of speakeasy type places, Bar Smith is a fun dance club, and the food scene is awesome - lots of small restaurants with character that don't break the bank: Taco Guild, St Francis, Dick's Hideaway are just a few examples. Old Town Scottsdale is just 15 min away, airport less than 10 minutes.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad