OT: Movie thread

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
arcane is actually really good too

the 6 year development time and enormous budget they put into it really show through. impressive animation
Ever since Blizzard went into utter shit (as in, the cinematics started to be bad), I’d say Riot Game(s) has become the studio that was like “we should just make really long cinema-… err movies”.

Reactions: Finlandia WOAT

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
arcane is actually really good too

the 6 year development time and enormous budget they put into it really show through. impressive animation
Started to watch.

And I am gonna say it. It was all her fault, she should have listened and if she were put down, it would have been a terrible thing to do, but the correct one.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Christmas movies

You know, Lampoons Christmas Vacation, Grinch(both the Jim Carey and Cumberbatch ones), Elf, The Santa Clause, Christmas Carol, Home Alone, Home Alone 2.

Oh yeah, and Die Hard. Both of them. Because Die Hard is definitely a Christmas movie, oh and so is Lethal Weapon.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Saw Matrix Resurrections last night. It was ok. It’s just one of those movies that I don’t think you’re ever going to recapture the glory of the first two (but not the third because bleh) so you just have to take it for what it is.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Christmas movies

You know, Lampoons Christmas Vacation, Grinch(both the Jim Carey and Cumberbatch ones), Elf, The Santa Clause, Christmas Carol, Home Alone, Home Alone 2.

Oh yeah, and Die Hard. Both of them. Because Die Hard is definitely a Christmas movie, oh and so is Lethal Weapon.

To add a couple more we enjoy - the night before, office Christmas party, four christmases, bad moms Christmas and Madea Christmas.

Disney+ just came out with a sixth home alone movie. Yikes.

Reactions: HisIceness

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
A Castle for Christmas

It's horrendous. Absolute schlock. Cary Elwes plays a Scottish lord who needs to sell his estate (Dun Dunbar, which translates to Castle Castle-bar). I assume his Scottish accent is as weird to Scots as his American accent is to me. Luckily, a rich American author who needs to escape a scandal played by Brooke Shields visits the estate with the intent of buying it, and you'll never guess what happens next. Spoilers: they fall in love.

Most of the cast is English folks putting on ridiculous Scottish accents. I'm not sure if I should laugh or be offended.

Reactions: Lempo

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
A Christmas Carol

From 1935, it's not that bad other than the shitty film quality. But I also kind of like these older films.

i haven't watched a christmas carol in roughly 25 years (any version), so i watched the 1984 George C. Scott version this year. then mickey's a christmas carol. meant to watch the older black and white version i remember watching in my youth, but didn't get around to it. watching it, i realized i had been missing out on something i really enjoyed for a quarter century, so i think i'll try to do better in the coming years. plus, if i decide to wait another 25 years there is a decent probability that i might be a bit dead.

edit to add: the black and white version i remember starred alistair sim.

Reactions: HisIceness

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
i haven't watched a christmas carol in roughly 25 years (any version), so i watched the 1984 George C. Scott version this year. then mickey's a christmas carol. meant to watch the older black and white version i remember watching in my youth, but didn't get around to it. watching it, i realized i had been missing out on something i really enjoyed for a quarter century, so i think i'll try to do better in the coming years. plus, if i decide to wait another 25 years there is a decent probability that i might be a bit dead.

edit to add: the black and white version i remember starred alistair sim.

Love Mickeys Christmas Carol, used to watch that a lot as a kid, actually wore the video tape out lol. It's also the only one I know of which the Ghost of Christmas Future talks.

Also George C Scott plays a great Scrooge. The 1984 version is great.

Last edited:

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Watched The Power of the Dog on Netflix. While watching I couldn’t quite figure out what all the good reviews were for. As I got to the end it was apparent. What a movie.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

such a perfect summation

I felt pretty much the complete opposite about this movie. Cast was great on paper but the only performance that really stood out to me was Leo's. He was great as always but did not think it was a good film overall. Too over the top in some of the satire and most of the jokes fell flat for me and others I was watching with. Plot and character development non-existent, don't need those if it's actually funny like many of McKay's other movies but this one wasn't...

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Matrix Resurrection was a disappointment. It's become clear that they had no idea where to take that franchise after the first and are just flailing around now.

The new SpiderMan was fantastic, however.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Watched Black Widow and Shang-Chi over the Christmas break. Shang-Chi was the much better movie.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
I felt pretty much the complete opposite about this movie. Cast was great on paper but the only performance that really stood out to me was Leo's. He was great as always but did not think it was a good film overall. Too over the top in some of the satire and most of the jokes fell flat for me and others I was watching with. Plot and character development non-existent, don't need those if it's actually funny like many of McKay's other movies but this one wasn't...
In between. The point was made with some humor. Streep and Jonah were good as well as Leo. But as you say, it did jump the shark for most of the plot and subplots. And it ran a bit too long.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
In between. The point was made with some humor. Streep and Jonah were good as well as Leo. But as you say, it did jump the shark for most of the plot and subplots. And it ran a bit too long.

Yeah the length was another thing I wasn't thrilled about. Should've been like 1:40-1:50, not 2:20

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00