OT: Movie thread

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I think we may have had one in the past but it got purged.

Anyways I just saw Finding Dory, was pretty good. Someone in the OT Lounge thread mentioned Moana, which I'm now curious about.

I'll probably go see the new Star Wars film, and I imagine I'm not the only one.

my apologies if the Watcha watching thread is technically a movie thread as well

Last edited:
Reactions: Unsustainable

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
At work. Saw the story about Judge Reinhold getting arrested by airport security, so I decided to watch Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Then I screencasted it from my phone to the biggest monitor in the building and ended up with 10-12 people standing around watching for an hour or so.

"Mister if you don't shut up I'm gonna kick 100 percent of your ***!"

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Last movie I saw was Kilo Two Bravo. Terrifyingly intense. I used to watch a couple of movies a week and then tv shows got insanely good. I need to catch up at Redbox over Christmas break. Definitely want to see Keanu and Hell or High Water.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Easily the worst of the three newer ones to me.

Really? I thought it was the best of the new 3, though I don't really think any of them are all that great.

Maybe "best" isn't the right word, because it had some very clear flaws, but at least it felt like Star Trek. They're on the enterprise exploring space and coming across weird stuff, not hanging around on earth for most of the movie like the previous 2

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Not that all movies in a franchise don't fall into this a bit, but it just seemed like more of the same to me. Villain didn't do much for me, Enterprise blows up, and even though I like the song, the Beastie Boys thing was easy to see coming and stupid to me. I had other problems with it, but I've forgotten them by this point. I mean, I'm not a huge Star Trek guy, and none of them are outstanding to me. Just got bored in this one. I'd throw any of them on in the background if nothing else was on, but just wasn't my thing.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Saw Dr. Strange at Cinebistro. Didn't care too much for the movie, but it'll be hard to go back to a regular theater after that experience, even if it ran me over $100.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
I enjoyed Dr. Strange very much. It is one of the few films where I felt that the movie justified getting IMAX 3D. I think the last movie that I felt that way was Gravity.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
At work. Saw the story about Judge Reinhold getting arrested by airport security, so I decided to watch Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Then I screencasted it from my phone to the biggest monitor in the building and ended up with 10-12 people standing around watching for an hour or so.

"Mister if you don't shut up I'm gonna kick 100 percent of your ***!"

"What are you prople? On dope!?" :laugh:

Speaking of 80's teen movies, Porky's was on some obscure channel I get a few nights ago. The tally whacker scene still makes me laugh my ass off.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Not that all movies in a franchise don't fall into this a bit, but it just seemed like more of the same to me. Villain didn't do much for me, Enterprise blows up, and even though I like the song, the Beastie Boys thing was easy to see coming and stupid to me. I had other problems with it, but I've forgotten them by this point. I mean, I'm not a huge Star Trek guy, and none of them are outstanding to me. Just got bored in this one. I'd throw any of them on in the background if nothing else was on, but just wasn't my thing.

I'd agree with all of those criticisms and probably add a few of my own, but still I liked that it felt like an episode of Star Trek and not like a ripoff of Star Wars (the first new trek) or a poorly thought out remake of wrath of Khan (into darkness). My biggest beef with this new one was that it didn't really hold together thematically- the whole second half was full of speeches about how unity is strength and the humans were stronger together than this dude who used a drone army to take out the enterprise. What's a better example of strength in unity than a hive mind? I'm willing to look over plot holes or things that don't really make any sense (this alien girl was able to survive and hide in the bad guys old ship for like a hundred years and the bad guy just forgot where it was? And wouldn't she have been human like idris Elba was but she mutated different? Or something?) but the whole message part seemed tacked on and not relevant to the story they were telling. I don't disagree with the message I just don't think it was well executed.

Edit: I guess this is my roundabout way of saying I am a huge Star Trek fan and probably took the movie way too seriously

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Yeah, you touch on some of my other criticisms of that movie that I couldn't remember. I agree with the criticisms you have of the first two as well, but they didn't feel so done to me at that point. Granted, I never saw the original Khan movie, cause like I said, not a huge Star Trek fan, but I did think it was weird to go that route as well.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I like that the evil alien is defeated by the Beastie Boys, that part kicked butt

it finally came full circle :laugh:

Wrath of Khan holds up very well, classic movie. Special effects still look good.

1279875198_khan-finds-waldo.gif

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
After a hard, yet successful year, I'm taking a few days off just for myself. What are some must see movies? Specifically comedies/action/drama or any awesome movies overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad