OT: Movie thread

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I didn’t like either of the sequels as much as the first one but did find them all worth watching. Abrams may have a formula but it’s easy on the eyes and fun if you let it be. Hats off for being in charge of the two biggest sci-fi franchises of all time and pulling at least the first film of each off pretty well. Not everyone could’ve done that.

I hated Into Darkness. Like, really hated it. So much that I left the theater before it ended. I think I let it color my opinion of Beyond when I saw it before, but Beyond is legitimately a decent flick.

Beastie Boys as "classical music" might be a stretch though

Reactions: bleedgreen

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
The thing that killed into darkness for me was how adamantly all the press leading up to the movie was that Benedict Cumberbatch was NOT Kahn, they're not remaking Wrath of Kahn, etc etc and then like 30 minutes in theres people asleep in torpedoes and I was just like doggone it yall lied to me

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Early 90’s was a pretty good time for movies to me. They don’t all stand the test of time obviously but they’re fun to watch, the time right before special effects but with cinematography trying to push the boundaries as best it could

Agreed. I'm watching Tombstone right now (1993). Probably the best Western (at least IMO) since, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly?

What was also great about early 90's and even going back to the 80's, and some mid-to-late 90's films were the Soundtracks. Top Gun is probably all-time favorite.

Jurassic park came out and it all started changing. To bring it to back to the beginning of the conversation

True, and I'd add at least for the animated films, Toy Story changed that genre.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
A favorite in our house.

One of my all-time favs also fits this discussion...

For some reason I don’t like to watch the movie files I have on my hard drive even though they’re good files with the early 90’s movies like this and the others mentioned. I actually put in the BD and get the sound right on my system.

Still love Dances with Wolves. For Point Break goes in with all these, I know it’s a silly movie but it looks great and is still fun to watch.

Hell I’d throw True Romance in just because of the Hopper/Walken scene.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Kids are watching Jurassic World and my 5 year old goes, "Why don't they ever listen to Owen when he warns them? These people are not very smart."

My 9-year-old goes "yeah. IDK if this movie is accurate about dinosaurs but it's definitely got the humans right"

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The thing that killed into darkness for me was how adamantly all the press leading up to the movie was that Benedict Cumberbatch was NOT Kahn, they're not remaking Wrath of Kahn, etc etc and then like 30 minutes in theres people asleep in torpedoes and I was just like doggone it yall lied to me
481e43319db8eba47784d1e47d40fb45.jpg

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Kids are watching Jurassic World and my 5 year old goes, "Why don't they ever listen to Owen when he warns them? These people are not very smart."

There are whole genres of movies based on this here premise. I tell you, at first mention of "... those gruesome murders twenty years ago..." by some elderly caretalker my gang is totally back in the car and driving to the next potential place to stay the night.

... but I'm also pretty sure that there are elderly caretakers using the murder speech to get rid of the prospective business brought by some young delinguents that they rather won't have. "Oh, we have had plenty of vacant rooms, ever since the... I mean, nothing".

"Old geezer is just trying to scare us off! You don't want our business, man!?"

And then comes in a radio report that the road ahead has been closed due to the heavy rain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Hamilton was damn good, but i’d say it may be a bit overrated.

still impressive to essentially make a 3 hour rap about US history

Reactions: MinJaBen

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The actress in Lempo’s post is Madeline Kahn, he’s making a joke reference to all the Star Trek “Wrath of Kahn” talk.

He’s also dating himself....and everyone old enough to get the reference....

Actually I'm really being a dick, because the Star Trek character is, in fact, Khan. So it's not so much a reference but more a snide dickery and getting some mileage from a funny misspelling.

If I was doing my thing right, at least some of you guys was supposed to have a mental image of Hedy Lamarr bringing in flowers to someone who turns out to be Benedict Cumberpatch in a Lili von Stumpfh outfit.

Harvey Korman would kill in that scene.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
That was actually fine at the time. We were really, really uneducated.

I wouldn't know about that... our western friends (' hypemen) sure have made a point of never letting us forget that everything that counts as culture in our whereabouts was brought by them in their fabled crusades.

... shame about our core Christian vocabulary all curiously being Slavic loanwords, really.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
I wouldn't know about that... our western friends (' hypemen) sure have made a point of never letting us forget that everything that counts as culture in our whereabouts was brought by them in their fabled crusades.

... shame about our core Christian vocabulary all curiously being Slavic loanwords, really.
We were christianized relatively soon and as far as I am concerned we have more in common with German speakers especially Austrians then Russians.

Saying this in front of a Czech “patriot” (read as rusophile) guarantees a fit.

As far as Finnish culture goes, if my 2 favorite finnish bands mention crusaders or christians in a song, it usually contains something like kuolla as well. And that’s the better option.

Reactions: Lempo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->