Most useless or inaccurate stat in hockey?

outoftune

Nov 16, 2011
1000 Chopper Circle
First, If something is 100% team based then it literally wouldn't matter what goalie you put behind a team. If that were true, I (with a grand total of 0 minutes of ice hockey goalie experience) could suit up and pull the same stats as Lundqvist. I think we can both agree how absurd that is.

Second, if you can't use SV%, GAA and Wins to compare goalies, which metrics do you suppose should be used?

We are in the age of VORP, QB Ratings, WPA/G, OPS(really the proven effectiveness and simplicity of the stat is why this was included), DIPS, etc.

The fact that most of the widely used stats in hockey are so bad means no-one is trying, we have this post and almost every common statistic has been attacked at one point or another, the leagues reporting is completely biased and overall a joke.

So to answer your question until better statistics are around in hockey, I just hope people continue to watch the sport to compare players, maybe it is just me though.

[Edit: To not offend the hard working amateur stat gurus that can be applauded for most of the analysis in sports, My point on no-one trying was directed towards the league; its hard to analyse anything using bad source info]

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
So to answer your question until better statistics are around in hockey, I just hope people continue to watch the sport to compare players, maybe it is just me though.

"Watching the sport" suffers similar biases when comparing players - I go into this in depth earlier in the thread and elsewhere in this forum.

EDIT: here's the most accessible comment:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=70567617

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
First, If something is 100% team based then it literally wouldn't matter what goalie you put behind a team. If that were true, I (with a grand total of 0 minutes of ice hockey goalie experience) could suit up and pull the same stats as Lundqvist. I think we can both agree how absurd that is.
Wins are 100% team based. The goalie is part of the team. The team wins or loses the game

The rest of the goalie stats are player based. The player makes the save or not, which affects his percentage and average. Of course the team affects his stats, but that goes for all stats, so that’s nothing new. Wins are the only stat (that I can think), which is 100% team based, yet attributed to an individual. It’s the most useless stat out there. I’ve never understood why only the goalie gets the win stat.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Wins are 100% team based. The goalie is part of the team. The team wins or loses the game

Granted, although that's typically not what someone means when they use the phrase "team-based" to disparage a statistic's worth.

outoftune

Nov 16, 2011
1000 Chopper Circle

The rest of the goalie stats are player based. The player makes the save or not, which affects his percentage and average. Of course the team affects his stats, but that goes for all stats, so that’s nothing new. Wins are the only stat (that I can think), which is 100% team based, yet attributed to an individual. It’s the most useless stat out there. I’ve never understood why only the goalie gets the win stat.

Sv% and GAA are both again team based stats..... GAA is the amount of goals scored on a team, if we called it "goals for" or "goals against" it would be considered a team stat not a goalie statistic.... and Sv% a made up of goals and shots aloud, (1 - # of goals/shots aloud) both of which I would again say are team statistics, maybe I'm in the minority here

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Sv% and GAA are both again team based stats..... GAA is the amount of goals scored on a team, if we called it "goals for" or "goals against" it would be considered a team stat not a goalie statistic.... and Sv% a made up of goals and shots aloud, (1 - # of goals/shots aloud) both of which I would again say are team statistics, maybe I'm in the minority here

Yes, teams are involved in both statistics (although I haven't seen anyone in this thread claim otherwise).

You said that they were 100% team based - is that the claim that you're defending here?

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
GAA is the amount of goals scored on a goalie. When a goal is scored, There is generally 4 people who get credited - the 2 assisters, the goal scorer and the goalie who was beaten. Every other players on the ice gets a + or - since they are on the ice and have part to play with the goal being scored, but individually 4 people get stats credited (or discredited, in terms of the goalie) to them. The only real difference and goalies have their stats averaged over 60 mins and players stats are noted as absolutes.

Team GA and GF are a team stat, since its every goal scored on and by the team.

Thumper17

Jun 27, 2011
So +/- is apparently a horrible stat.

But if your looking at two players and they are pretty similar. But one has a -20 and the other a +20, who do you pick?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
So +/- is apparently a horrible stat.

But if your looking at two players and they are pretty similar. But one has a -20 and the other a +20, who do you pick?

You'd have to define "pretty similar"

What type of players are each playing against? Who are they playing with? What type of situations are they deployed in? What's the goaltending behind each been?

Without additional information you can't say which one you'd pick.

We are in the age of VORP, QB Ratings, WPA/G, OPS(really the proven effectiveness and simplicity of the stat is why this was included), DIPS, etc.

The fact that most of the widely used stats in hockey are so bad means no-one is trying, we have this post and almost every common statistic has been attacked at one point or another, the leagues reporting is completely biased and overall a joke.

[Edit: To not offend the hard working amateur stat gurus that can be applauded for most of the analysis in sports, My point on no-one trying was directed towards the league; its hard to analyse anything using bad source info]

Simply because someone attacks a stat does not mean it is useless. I can point out flaws or issues with each of the stats you mentioned, that doesn't mean they're invalid, it just means that you can't use any of them as a singular source of information about a player.

I'm also not sure what bias has to do with it, unless you believe that the league has sent some form of instructions to various rinks to artificially inflate or deflate shot counts. Of the "basic" stats for goalies/players, shots is the only one that involves any form of judgement, and even that is tempered by the fact that half your games are played away from your home rink, and in every game both teams are judged by the same shot keeper.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I am shocked to see that GWG hasn't been mentioned yet in this entire thread. It is a completely useless stat.

Totally agree

Puck Luck

Totally disagree.

Puck Luck is probably a stat that's practically single handidly won me hockey pools. I have made mammoth trades taking advantage of players i had that were "hot", no longer in situations of "expected improvement", and scoring at a high clip, due to puck luck research.

It's probably my favorite, at least for a "warning" on whats likely to come.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Easily the worst not in only hockey, but all sports.

"Clutch-factor". It simply doesn't exist.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Team blocked shots. Useful for an individual, but as a team it means you spend too much time in your own zone getting hurt because you can't clear the damn puck.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Giveaways and takeaways. Just very inaccurate from building to building.

Toronto gives up the puck a whole lot more at home than on the road and it's not even close.

Colorado is a takeaway haven. It's not wonder why their forwards are usually on top of the list for takeaways.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I think stats like Hits and Blocked Shots aren't useless. They do tells us a bit about a player and his style, even if they don't tell us a ton about his effectiveness.

For the most part guys who are really high in hits are indeed physical players, and guys who are really low aren't. Thus if there's a player you've never seen before, a look at those stats can give you some information about what type of player he is.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
+/- is often misused by people, but is also pretty useless

Hits, takeaways, giveaways, blocked shots (like the guy mentioned above) Give an indication about playing style, but shouldnt give indication about value or performance.

These stats are often not understood and misused.

Hitting, takeaways and blocked shots all happen off the puck and having high totals in these categories may mean poor possession play.

Giveaways are often seen as a "bad" stat, but giveaways happen when you have possession of the puck. Which is why youll see players that love to have the puck (and are often top talents) with high giveaway totals.

Not useless, but misinterepted

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
This. I've never understood the relevance of ponts.

Doesn't that mean bridges in French?

+/- You can be a very good player on a bad team and be negative. You can be a poor defensive player on a high scoring team and be around zero.

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
...+/- You can be a very good player on a bad team and be negative. You can be a poor defensive player on a high scoring team and be around zero.

Player Team Pos 1st NHL Season Last NHL Season GP G A P +/- PIM PP SH GW GT OT Shots
1-30 of 6259 results. 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7-12 | Next | Last
1 Larry Robinson D 1972-1973 1991-1992 1,384 208 750 958 +730 793 66 3 29 2 0 2,338
2 Bobby Orr D 1966-1967 1978-1979 657 270 645 915 +597 953 73 15 26
3 Ray Bourque D 1979-1980 2000-2001 1,612 410 1,169 1,579 +528 1,141 173 16 60 14 4 6,206
4 Wayne Gretzky C 1979-1980 1998-1999 1,487 894 1,963 2,857 +518 577 204 73 91 12 1 5,089
http://www.nhl.com/ice/careerstats....rt=plusMinus&viewName=careerLeadersAllSeasons

Larry Robinson is a great defensive player, but you can be a great offensive player on a great team and have a great +/-.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad