Most underrated/overrated prospects on HFBOARDS?

adambanks

Apr 25, 2006
It seems as though no-one recognizes any of the top 10 from 2005 as having talent to be stars in the NHL one day.[besides crosby, brule and johnson].

guys like Ryan, Pouliot, Price, Setoguchi, Bourdon, Skille> no one has faith in any of them?

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
It seems as though no-one recognizes any of the top 10 from 2005 as having talent to be stars in the NHL one day.[besides crosby, brule and johnson].

guys like Ryan, Pouliot, Price, Setoguchi, Bourdon, Skille> no one has faith in any of them?

Since When Does Bourdon not get praise?? He gets praise all the time on the Canucks board.

Setoguchi - Hes beginning to get praise again, he played welll in the WHL, should develop into a fine top 6 player.

Price - isn't a franchise goaltender, but should develop into a decent starting goaltender sometime.

Ryan - Dont really like him, and think he is quite overratted. I think his upside is limited to 70 points, a 2nd line winger.

Pouliot - Really hasn't shown much since 2005... Future 2nd/3rd liner

Skille - No one has faith in him :biglaugh:

leafaholix*

Take this into consideration. There are valuable traits that players have that will lead them to be paired with great players, and there is a chance that if Andrew Ladd keeps progressing at the same trajectory, he will play on a line with Eric Staal in the near future and his production will benefit from playing with him. As it stands right now, Ladd is penciled into the Top 6 of the Stanley Cup Champions when play resumes next year and he will be 20 years old at the start of the season. If his upside is only a 2nd line player, then he has acheived that already by the standards of the Carolina Hurricanes staff. It must be a terrible fate to be topped out at 20 years old, that is of course, those projections of him were wrong.

Andrew Ladd is a physical presence already. He's great on the forecheck and has great finish around the net. Those traits alone will ensure that he is at least a 2nd line player, but he has higher upside than that unless you feel he is a complete player right now at 20 years old. Next year, the organization thinks highly enough of him to have him start the year on the 2nd line with Rod Brind'Amour and Justin Williams. That places him on a higher career curve than a lot of players his age. Before he blew out his knee this year, he had 6 goals at the NHL level in 15 games and was playing limited minutes.

As you've said he doesn't have an overly impressive skill set overall, but he reminds me quite a bit of John Leclair. He is always on the spot when it comes to scoring the ugly goals and he's strong enough to get into high traffic areas on the ice and finish. I think he has 30-30-60 type upside already, and if he pairs up with Staal then you can add 10-10-20 to that. It wouldn't surprise me if Ladd never posts a point per game at the NHL level, but not every single first line forward in the league is going to do that. Players like Ladd take a long time to round their game out, and the fact that a budding power forward is already going to play on the 2nd line of the Champions next year is a pretty strong endorsement for his future progress.

It isn't just me that's saying he has first line upside, it's the Carolina Hurricanes Staff and they're putting their money where their mouth is. He wasn't the top ranked North American Skater in his draft year because he had 2nd line upside.

In addition, 17 goals in 55 games in your first professional season at 19 years old isn't terrible. Especially when you consider that about 20 of those games were recovery from a knee ligament injury. Most Hurricanes fans you'll see aren't incredibly concerned about his prospects.

This just in, Alexei Ponikarovsky would look like a top line player alongside Eric Staal.

Geese_Howard*

underrated - justin pogge, lead canada to gold, was brilliant, stole the goaltending job from price as a walk on, canada was expected to finish out of medal contention, also has won a **** load of accolades.

overrated

lattondresse (sp?) got his bell rung again, I dont think he will ever be anything special.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Underrated:Schremp (may seem like a homer pick) This guy gets constantly bashed it isn't even funny. He put up 47 points in 19 playoff games in the OHL (10 more than anyone else in the playoffs) Led the league with 145 points (15 more than anyone else) 57 goals in 57 games.... yet many criticize him because of supposed attitude problems. The guy likes to win, and all of his teammates and coaches say he is a great guy. I think this guy will be a future #1 center and will score many many goals.

Overrated:Malkin. I think he will be great, a franchise #1 center, but I don't think he is the second coming of Lemieux, and anyone who does will be dissapointed. I would be SHOCKED if he got more than 70 points next year (I could of course be wrong)

likeavoss

Jan 15, 2006
Sherwood Park
When a player is being mentioned as overrated as much as Schremp and Parise are, how in the heck can they still be considered overrated? They get bashed a hell of a lot more than they get praised on these boards.

Underrated = Yandle, Jacques, Trukhno, Setoguchi... (San Jose has quite a few prospects I would consider underrated, actually).

As far as Toews being overrated goes... do you guys even watch him play?:dunno:

Last edited:

gars59

Jan 16, 2005
Trois-Rivières
underrated - justin pogge, lead canada to gold, was brilliant, stole the goaltending job from price as a walk on, canada was expected to finish out of medal contention, also has won a **** load of accolades.

overrated

lattondresse (sp?) got his bell rung again, I dont think he will ever be anything special.

underrated:put your favorite prospect

overrated:put a favorite prospect of a team you hate

:sarcasm:

hab

Jan 19, 2006
overrated on my habs- koststsyn - mostly based on potential rather than accomplishment

underrated- o sullivan - LA probably cant beleive they got him AND a fist round pick

Geese_Howard*

underrated:put your favorite prospect

overrated:put a favorite prospect of a team you hate

:sarcasm:

my favourite prospect is jermey williams, I hate alot of teams, dont flatter yourself by saying I hate your team the most, I hate many teams equally.:D

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I'd call York a very good third liner... Parise will be an ordinary second liner, IMO... like 65 points in his prime. Of course it's a rivalry issue, but I think Dubinsky is a better prospect.

Overrated: Ladd, Coburn, Voloshenko
Underrated: Nilsson, Brule, Rask

How can Parise be overrated? He seems to get bashed as much as any young player on this board. Did he have some adjusting to do and does he need to get stronger? Of course he does and will because the kid is a hard worker and has a great attitude. However, at the end of the year he was playing on the first line as a left-winger, a position he never played before and doing a heck of a job while gaining more confidence. I believe Parise will one day be the Devils captain. As for Dubinsky, never heard of him. Can we give him more then one season before we label him as overrated or any rookie with high expectations? :shakehead

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad