Most underrated/overrated prospects on HFBOARDS?

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Overrated: Depends on the poster or writer

Underrated: Alex Emelin (Whats the spelling on his name anyway? Sometime I see Yemelin.)

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
I think this could spark a good discussion. What prospects that seem to be so highly talked about here make you shake your head? and on the contrary what prospects that DON'T seem to be highly talked about make you want to pimp(yes I used pimp on a hockey forum) this player?
kessel is the most overrated prospect , a russ courtnall clone at best , i see him as a third line checker if he ever makes it at the nhl level the most underrated player imo is marek schwartz , st. louis goaltending prospect has the ability to steal games and will be a superstar in the nhl and make everybody say roberto who ???

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Well Russ Courtnall maybe... but third line .... absolutly not

It will be either top 6 forward or nothing for M. Kessel

MALKIN IS GOD !!!!!!*

underrated : Brian Boyle. The kid is going to bring pain to the NHL in the near future

overrated : Jonathan Taeves - caught alot of his games o.k but the 3rd overall pick:shakehead T.j. Oshie makes him look like a chump. they don't even belong on the same ice IMO

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
kessel is the most overrated prospect , a russ courtnall clone at best , i see him as a third line checker if he ever makes it at the nhl level the most underrated player imo is marek schwartz , st. louis goaltending prospect has the ability to steal games and will be a superstar in the nhl and make everybody say roberto who ???

A checker? Have you ever seen Kessel? *

*Doubtful

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
:shakehead I like Oshie...their stats were close last year and keep in mind Toews was 17......and is 16 month younger than Oshie.

underrated : Brian Boyle. The kid is going to bring pain to the NHL in the near future

overrated : Jonathan Taeves - caught alot of his games o.k but the 3rd overall pick:shakehead T.j. Oshie makes him look like a chump. they don't even belong on the same ice IMO

FangFingers

Apr 6, 2005
Overrated - Radulov. Evan as a Preds fan this guys legend might be too much. I hope he lives up to it.

Underrated - Shea Weber. It would not shock me to see this guy have a Phaneuf like impact this season.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
The most overrated prospect around here is Evgeny Malkin.

He is quite easily, the most overrated prospect ever to be mentioned on these boards.

We may as well burn every tape in the NHL offices because the way you guys talk about Malkin, he is already better than Gretzky and Lemieux combined. Erase every name on the cup and write MALKIN on it because hockey will begin and end with this guy....

Honestly, if he score sless than 150 points in his opening season, I will consider him to be below expectations taking into account what I've read from you people.

Can we sat MASSIVE hyperbole?
I Mean, talk about over exagerration!!!!!
Ive never heard ANYONE say he is better than Mario and Wayne combined....someone has an agendaaaaa!

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Can we sat MASSIVE hyperbole?
I Mean, talk about over exagerration!!!!!
Ive never heard ANYONE say he is better than Mario and Wayne combined....someone has an agendaaaaa!

Maybe not but at reading some posters he seems almost better than Ovechkin and Crosby:banghead:

Edit:
By the way is ahead of gouys like Luongo, Heathley, Spezza and cie for #7 best trade value poll right now... meaning that the guys that voted for him wouln' trade him for Dany Heathley... enough said

Last edited:

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Maybe not but at reading some posters he seems almost better than Ovechkin and Crosby:banghead:

Edit:
By the way is ahead of gouys like Luongo, Heathley, Spezza and cie for #7 best trade value poll right now... meaning that the guys that voted for him wouln' trade him for Dany Heathley... enough said

Well you tell me what YOU think his trade value is, cuz it is pretty darn high, so before we criticize, throw out what you think his value is.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Over-rated: Zach Parise, been saying this for years, he's no 1st line centre, he's going to be a very good 2nd line centre like a Mike York type.

Under-rated: no clue

I'd call York a very good third liner... Parise will be an ordinary second liner, IMO... like 65 points in his prime. Of course it's a rivalry issue, but I think Dubinsky is a better prospect.

Overrated: Ladd, Coburn, Voloshenko
Underrated: Nilsson, Brule, Rask

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Well you tell me what YOU think his trade value is, cuz it is pretty darn high, so before we criticize, throw out what you think his value is.

If you had Dany Heathley would you trade him for Malkin... I certainly wouldn't

Now as far as trade value You could say is trade value is probably 2-3 top end prospect but as far as established player... hum hard to tell... but definatly not top ten value ,.... until he makes it to the NHL. Right now... probably somewhere in the Marleau range(has far as what you can get for cause I doubt that he is available).

But right now not any GM would risk trading a high star profile for Malkin

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Bartender said:
But right now not any GM would risk trading a high star profile for Malkin

Disagree. GM's on teams with cap trouble would gladly trade an expensive, proven star for an inexpensive "probable" star if it would mean they could keep some of their other players which otherwise would have become cap casualties.

You don't think Ottawa would trade Heatley for Malkin if it meant they could resign Chara & Redden??? I do. But there's no way Pittsburgh would give up young, inexpensive talent whose right's they'll control for 7 or so years, for a guy with a heavy contract and shorter duration.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Disagree. GM's on teams with cap trouble would gladly trade an expensive, proven star for an inexpensive "probable" star if it would mean they could keep some of their other players which otherwise would have become cap casualties.

You don't think Ottawa would trade Heatley for Malkin if it meant they could resign Chara & Redden??? I do. But there's no way Pittsburgh would give up young, inexpensive talent whose right's they'll control for 7 or so years, for a guy with a heavy contract and shorter duration.

Now trading for cap value is like trading with a gun on your head... therefore irrelevant for the kids value as a prospect... Yes he's good... just not has good as some poster seems to expect (one even predicted 115 pts )

Just wan't to remind you Heathley actually plays a dominant role in the NHL and (not maybe in the future)

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
Now trading for cap value is like trading with a gun on your head... therefore irrelevant for the kids value as a prospect... Yes he's good... just not has good as some poster seems to expect (one even predicted 115 pts )

Just wan't to remind you Heathley actually plays a dominant role in the NHL and (not maybe in the future)

That was from the poster 'Malkin is God'. I wouldn't take his opinions to seriously with regards to Malkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->