Most underrated/overrated prospects on HFBOARDS?

acadienboy

Oct 31, 2004
Overrated : Guillaume Latendresse. Sorry, but I doubt this guy will prove to be a homerun for Montreal.

Underrated : None.

Latendresse ended last season with a concussion and he's out of canada junior training camp cause he's suffering from another concussion. For that reason i think he is overrated.

Underrated, Luc Bourdon. He finished last season playing in the memorial cup with a bad ankle.(and by bad i mean that the guy couldn't even put any weight on is ankle by the end of the game) And he still manage to play decent. I think the the Canucks fan are going to love him this season.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I'd call York a very good third liner... Parise will be an ordinary second liner, IMO... like 65 points in his prime. Of course it's a rivalry issue, but I think Dubinsky is a better prospect.

Overrated: Ladd, Coburn, Voloshenko
Underrated: Nilsson, Brule, Rask

There is no way on earth that Andrew Ladd is overrated. Many people here have called him the worst 4th overall pick of the modern era. He has great hands, plays the body, and is an absolute horse. He has first line upside.

Reactions: w e l o s t b o y s

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'd call York a very good third liner... Parise will be an ordinary second liner, IMO... like 65 points in his prime. Of course it's a rivalry issue, but I think Dubinsky is a better prospect.

Overrated: Ladd, Coburn, Voloshenko
Underrated: Nilsson, Brule, Rask

No way is Ladd overrated, especially with all the flak the guy was taking before the season. Asside from a few people everyone seemed to be calling the Canes taking him at #4 a big stretch and in many 04 mock re-drafts he's STILL outside of a lot of top 10s. The guy was being called the worst #4 overall pick in the past decade after he had one bad season with Calgary... despite the fact that he had a solid WJC that year, was nearly a point-per-game in the WHL playoffs and had a huge year the year before. The criticism has died down a lot since he played a key role for the Canes durring the cup run, but a lot of it is still there.

Reactions: w e l o s t b o y s

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Latendresse ended last season with a concussion and he's out of canada junior training camp cause he's suffering from another concussion. For that reason i think he is overrated.

overrated because of concussions?:help: last year was a bad year for him and he STILL managed to have 43 goals in 51 games, he's the closest thing thing to a Todd Bertuzzi(of the old days) powerforward project right now, since i consider Ryan and Penner to be big guys with soft hands and not powerforwards, they don't hit or crash the net as much, maybe he is alittle overrated by us since we haven't had a powerforward since the rocket(lol) and we're really impatient of seeing him join the Habs

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Yeah, despite my obvious biases, Robert Nillson is very underrated here. In fact most of the Islander's prospects, roster and organization as a whole is even when one disregards or factors in the recent occurrences...

As for OVERrated, well this site's overall obssession and value attached to "prospects" as a whole.

Marmax

Dec 28, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
overrated because of concussions?:help: last year was a bad year for him and he STILL managed to have 43 goals in 51 games, he's the closest thing thing to a Todd Bertuzzi(of the old days) powerforward project right now, since i consider Ryan and Penner to be big guys with soft hands and not powerforwards, they don't hit or crash the net as much, maybe he is alittle overrated by us since we haven't had a powerforward since the rocket(lol) and we're really impatient of seeing him join the Habs

The thing with Latendresse is that after his strong showing at camp everyone started to have big expectation for him without knowing him all that much.I can tell that some of those expectation are well deserved but since last fall overating has skyrocketed quickly. I have seen him and his brother Olivier play a lot for years and this is my viewing on him. People thinks that this year in the Q was a really bad year for him but I don't think it was that bad. People expected him to burn the league but it was crazy expectation that I never expected him to fufill especially considering his time with ecj. The truth is, Guillaume has never burned any league so far and if he was to return to the Q next year he would not burn the league either. So far, one of his main strenght was to remain competitive despite the league he plays in and I think that it will translate well in the nhl in which he should be good enought to be a 2nd tier powerforward who should be good for 50-60pts even maybe 70pts if he is able to develop his skating but it would be a reach.I just dont see a Todd Bertuzzi in him because he just don't have that kind of talent even if he reach is top celling and if you do expect that from him be prepared for a deception. Somehow I think that Olivier is more skilled but because of the size/power factor he is less of a sure thing to have a somewhat productive career.

Bit of broken english, sorry

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I would have to agree that Robert Nilsson is underrated. That guy has skills that you just can't teach and is going to put up some big numbers in the NHL someday.

And of course the homer pick for the Sens would have to be Arttu Luttinen. There's a possibility he cracks the Sens lineup this year, and he finished top 10 in scoring in the Finish Elite league. Could turn into a Ville Niemenen type player.

Hockey-Freak

Apr 18, 2005
No way is Ladd overrated, especially with all the flak the guy was taking before the season. Asside from a few people everyone seemed to be calling the Canes taking him at #4 a big stretch and in many 04 mock re-drafts he's STILL outside of a lot of top 10s. The guy was being called the worst #4 overall pick in the past decade after he had one bad season with Calgary... despite the fact that he had a solid WJC that year, was nearly a point-per-game in the WHL playoffs and had a huge year the year before. The criticism has died down a lot since he played a key role for the Canes durring the cup run, but a lot of it is still there.

your post is OK but a KEY role???? He had 5 points in 17 games - he was a ROLE PLAYER, not a key player!
But I agree, he´s more underrated than overrated...

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
he ended dwayne roloson's playoff run didn't he? :teach:

:banghead: Not this argument again.

Bergeron had EASILY as much and almost definitely more to do with that injury then Ladd himself.

Hockey-Freak said:
your post is OK but a KEY role???? He had 5 points in 17 games - he was a ROLE PLAYER, not a key player!
But I agree, he´s more underrated than overrated...

I'll admit that the word key was a bit of a stretch, but he definitely contributed a lot more then his 5 points would indicate. He filled the void that the Hurricanes had of a physical winger in the top 9 with Cole out of the lineup. Something I don't think the Hurricanes would have gotten past the Conference Finals without.

sandbox

Nov 6, 2005
I've got a bone to pick with people who say Toews is Overrated..You guys are effing crazy. have you actually ever seen him play. Its quite a disappointing comment. I just watched him at the Canada WJHCs. In 3 intersquads, the guy dominates play..DOMINATES...He looked like an NHLer amongst CHLers..

The guy outworks everyone and has the most skill to boot..He was hands down the best player there, skated circles around Jordan Staal, and there is no way he is a 2nd line player. The guy is the next Joe Sakic..yeah i said it.

before you run your mouth about Toews being overrated, how about you watch him live..

sandbox

Nov 6, 2005
Oh yeah PS...Carey Price is actually not very good, so i don't know why ppl say he's underrated...The guy is great positionally but has one of the slowest goalies reaction time i've seen in a prospect as highley touted as he is in a long time..

Overrated:JORDAN STAAL Price, Shremp, Bourdon
Underrated: Letang, Toews, M.Staal, O'sullivan, Kopitar, S.Weber

Reactions: maxbme

leafaholix*

There is no way on earth that Andrew Ladd is overrated. Many people here have called him the worst 4th overall pick of the modern era. He has great hands, plays the body, and is an absolute horse. He has first line upside.

yes, until he proves to everyone that he isn't a 1st line talent, you can keep saying he has 1st line upside. but frankly, for those of us who have seen him playing for many years, he's nothing more than a 2nd line player at best. he has good hands, size, and is a great role player, but he's not talented enough to be a 1st line forward in the nhl.

here's an interesting fact for you, at no level has he ever averaged a point-per-game.

AHL: 25 games, 19 points
WHL: 137 games, 120 points
BCHL: 58 games, 55 points

my point, he's a talented player, but he's not offensively gifted enough to play on your top line. he's not a producer.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
If you ask me Latendresse might me overrated by Mtl fans and underrated by the rest of the league. The 7.5C rating seems accurate to me. Habs fans seems to label him as an 8Aor B while the rest of the fans seems to rate him arounf 6C. He has excelent top line potential and might become what we Habs fans dream of... but at the same time he's a very high risk not to devellop.

I'd compare him as a possible Steve Bernier... He can be a force when he puts his head to it... but like Bernier attitude will be the key weither he make it.. or not

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
I've got a bone to pick with people who say Toews is Overrated..You guys are effing crazy. have you actually ever seen him play. Its quite a disappointing comment. I just watched him at the Canada WJHCs. In 3 intersquads, the guy dominates play..DOMINATES...He looked like an NHLer amongst CHLers..

The guy outworks everyone and has the most skill to boot..He was hands down the best player there, skated circles around Jordan Staal, and there is no way he is a 2nd line player. The guy is the next Joe Sakic..yeah i said it.

before you run your mouth about Toews being overrated, how about you watch him live..

You're right he's not Overrated at all on this board... people are actually unfair with him cause he was 3 overall and might not have big numbers last year to justuify it in there eyes:dunno:

Dr_Hook

Jun 4, 2006
Andrei Kostitsyn is so overated by the habs fans, it's insane!!!

Agreed 100%. :clap: Besides having been picked 10th overall, nothing justifies this hype. I've watched him in the AHL a couple of times: doesn't seem interrested by the game, has no clue where he has to go when he doesn't have the puck, total floater out there, all he does is try to deke his way to the off zone so he can shot a predictable useless wrister...

Best case scenario: a lesser Ryder. Worst case scenario: a lesser Dagenais :eek: (if that is even possible...:D )

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
yes, until he proves to everyone that he isn't a 1st line talent, you can keep saying he has 1st line upside. but frankly, for those of us who have seen him playing for many years, he's nothing more than a 2nd line player at best. he has good hands, size, and is a great role player, but he's not talented enough to be a 1st line forward in the nhl.

here's an interesting fact for you, at no level has he ever averaged a point-per-game.

AHL: 25 games, 19 points
WHL: 137 games, 120 points
BCHL: 58 games, 55 points

my point, he's a talented player, but he's not offensively gifted enough to play on your top line. he's not a producer.

Take this into consideration. There are valuable traits that players have that will lead them to be paired with great players, and there is a chance that if Andrew Ladd keeps progressing at the same trajectory, he will play on a line with Eric Staal in the near future and his production will benefit from playing with him. As it stands right now, Ladd is penciled into the Top 6 of the Stanley Cup Champions when play resumes next year and he will be 20 years old at the start of the season. If his upside is only a 2nd line player, then he has acheived that already by the standards of the Carolina Hurricanes staff. It must be a terrible fate to be topped out at 20 years old, that is of course, those projections of him were wrong.

Andrew Ladd is a physical presence already. He's great on the forecheck and has great finish around the net. Those traits alone will ensure that he is at least a 2nd line player, but he has higher upside than that unless you feel he is a complete player right now at 20 years old. Next year, the organization thinks highly enough of him to have him start the year on the 2nd line with Rod Brind'Amour and Justin Williams. That places him on a higher career curve than a lot of players his age. Before he blew out his knee this year, he had 6 goals at the NHL level in 15 games and was playing limited minutes.

As you've said he doesn't have an overly impressive skill set overall, but he reminds me quite a bit of John Leclair. He is always on the spot when it comes to scoring the ugly goals and he's strong enough to get into high traffic areas on the ice and finish. I think he has 30-30-60 type upside already, and if he pairs up with Staal then you can add 10-10-20 to that. It wouldn't surprise me if Ladd never posts a point per game at the NHL level, but not every single first line forward in the league is going to do that. Players like Ladd take a long time to round their game out, and the fact that a budding power forward is already going to play on the 2nd line of the Champions next year is a pretty strong endorsement for his future progress.

It isn't just me that's saying he has first line upside, it's the Carolina Hurricanes Staff and they're putting their money where their mouth is. He wasn't the top ranked North American Skater in his draft year because he had 2nd line upside.

In addition, 17 goals in 55 games in your first professional season at 19 years old isn't terrible. Especially when you consider that about 20 of those games were recovery from a knee ligament injury. Most Hurricanes fans you'll see aren't incredibly concerned about his prospects.

Last edited:

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Overrated: Braydon Coburn

Where in the world did the idea come from that he had good offensive upside? He didn't put up great offensive numbers in four years in Portland and his AHL offensive numbers don't impress either. He could develop into a solid defensive defenceman but I'm not sold on him ever showing much offence at the NHL level.

He somewhat reminds me of Eric Brewer in this regard as everyone keeps expecting Brewer's offensive game to develop when he's never shown much in the way of natural offensive talent.

Underrated: Rostislav Olesz

I love the potential of this kid - he played 3.41 shorthanded minutes per game in his rookie year, more than any other Florida forward besides Payer and very close to what Peca played in Edmonton (3.48 SH mins/game).

Combine that with some decent numbers in his rookie year and I see him developing into a very good two-way forward in this league despite the lack of recognition.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
The thing with Latendresse is that after his strong showing at camp everyone started to have big expectation for him without knowing him all that much.I can tell that some of those expectation are well deserved but since last fall overating has skyrocketed quickly. I have seen him and his brother Olivier play a lot for years and this is my viewing on him. People thinks that this year in the Q was a really bad year for him but I don't think it was that bad. People expected him to burn the league but it was crazy expectation that I never expected him to fufill especially considering his time with ecj. The truth is, Guillaume has never burned any league so far and if he was to return to the Q next year he would not burn the league either. So far, one of his main strenght was to remain competitive despite the league he plays in and I think that it will translate well in the nhl in which he should be good enought to be a 2nd tier powerforward who should be good for 50-60pts even maybe 70pts if he is able to develop his skating but it would be a reach.I just dont see a Todd Bertuzzi in him because he just don't have that kind of talent even if he reach is top celling and if you do expect that from him be prepared for a deception. Somehow I think that Olivier is more skilled but because of the size/power factor he is less of a sure thing to have a somewhat productive career.

Bit of broken english, sorry

You are right in what you are saying. I saw them play midget and couldn't help but say, too bad Olivier is small. Guillaume was big and strong and a little slow with a good shot. He did well because of his strength, his talent limitation will catch up to him. I have not been over taken by all the fanfare with Guillaume. Having seen him play when he was growing I can see now where he will end up at. He is not any different than any other drafted player just that he has been more visible because of the circumstances.:dunno:

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
Underratted: Perttu Lindgren, Alexei Mikhnov, Josh Harding, Jimmy Howard,

Overratted: Braydon Coburn, Jordan Staal, Bobby Ryan, Ryan Suter

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Agreed 100%. :clap: Besides having been picked 10th overall, nothing justifies this hype. I've watched him in the AHL a couple of times: doesn't seem interrested by the game, has no clue where he has to go when he doesn't have the puck, total floater out there, all he does is try to deke his way to the off zone so he can shot a predictable useless wrister...

Best case scenario: a lesser Ryder. Worst case scenario: a lesser Dagenais :eek: (if that is even possible...:D )

i'l remember that and we'l talk about it in a couple of years, you hear evreywhere that the only reason he felt to us was because of his health issues, KOSTYTSIN WAS A PROJECT EVEN BEFORE THE DRAFT, his talent is undeniable, he has one of the best wristers i have ever seen( i saw him at the bell center once againts the Sabres), he's fast, has crazy hands, what he sucks is reading the play he has to do, seems lost often, but guess what, he'l get better and reach his potential, to me Andrei Kostytsin is the 2006 version of Markus Naslund, i'm sacred that we'l trade him to the Canucks too for a Stojanov clone or something

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad