Most underperforming player (30 game mark)

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
My list:

Kopitar
Pietrangelo
Karlsson
Provorov
Carter
Schwartz
Galchenyuk
Steen

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Poor Karlsson having the best defensive season of his career and dominating possession but stuck with a 5% on ice shooting percentage and 88% save percentage from his goalie.

Karlsson hasn't dropped off. When he regresses to the mean he'll be right back where he was. San Jose has been getting hideous goaltending and no puck luck.

Neal is a good answer for sure.

That might be true but Neal also has been a negative impact player on offence and defence this year, while Karlsson has like a 60% Corsi right now.

I expect Neal's points and goals to increase but his impact on the game itself isn't good right now.

How refreshing, someone who knows what they are talking about and doesn't do shallow, clueless hot takes. How very unHF. Karlsson is, frankly, what I've always thought him to be, perhaps a touch better at actually connecting passes rather than moving the puck toward the goal than I realized. San Jose's system isn't designed to score the most goals in the league, it's designed to score more goals than the other team.

That said he is surely being cramped a bit by having Burns on the same squad having a stellar year. Karlsson's dropoff isn't really due to his play, at least the adjustment doesn't account for all of the change in results. It's due to his situation.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I'd say Jaccob Slavin but he was never good to begin with.

So James Neal.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
James Neal has been a big disappointment. There’s no disputing that.

But James Neal’s contract is absolutely not worse than Lucic’s contract. Many Oiler fans will like to post this to make themselves feel better about Lucic. But fact is, Lucic has a buyproof contract, Neal doesn’t and that’s big because even if the Flames wanted to buyout Neal after this season, the penalty would be something like $1.9m. Secondly, Neal doesn’t have an NMC, so the Flames don’t need to protect him in the expansion draft and they can also bury him in the minors if they thought he was hurting the team.

Eh, when the expansion draft comes around for Edmonton, their GM probably won't even remember who they gave up. They'll probably just think they forgot to sign someone :laugh:

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
How refreshing, someone who knows what they are talking about and doesn't do shallow, clueless hot takes. How very unHF. Karlsson is, frankly, what I've always thought him to be, perhaps a touch better at actually connecting passes rather than moving the puck toward the goal than I realized. San Jose's system isn't designed to score the most goals in the league, it's designed to score more goals than the other team.

That said he is surely being cramped a bit by having Burns on the same squad having a stellar year. Karlsson's dropoff isn't really due to his play, at least the adjustment doesn't account for all of the change in results. It's due to his situation.
I'll defer to your judgement but I think it's fair to say that the Karlsson trade has gone about as poorly as it could have thus far. Having Burns and Karlsson has been like buying a nice hat and putting it on top of the nice hat you're already wearing.

But I don't count out the Sharks and actually hope they turn it around and become the force that they should be.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Those who mention Karlsson clearly haven’t watched enough Sharks games to make that judgment. Marc-Edouard Vlasic has easily been the most disappointing player on San Jose and it’s not even close.

Prsut18

Jul 30, 2018
CZ
I remember reading after the preseason, that Darling is ready to prove he is a true starter... maybe I got the leagues wrong

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
I think Barzal not playing behind Tavares and facing tougher lineups on top of having a new coach with more defensive responsibilities has really effected his play this year.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
We are roughly 30 games or just under into the season or a third of year.

So who do you think is the most underperforming player in the league this season?
Relative to expectations at the start of the year

My vote is James Neal
Every highlight package involving Calgary shows them potting goals left right and center.
So much so they are 4th in league scoring.
This is all while their prized UFA signing James Neal has 6 points (3G and 3A) and is 15th on the team in scoring while being the 4th highest paid player.
I saw this coming from a mile away with Neal

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
I think Barzal not playing behind Tavares and facing tougher lineups on top of having a new coach with more defensive responsibilities has really effected his play this year.
Barzal actually had tougher matchups last year.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
For the Bruins:

Marchand has been uncharacteristically poor of late.

After three straight mid 30's goal seasons, he's on pace for 21G and 70P. 1G in his last 11 games, when the team desperately needs him to step up.

Heinen has also been...not great. 47 points in first full season, he'll be lucky to break 20 at the rate he's going right now.

Last edited:

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
I feel Boeser has been a bust so far this year. I was expecting more from him.

It's difficult to judge because he's been so banged up with injuries. He was starting to look good with Pettersson, but then got injured again after a 4 point game.

I'm willing to give him a bit of time to get up to speed.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Why is anyone surprised Barzal ha taken a step back? That was so obviously going to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad