Most underperforming player (30 game mark)

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
He got votes, they just don't show up on HR … pretty sure he ended up 6th in the voting

Yeah, I was pretty sure of that too, but when I checked hockey-reference he was not on the list (which I thought was crazy, because Gibson is an amazing goalie).

It appears that the site is actually just missing him from the table, it jumps from 5th place to 7th place.

EDIT: Had to ninja edit my post, so I don't look too foolish!

Reactions: Getz2perry

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Mhmm I’m sure all my fellow Leaf fans have watched a ton of Islanders games to come to that conclusion. :laugh:

Barzal has been outstanding when I’ve seen him. Last night, there was a shift where he must have had the puck on his stick in the offensive end for 45 seconds, repeatedly generating chances before recovering the puck himself. I think his “poor” stats can be largely explained by how the Islanders’ PP has been garbage at finishing. He has only 9 PPP in 26 games; Matthews, for example, has 8 in half as many games.

Hold up, NOW suddenly 5v5 scoring is important?

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
That might be true but Neal also has been a negative impact player on offence and defence this year, while Karlsson has like a 60% Corsi right now.

I expect Neal's points and goals to increase but his impact on the game itself isn't good right now.

Oh I agree, he’s pretty much invisible out there.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
James Neal is looking like a contract worse than Lucic. Lucic actually fights and gets into the dirty areas, Neal floats and floats.

Ek looks good to me, he is not the center piece of an entire teams offense like he was in Ottawa which has brought his numbers back to earth.
James Neal has been a big disappointment. There’s no disputing that.

But James Neal’s contract is absolutely not worse than Lucic’s contract. Many Oiler fans will like to post this to make themselves feel better about Lucic. But fact is, Lucic has a buyproof contract, Neal doesn’t and that’s big because even if the Flames wanted to buyout Neal after this season, the penalty would be something like $1.9m. Secondly, Neal doesn’t have an NMC, so the Flames don’t need to protect him in the expansion draft and they can also bury him in the minors if they thought he was hurting the team.

Reactions: HugginThePost

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
James Neal is definitely under performing. I liked the signing because the Flames needed a guy who can shoot. He's shot 4%. I actually don't think he's been as bad as his 6pts on the year would suggest but he certainly hasn't been good or even adequate so far. He's also averaging 2:30TOI less than his career average and doesn't really have any linemates that can consistently set him up. Not really sure why Peters is so reluctant to play him with a 60 assist playmaking wizard like Gaudreau but the top line has been really good so if it's not broke don't fix it.

His play hasn't really hurt the team other than the odd bad penalty so it's not like they need him to get going right away, but eventually things are going to start going in for him. He's more insurance in case of injury and should provide some nice depth scoring down the stretch/in the playoffs. JVR only has 4 pts(been injured) so it's not like that signing is paying dividends either.

Reactions: StarvinArvin38

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
James Neal is looking like a contract worse than Lucic. Lucic actually fights and gets into the dirty areas, Neal floats and floats.

Ek looks good to me, he is not the center piece of an entire teams offense like he was in Ottawa which has brought his numbers back to earth.

What?

Lucic costs more, has a buy-out proof contract and in his past 80 games (so including going back to last year) still has less goals than Neal has just this year. Neal, while only having 6 points also has more than Lucic and plays on line 3, not line 1/2.

But rationalize Lucic's WOAT contract anyway you want.

Posters can say Neal has shit stats, there is no arguing it. But he isn't playing poorly out there most nights and is doing everything but score.

StarvinArvyn33

Jun 18, 2010
Yesterday
James Neal is definitely under performing. I liked the signing because the Flames needed a guy who can shoot. He's shot 4%. I actually don't think he's been as bad as his 6pts on the year would suggest but he certainly hasn't been good or even adequate so far. He's also averaging 2:30TOI less than his career average and doesn't really have any linemates that can consistently set him up. Not really sure why Peters is so reluctant to play him with a 60 assist playmaking wizard like Gaudreau but the top line has been really good so if it's not broke don't fix it.

His play hasn't really hurt the team other than the odd bad penalty so it's not like they need him to get going right away, but eventually things are going to start going in for him. He's more insurance in case of injury and should provide some nice depth scoring down the stretch/in the playoffs. JVR only has 4 pts(been injured) so it's not like that signing is paying dividends either.

Won't lie didn't read whole text....

But Still can't get over the Neal/Hornqvist trade from NASH....

Hornqvist is a gamer...

Neal is slick, sure...but Hornqvist has that grit/clutchness... which Neal lacks I'd say.

Reactions: POVERTY

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad