Most successful captain of the modern era

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
The Pens lost in the finals to a really good Detroit Red Wings team and have won every final they’ve been to since. Calling that a mental breakdown and then ignoring all of the hardware Crosby has won Winning a Hart or a Ross doesnt make a player a better leader. How is this lost to you and Pokemon boy here? Individual accomplishments doesnt = being a good captain , as well as the thirteen straight playoff appearances Crosby willed them to the playoffs now? when discussing which captain has had the most success makes you sound clearly biased and not genuinely open to the discussion.

I already posted numerous instances of Sid acting like a clown prior to Sochi and made no mention of 08 being the reason he was a punk, keep up with the conversation. There was the constant diving, cheap shots, eomotional temper tantrums in philly, montreal, boston,etc in the playoffs. Heading into Sochi no one saw him as a great leader let alone a successful one there is a reason he openly needed Toews blessing since no one saw him as a good captain and him even becoming captain was pure media driven and not based on actual merit. There is a reason why players constantly harped on him for being a diving diva he wasnt much of a captain.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

Captain intangibles being to how to be... intangible.

When you can only name one instance to the multiple Sid has thats a tell tale sign you dont have much of an argument. Sid has more emotional temper tantrums from this series alone than Toews ever had.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
It's Crosby because I'm counting his 2014 Olympic Captaincy and 2016 World Cup.

LOL at President Trophy btw.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Successful is clearly Toews or Crosby and Presidents' Trophies can just be ignored as they're either a prelude to the real goal or a disappointment over falling short.

I don't mean to diminish the difficulty in having the best record in the NHL in a given season, but there isn't a single fan, player, or coach alive that wouldn't gladly trade a phenomenally successful regular season without a Cup for a marginal season that ended with a Cup victory 100 times out of a 100.

Last edited:
Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Successful is clearly Toews or Crosby and Presidents' Trophies can just be ignored as they're either a prelude to the he real goal or a disappointment over falling short.

I don't mean to diminish the difficulty in having the best record in the NHL in a given season, but there isn't a single fan, player, or coach alive that wouldn't gladly trade a phenomenally successful regular season without a Cup for a marginal season that ended with a Cup victory 100 times out of a 100.
:devdance: :cool:

Penguin Suited Up

Dec 26, 2017
I already posted numerous instances of Sid acting like a clown prior to Sochi and made no mention of 08 being the reason he was a punk, keep up with the conversation. There was the constant diving, cheap shots, eomotional temper tantrums in philly, montreal, boston,etc in the playoffs. Heading into Sochi no one saw him as a great leader let alone a successful one there is a reason he openly needed Toews blessing since no one saw him as a good captain and him even becoming captain was pure media driven and not based on actual merit. There is a reason why players constantly harped on him for being a diving diva he wasnt much of a captain.
I don’t know whether you’re a Crosby hater or a Toews lover, but it’s really hard to have a rational discussion with whatever it is you’re spewing.

Reactions: huntison

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
“Heading into Sochi no one saw him as a great leader”, was thennamed captain of the Canadian Olympic team for the Sochi games.

I guess he just named himself captain and everyone just miraculously went along with it, despite it being the biggest tournament in a long time.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
“Heading into Sochi no one saw him as a great leader”, was thennamed captain of the Canadian Olympic team for the Sochi games.

I guess he just named himself captain and everyone just miraculously went along with it, despite it being the biggest tournament in a long time.

He needed to get approval from Toews for that very reason even in 2014 he was still being told by players to cut the diving.

Geoist

May 1, 2015
Being a captain on the most successful team doesn't automatically make you the best captain, or even necessarily a good captain.

Last edited:

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Being a captain on the most successful team doesn't automatically make you the best captain, or even necessarily a good captain.
No, but it makes you the most successful captain, which is what th thread is asking. There’s no real way to determine who’s “the best”.

Geoist

May 1, 2015
No, but it makes you the most successful captain, which is what th thread is asking. There’s no real way to determine who’s “the best”.

I understand that. Some posters seem to be arguing from the POV 'success=best'. My comment was really directed to those posters, not the OP.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
this is me and my 68 yrs of being a hockey fan.

for me and what i have been able to piece together. for me the 2 best captains ever is and belong to the Bhawks. #1 is Terry Ruskowski ..... to much to put here. he was really the gopher for the team when players was being traded of acquired, being a driver for the newbies and letting them sleep in his family spare room esp the rookies.

the next one is Dirk Graham. alla Rusko way of helping and embracing the players.

at this time circa late 1970 early 1980 and the Bhawks have not won a SC during this time.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
then what did an extremely young hockey player showed to be name captain ?? the Bhawks did not have their success at the time so what will your answer be ??

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The fact that

a) Both Team Canada and Crosby himself wanted to clear it with Toews before Crosby got the C in 2014

b) Luongo, speaking on a TSN panel, spoke about the 2014 Olympics and how it was Toews that really took control of the room

Make me lean towards Toews.

I mean, on a team full of Captains, he commanded the most respect. That says something.

But both those things happened in 2014. It's 2019. It's been awhile.

I'd say Crosby and Toews are 1a and 1b

Last edited:

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
It's an incredible phenomenon to watch but the moment you name drop Sidney Crosby in a thread, the average intelligence in that thread drops exponentially. We've covered whining, cheapshots, and unearned Conn Smythe trophies so far... but I don't see anything on secondary assists. I'm disappointed!

Anyway, it's Crosby over Toews here but it's pretty close. They're equal in Cups but Sid has the edge by having captained Canada to the Gold in 2014 (regardless of whether or not he "had to ask Toews", lmao) and an extra Finals experience in 2008. If you look beyond the hardware, context is also in Sid's favor, as he was more integral to the success of his team than Toews. Chicago was stacked, while Pittsburgh has won Cups without their top defense pairing or secondary scoring (in the case of 2009). I do think that's a factor, as I don't think you'll find many people who would say that Pittsburgh's rosters were superior to some of the super teams Chicago was icing.

The fact that

a) Both Team Canada and Crosby himself wanted to clear it with Toews before Crosby got the C in 2014

b) Luongo, speaking on a TSN panel, spoke about the 2014 Olympics and how it was Toews that really took control of the room

Make me lean towards Toews.

I mean, on a team full of Captains, he commanded the most respect. That says something.

But both those things happened in 2014. It's 2019. It's been awhile.

I'd say Crosby and Toews are 1a and 1b
If Team Canada had decided to go with Toews, they would have "cleared it" with Crosby, as well. Both guys are the two best leaders in the sport, as acknowledged by their peers, and both are major factors in the leadership group. But that was not a case of Team Canada asking Toews for "permission" or anything like that. The idea that the best player of his generation would have to ask the team's third line center if he could be the captain is just ridiculous to me. It was a sign of respect that I can guarantee you was Sid's idea, which speaks volumes about his character and leadership right there.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad