Most successful captain of the modern era

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Let's look at the most successful (team awards) NHL captains in post-lockout era. If Ovechkin win one more Cup, can anyone touch him in next five/ten/twenty years? McDavid?

Team # Presidents' Trophies + Stanley Cups Captain
Chicago Blackhawks 4Jonathan Toews
Washington Capitals 4Alexander Ovechkin
Detroit Red Wings 3Nicklas Lidstrom
Pittsburgh Penguins 3Sidney Crosby
Boston Bruins 2Zdeno Chára
Los Angeles Kings 2Dustin Brown
Vancouver Canucks 2Henrik Sedin
Carolina Hurricanes 1Rod Brind'Amour
Anaheim Ducks 1Scott Niedermayer
Buffalo Sabres 1-
San Jose Sharks 1Patrick Marleau
New York Rangers 1Ryan McDonagh
Nashville Predators 1Roman Josi
Tampa Bay Lightning 1Steven Stamkos
Calgary Flames 0-
Dallas Stars 0-
New York Islanders 0-
Edmonton Oilers 0-
Ottawa Senators 0-
Philadelphia Flyers 0-
St. Louis Blues 0-
Columbus Blue Jackets 0-
New Jersey Devils 0-
Florida Panthers 0-
Montreal Canadiens 0-
Toronto Maple Leafs 0-
Arizona Coyotes 0-
Colorado Avalanche 0-
Minnesota Wild 0-
Winnipeg Jets 0-
Vegas Golden Knights 0-
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah, I don't think much of this metric. I honestly like both Ovechkin and Crosby. But Crosby's 3 Cups > Ovechkin's 1 Cup + 3 Presidents trophies.

In terms of team accolades alone, I would suspect even Caps fans would agree with that.

Reactions: kladorf2005

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Between Crosby and Toews. I would lean towards Crosby since his team has been at the top for longer, same number of cups and Crosby has been to the finals one more time. No one really cares about the president trophy, as a fan of the team that recently won it I can honestly say even just an appearance in the finals (without winning) is better than a president's trophy followed by a choke.

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
I'd support Presidents' Trophy as a good measure of a captain's success, even if fans do not care as much about the award.
Motivating the team for consistent effort over 82 games is hard, and that's the bigger part of a captain's job. Teams don't select captains just for playoffs.
It is possible for a deserving team to exit playoffs early because of a couple of unlucky OT bounces, running into a hot goalie, someone taking a random high-stick/delay-of-game penalty late in the game, etc. Not reaching SCF is often a thing of chance.
Winning a Presidents' Trophy is never a thing of chance though.

JustinCase

Dec 1, 2018
Ontario
I'll go with Crosby. He was named Captain in 2007, and since then his team has not missed the playoffs for 13 straight seasons.
The next closest teams are Washington and Nashville at 5 consecutive seasons.
In 2009 Crosby was the youngest captain ever to hoist the Stanley Cup.

In addition he has captained team Canada at the World Juniors, World Cup, and Olympics.

He's got the best resume in the modern era.

Reactions: kladorf2005

Clatartar

Dec 28, 2014
BB14344A-F5EE-4727-B0C7-635D2CE1A385.jpeg
Hmm

Kreegz2

Dec 11, 2011
There was a lockout in 1994. The post lockout era started with the abbreviated 1995 season. Scott Stevens was the most successful captain in that timeframe. I believe the term you were looking for is "Salary Cap Era"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad