Most successful captain of the modern era

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
If Team Canada had decided to go with Toews, they would have "cleared it" with Crosby, as well. Both guys are the two best leaders in the sport, as acknowledged by their peers, and both are major factors in the leadership group. But that was not a case of Team Canada asking Toews for "permission" or anything like that. The idea that the best player of his generation would have to ask the team's third line center if he could be the captain is just ridiculous to me. It was a sign of respect that I can guarantee you was Sid's idea, which speaks volumes about his character and leadership right there.

It's a little weird to call the C that received the most TOI on the team the 3rd line center, but ok.

The idea that they would have cleared it with Crosby if the situation were reversed is an interesting counter-factual that's unprovable one way or the other. Although given your certainty Team Canada had nothing to do with it, perhaps you're an insider that worked with Hockey Canada?

It may very well have been Crosby that led the charge on getting Toews ok for the C. Good for him. If that's the case, it certainly speaks to the regard Crosby holds Toews in, if nothing else.

Or it could have been a political move. Lord knows Crosby doesn't want to enter a room feeling like half the guys in there feel a different guy should be the one wearing the letter.

Either way, whether it was a Team Canada mandate, or something Crosby felt motivated to do by personal honor or political gain, it speaks to Toews' respect as a leader.

Ultimately, the way Luongo tells it, it didn't matter. Even with an A instead of a C, Toews was the guy taking charge of the room. Which makes sense. Putting a C on your chest doesn't magically make you a leader. Being a leader makes you the reasonable choice for receiving the C. Crosby was a natural leader before he received the C in Pittsburgh, likewise for Toews in Chicago. They didn't get the C and magically become capable of leading a room. A slice of fabric doesn't have that ability.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What kind of valid discussion can be had when Presidents' trophies are seen on par with winning the Cup?

I mean, Stamkos is getting raked over the coals because he's captaining a Presidents' trophy team to a potential first round loss in a sweep. Yet according to the OP, Tampa's regular season should put him on par with any captain of a Cup winner.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
I see crosby asking toews blessing to be named captain of the olympics as more of just a show that they have tons of mutual respect for eachother. No reason to twist it to make it mean that toews is a better leader or something. Just that crosby thought it important to give a nod to Toews, and obviously Jonny wasnt going to say no.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
It's a little weird to call the C that received the most TOI on the team the 3rd line center, but ok.

The idea that they would have cleared it with Crosby if the situation were reversed is an interesting counter-factual that's unprovable one way or the other. Although given your certainty Team Canada had nothing to do with it, perhaps you're an insider that worked with Hockey Canada?
I cannot see Team Canada or Mike Babcock telling Sidney Crosby he's going to get the 'C' but he has to check with Captain Serious first if it's okay. That's, quite frankly, ridiculous and I don't need to be a Hockey Canada insider to see what really happened. And I'm not sure where you're getting this from... Babcock said himself that it was Crosby who wanted Toews' blessing.. the media just ran with it and distorted it as Crosby "asking for permission". Toews himself even claimed that Sid asked Weber, as well. IMO, Crosby was always Team Canada's guy and Toews even said as much ("I think everyone knows that Sidney was the guy..."). This is somewhat like when Gretzky says the stars of today are all better than him but, in reality, it's his almost sickening Canadian politeness getting in the way, while everyone knows the truth. Crosby never had to approach Toews and would have never gone into that conversation thinking that Toews' blessing was the only thing that stood between himself and the captaincy. He did it as a gesture of respect and I think it says even more about Crosby than it does Toews.

I think you're twisting this situation to serve the agenda that Toews is the better leader, when this was really a bunch of overly-polite Canadian hockey players trying to be too courteous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad