Most overrated prospect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
In other words prospects who take time to develop before making their teams. Ergo any prospect who doesn't play in the NHL within 2 seasons of being drafted but is still highly regarded must be overrated?

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
RNH is overrated by Oilers fans but underrated by the rest of the league.

Larsson is overrated by everybody, except fans of the 3 teams that didn't pick him.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
-RNH
-David Runblad
-Brayden Schenn
-Jacob Markstrom
-Cody Hodgson
-Ryan Johansen
-Vlad Tarenshenko
-Nazem Kadri
-Nino Niederreiter

I am a leaf fan and think that Kadri is overrated. he was picked 7th overall and he will be lucky if he makes the team this year. even his coach and GM do not like him as it was plan as day last year when they sent him back "to learn how to play hockey"

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Hodgson is one of the most overrated and over-hyped prospects in NHL history.

Alphacat

Sep 1, 2011
New York
Nino Niederreiter. His stock rose far too much and is really overhyped by Isles fans. He is also playing on a highly skilled line and team for that matter.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Kadri is MASSIVELY underrated by the fans who aren't Leafs fans.

I've seen the kid play a bunch of times, I don't think he's very good. Nobody would even be talking about him if he wasn't a prospect for the Leafs.

I find it kind of funny that RNH is at the top of the list. There are people calling him a future star, but the kid did go #1 overall so that's not an unfair expectation. Personally I don't expect him to make the Oilers right away and I'm not the only one that thinks that. I don't really feel comfortable saying any kid that's JUST been drafted is overrated. That's way too premature and unfair.

Kid's like Nino, Hodgson, Kadri, etc seem overrated to me. I keep hearing they're going to be stars only to watch them go back to the CHL or spend time in the AHL. I know prospects need to be developed but calm down on the star talk until they actually stick in the league.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
I've seen the kid play a bunch of times, I don't think he's very good. Nobody would even be talking about him if he wasn't a prospect for the Leafs.

He didn't go 7th overall for nothing, it's because he's good, we would still talk a lot about him if he was another team property.

He has an awesome vision, amazing hands, good skater, very mobile, decent shot, good hockey sense, has a nice drive, etc. He's got a lot of very solid attributs.

Edmontonoil

Nov 7, 2009
Edmonton
Why the hell is rnh overrated by oilers fans? Just because there is alot of hype over the #1 pick doesn't mean he is overrated

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa

If he wasn't a prospect of the Leafs, he'd be a prospect of the Sens and we'd be hyping him just as much because Murray wanted him, and you know Murray knows a thing or two about drafts.

At this point all you can ask in a prospect is continue to get better and we've seen flashes of Kadri being a really good player so I don't think he's overrated at all.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
As a Leafs fan, who has seen Kadri.

He is over rated, he's not going to be a 70 point winger in this league imo, and thats what the boards are pegging him as.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Mikael Granlund by those that see him, but underrated by those that don't.

As Wild fans we're excited about Granlund that he's going to be our next big star and that he has a huge ceiling but I think some of the hype has gotten way, way overboard by some people that have watched him.

On the other hand, people who don't realize why he is special underrate his game.

RedBaronIndian

Jul 9, 2010
As a fan of a team that has no horse in this race, it has to be RNH, mainly by some Edmonton fans on hfboards. "What is the beef with RNH" thread was jumping the shark moment for me.

The worst part is I like Edmonton and want their rebuild to succeed, but those fans are doing their very best to drive me away from that team.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Chris Kreider
Jakob Silfverberg
Nikita Filatov
Mattias Tedenby

+1

Except for Silfverberg, I'm not convinced the others will hit their potential and most likely be shuffled around the league (ala Kyle Wellwood, Patrick O'Sullivan, Rob Schremp)

The Hodgson + Kadri hype has died down. OTOH the B.Schenn hype is a bit much for a supposed 2C. Yeah, I love prospects and all, but realistically only few hit their potential.

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
I don't think Silfverberg is overrated at all, you rarely see Sens fans praise him like a Stamkos/Tavares or even other people mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad