Most overrated prospect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
What? Hall didn't even score 50 goals as a late birth prospect. If Landeskog scored 50 goals, combined with him already being likely the best forward prospect that year defensively, and all the intangilbes we heard so much about.

I don't really see what your getting at. Landeskogs high ankle sprain hurt his stats which is why he didn't get much hype and people said he was a Brown/Morrow type player.

he was a plus 26 how does that give him the best forward prospect? He did not score 50 we said if he was not hurt he may have. This is why players get "most overrated prospect" the year before he was a 0 in plus and minus. he got draft as high as he did because he was a late birthday he would of been 3rd or 4th round draft pick in 1992.

Fearless Leaf*

Not going to go into every details but this will pretty much sum up how overrated he is.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=36119123

According to Wild fans he is a sure-fire franchise player whose value would be worth that of top 30 players in NHL. I doubt they would trade him Zibanejad + Cowan +.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is overrated just because he was compared to Gretzky. If he was so good than he would not have gotten an 8.5C at HF, he would have overshadowed Couturier at the beginning of the year, he would have been the consensus number one pick for more than a year, and there would be no hesitation between who the Oilers were going to pick at draft day. Nobody knew that it was RNH until they called his name. Then with the fourth overall pick the Devs got Larson and people called that a steal, at fourth overall we commited robbery.

His vision was said to be the best since Gretzky. That's not comparing him to Gretzky, as a) they're only talking about his vision out of everything, and b) they're saying it's the best since (i.e. worse than) Gretzky. Oilers fans and non-Oilers fans alike are running with that quote and twisting it to fit their arguments about why he's over- or under- rated.

By the way, everyone knew it was going to be RNH. He was the consensus #1. The only question was on HF, where people figured that since Edmonton lacked a blue-chip franchise d-man prospect, they might take Larsson.

Larsson is a sick pick at 4th overall, but there must be a reason he fell that far. People have stated that it's due to organizational need, but no GM is going to pass up on a Larsson for Hub/Lando IF Larsson's as good as you think he is.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Not going to go into every details but this will pretty much sum up how overrated he is.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=36119123

According to Wild fans he is a sure-fire franchise player whose value would be worth that of top 30 players in NHL. I doubt they would trade him Zibanejad + Cowan +.

No, there is a difference between his actual value if Minnesota wanted to trade him and his perceived value. Everyone knows he isn't worth a top 30 player but that's what it would take.

He's not a sure-fire franchise player but he's the most dynamic player we've had in years.

svartgul

Hata Löven
May 9, 2007
Beyond the Infinite
www.northpower.nu
Rundblad is a PMD and is sorta of poor defensively, but that could change with experience. Erixon was the best all around guy on the team.

In the Playoffs, sorta but debatable (Among D's). During the regular season, not even close to true.

Yes but you don't have to say Erixon is a whole tier below them when he's played as good as them last year.

Larsson and Erixon both was probably more than a tier below Rundblad for most of the regular season. No player in the SEL dominated like Rundblad did.

Speaking of the playoffs, Rundblad didn't just started to suck for no reason, he was THE player the other teams focused the most to shut down offensively, they gave him no time and space which gave Erixon/Larsson more room to excel. Against Luleå Rundblad had two players attacking him pretty much all the time. You're also extremely wrong about Erixon's consistency, just find any interview with Erixon and he will continually say "the second half of the season" is what he's proud of. He struggled quite a bit in the first half and had to earn icetime beside Larsson. You just seem to make up the facts about these players, almost nothing you've written in this thread is accurate and you've written quite a bit.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
How is Hodgson overrated... Everyone has pegged him as a bust

I for one think his development was done right and he was able to adapt to the league as a 20 year old and again this year, rather than rushing him in.

The reason HF has given up on him is because he isn't a huge prospect now because people focus on hype rather than what is needed for proper development

I'd say Gudbranson

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Mean-spirited thread that won't end well.
Have to agree with that. First I deleted all the posts that basically just gave names without anything to back it up. And the posts that were just sniping between fanbases. Then I realized I'll just have to keep doing the same thing every day until I close the thread. So I'll just close it now.

If you think a prospect is overrated... well, I'll tell you what, there is probably a thread on this board already for every prospect of any significance. Go there and tell us why he's overrated. Or if it's too outdated, start a new one. *Discuss* the prospect, with specific reference to why that player may be "overrated".

:p:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->