Most overrated prospect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
It depends on how you define better. Each of them was given a role to fulfil, and they all performed it very well. Rundblad and Erixon got more PP time, and were encouraged to play aggressively. Larsson was used as a shutdown defenceman and he did fine in that role.

Rundblad was definitely better last year, Erixon I'm not so sure, believe me I saw a lot of their games last year and I'm not a guy that's easily impressed by point totals. Larsson was also really impressive last year, he did his role admirably well and I'm really jealous of you guys for getting him. Larsson will be a better all-round player without a doubt, but Rundblad will be an offensive dynamo, so it's really a question of preferance with these two, I prefer Larsson but it's close.

xking23

Petersson
Jun 22, 2009
Peterborough
I thought it was Rundblad.
Rundblad was the star during the season, come playoff time, whether it was due to injury, or just sheer tiredness, maybe just struggle in performance Rundblad seemed to step down as the go-to-guy and Larsson took his spot. Larsson was given a shut down role during the season and played it really well, and he already had an offensive game.

That being said the most overrated prospects IMO are RNH, Schenn, Kadri, and as a sens fan I have to say Rundblad due to others expectations for his rookie year. Sens fans seem to be expecting him not to make the roster until Christmas, and maybe put up 20 points this season.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Rundblad was definitely better last year, Erixon I'm not so sure, believe me I saw a lot of their games last year and I'm not a guy that's easily impressed by point totals. Larsson was also really impressive last year, he did his role admirably well and I'm really jealous of you guys for getting him. Larsson will be a better all-round player without a doubt, but Rundblad will be an offensive dynamo, so it's really a question of preferance with these two, I prefer Larsson but it's close.

thanks for the honesty. All three of them will be good, but it looks like Larsson and Rundblad will be in a different tier than Erixon

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Also I'm not sure where people got the impression that Tedenby is overhyped. I rarely hear about fans of other teams overrating him, and even Devils fans usually temper their expectations for him. He has a lot to overcome, but with his speed, hands, and work ethic, we think he can be a reliable top 6 forward.

space321

May 11, 2011
lolwut?

These threads never make any sense to me. RNH is over-rated becauseeee... why? He's the most recent 1st overall pick, of course people are going to be talking about the kid! It's not like people are saying how he's going to go out and score 40+ goals in his first season, or some crap like that.

I see sens fans saying Silfverberg is on Eberle's level. If that's not overrating, I dunno what is?

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
I see sens fans saying Silfverberg is on Eberle's level. If that's not overrating, I dunno what is?

I think I can say for most Sens fans that we don't think this.

On an OP note, threads like this never make any sense. None of you guys know anything about other teams' prospects (at least the ones who people would consider to be "overrated").

Very stupid idea for a thread indeed.

xking23

Petersson
Jun 22, 2009
Peterborough

I hate when one thread makes a prospect overrated. Especially when every point against Siflverberg was proven wrong. I'm sure 99% of the posts in that thread were saying He COULD be better in the future (mainly due to Alfredsson like shot comparisons made by the media) No one would say he is better now. Just as a prospect he is on that tier of potential first line player, most likely second. (Like been said in that thread, many people don't see Eberle as a first line star. More like a second line star, or a solid first liner, but not a first line star [Kesler on the wing type of deal])

Fairenough

Jan 4, 2010
Québec
I've seen the kid play a bunch of times, I don't think he's very good. Nobody would even be talking about him if he wasn't a prospect for the Leafs.

I find it kind of funny that RNH is at the top of the list. There are people calling him a future star, but the kid did go #1 overall so that's not an unfair expectation. Personally I don't expect him to make the Oilers right away and I'm not the only one that thinks that. I don't really feel comfortable saying any kid that's JUST been drafted is overrated. That's way too premature and unfair.

Kid's like Nino, Hodgson, Kadri, etc seem overrated to me. I keep hearing they're going to be stars only to watch them go back to the CHL or spend time in the AHL. I know prospects need to be developed but calm down on the star talk until they actually stick in the league.

You do realize that Niederreiter is still 18 years old, right?

richardsequalscup*

Thomas Hickey to this day. He will never be overrated enough. What a stupid pick. Said it then, said it the year after and so on and so on. Worse than the Jessiman pick.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
You do realize that Niederreiter is still 18 years old, right?

He has played two years in the WHL and has played 120 games with only 130 points that is not alot for a top Prospect. he is a 1992 not a 1993 so will be 19 before the season starts in fact in 4 days

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I agree, Johanson has a great 2 way game with offensive upside. To the OP, all he's pretty much doing is listing the best prospects in the game. He' saying every prospect is overrated which is pretty dumb. The only prospect i think is overrated is Kadri and RNH, not saying that RNH isnt going to be a great player but some oiler fans are pegging him as the next comming of christ.

With comments like?

I have yet to say anyone say anything that would make anyone say something like this, just because a number of us aren't willing to say that he's garbage compared to other recent 1st overall picks shouldn't mean that we think that he'll be the next Gretzky or even Crosby. If that line of thinking = me thinking that he's the second coming then guilty as charged I suppose.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
No dopey. Tim Erixon didn't have to be rushed into the league at 18 because the Flames unlike the Devils, actually had real defenseman. When you have nobody worth squat on defense like the Devils have, you have to rush defenseman. Essentially, other than Volchenko, the Devils use AHL defenseman.

What, are you jealous that the Devils got Larsson or something? Or are you taking shot at Devils management? At least we don't overpay for a 20 point offensive dman.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
Cody Hodgson. He's been considered a top prospect for years now and hasn't established himself.

He was drafted in 2008. Lost a season in development due to injuries. And is earning his dues in the minors as there isn't a real roster spot on the Canucks.

Usually most top tier teams don't have super star prospects jumping right in after at the draft or even the season after the draft. When was the last time Detroit tossed a 19 year old forward into their top 6? Hodgson is a center. He needs to develop as a center and he's not going to do that playing 4th line center minutes in Vancouver behind Sedin and Kesler.

Sure Canucks fans like what he brings. Of all other Canuck prospects he is the best simply because he has all the tools to be the best. And only really needs to improve his skating - which is a fairly important ability for a top 6 center to have. As one of the top teams in the league I think the Canucks can afford the patience with him.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I'd definitely agree with Rundblad and Schenn being overrated. I'll also throw Landeskog into the mix.

Don't think Johansen is overrated at all. I'd actually go the other way and say he's underrated. Best prospect in hockey besides RNH imo.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is overrated just because he was compared to Gretzky. If he was so good than he would not have gotten an 8.5C at HF, he would have overshadowed Couturier at the beginning of the year, he would have been the consensus number one pick for more than a year, and there would be no hesitation between who the Oilers were going to pick at draft day. Nobody knew that it was RNH until they called his name. Then with the fourth overall pick the Devs got Larson and people called that a steal, at fourth overall we commited robbery.

Manny*

Brayden Schenn. Never been too impressed with the kid, but I'd love for him to prove me wrong.

Pucklington

Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is overrated just because he was compared to Gretzky. If he was so good than he would not have gotten an 8.5C at HF, he would have overshadowed Couturier at the beginning of the year, he would have been the consensus number one pick for more than a year, and there would be no hesitation between who the Oilers were going to pick at draft day. Nobody knew that it was RNH until they called his name. Then with the fourth overall pick the Devs got Larson and people called that a steal, at fourth overall we commited robbery.

Comments like this are proof RNH is being underrated if anything, and Larsson is getting overrated. BTW HF may have given RNH a 8.5C, but every scouting agency that matters has RNH > Larsson.

Last edited:

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
I'd definitely agree with Rundblad and Schenn being overrated. I'll also throw Landeskog into the mix.

Don't think Johansen is overrated at all. I'd actually go the other way and say he's underrated. Best prospect in hockey besides RNH imo.

I rarely hear anything about Landeskog... Compared to RNH and Larsson he's kind of underrated

Kershaw

Really? Filatov who everyone assumes will bust and Silfverberg who is never mentioned outside the Sens forum..

There was a poll for Filatov against Loktionov, a player who's been a a PPG AHL player and he still won. The majority of the voters were Sens fans falling into the hype and kool-aid. People ignore that he's a headcase and was shipped off for a 3rd, but somehow he'll automatically turn it around. I don't buy it.

Silfverberg was ranked on par with Eberle but a couple of Senators fans, and one even mentioned him as a Loui Eriksson with a better shot. If that's not being overrated than I don't know what is.

Pucklington

Mar 24, 2008
Köln
I rarely hear anything about Landeskog... Compared to RNH and Larsson he's kind of underrated

I agree with you on this. He is the most likely player to reach his potential. I think this is because he is pegged to be a guaranteed 2nd liner that may end up being a decent 1st liner.

Kershaw

:laugh:

No he wasn't Rundblad was. Larsson will be a special player without a doubt, big minute eater, guy that can play in all situations, just a all-round really good hockey player.

Rundblad is a PMD and is sorta of poor defensively, but that could change with experience. Erixon was the best all around guy on the team.

Kershaw

thanks for the honesty. All three of them will be good, but it looks like Larsson and Rundblad will be in a different tier than Erixon

There is one thing about hyping your own prospects, but don't downplay another to try and prove a point. Erixon was on par with the other two last year. He was a beast in the WJC and played on the World Championship team for Sweden. I think he'll end up being the best 2-way guy out of these three. But that being said, I'll take Larsson and Rundblad ahead of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->