Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOriginalSilf*

Chris Kreider
Jakob Silfverberg
Nikita Filatov
Mattias Tedenby

lolwut?

These threads never make any sense to me. RNH is over-rated becauseeee... why? He's the most recent 1st overall pick, of course people are going to be talking about the kid! It's not like people are saying how he's going to go out and score 40+ goals in his first season, or some crap like that.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
As a fan of a team that has no horse in this race, it has to be RNH, mainly by some Edmonton fans on hfboards. "What is the beef with RNH" thread was jumping the shark moment for me.

The worst part is I like Edmonton and want their rebuild to succeed, but those fans are doing their very best to drive me away from that team.

Not all Oilers fans are concerned about hyping prospects. I really like RNH but my expectations for him aren't that high. I don't expect him to play a full season in the NHL right away and I don't think I see a 100pt player in the future. I'm not ruling that out because I'd really like to see it happen, but I don't think it's realistic.

TheOriginalSilf*

David Rundblad

I can see players like Kadri, or Hodgson as players that are over-rated because they simply haven't done anything significant to warrant their hype lately.

But, Rundblad? He just had a 50 point season in 55 games as a 20 year-old. That is the 2nd most points scored by a D-man in the entire history of the SEL (arguably, one of the top 3 leagues in the world). He's playing against full-grown men and is about to have his first season in the NHL this season (most likely).

I don't see how he's over-rated. Not even Sens fans are expecting grand point totals from him in his first season. But the season he just had in the SEL completely warrants the talk about him, as of late. Being excited for a player and over-rating a player are two very different things.

FlyLife

Nuthin but a G Thang
May 23, 2008
Livin the High Life
These threads never make any sense to me. RNH is over-rated becauseeee... why? He's the most recent 1st overall pick, of course people are going to be talking about the kid! It's not like people are saying how he's going to go out and score 40+ goals in his first season, or some crap like that.

When people are trying to say he has "Gretzky-like vision" and are quite literally crying when he's ranked behind two very good prospects in Tarasenko and Schenn...that's how the dude gets overrated. It's funny, I really liked the kid's game during the season, and still do, but some of these Edmonton fans are really starting to make me hate the guy.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
Markstrom for me. The guy is a very developed goalie for his age and that has allowed him to have a greater level of success than normal, but his natural talent is not anything other than normal for an NHL prospect goalie, and his already-refined game leaves less room for improvement than his current abilities would suggest.

I've only watched him a handful of times, but his hips seem stiff and his feet seem slow (by NHL starter standards). But Thomas Vokoun and Craig Anderson don't look to have a ton of the physical talents that you normally look for when you're scouting a goalie either. They get results though, so he could prove me wrong yet.

For those saying Schenn's name, is it a matter of a chink in the armor that you see, or that what people like about his game you just don't see as much of as they do? Let's not just give out names, let's support it with a little bit more of a detailed opinion too. That would make this thread more interesting IMO.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Markstrom for me. The guy is a very developed goalie for his age and that has allowed him to have a greater level of success than normal, but his natural talent is not anything other than normal for an NHL prospect goalie, and his already-refined game leaves less room for improvement than his current abilities would suggest.

I've only watched him a handful of times, but his hips seem stiff and his feet seem slow (by NHL starter standards). But Thomas Vokoun and Craig Anderson don't look to have a ton of the physical talents that you normally look for when you're scouting a goalie either. They get results though, so he could prove me wrong yet.

For those saying Schenn's name, is it a matter of a chink in the armor that you see, or that what people like about his game you just don't see as much of as they do? Let's not just give out names, let's support it with a little bit more of a detailed opinion too. That would make this thread more interesting IMO.

I don't see elite offensive upside in Schenn. IMO he will be a dynamite 2C or a below average 1C. That said the kid will be a player of that I have little doubt.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Ryan Johansen is in no way over rated. Underrated player for sure. This guys gonna be a star

Aznguy

Aug 5, 2011
Ryan Johansen is in no way over rated. Underrated player for sure. This guys gonna be a star
I agree, Johanson has a great 2 way game with offensive upside. To the OP, all he's pretty much doing is listing the best prospects in the game. He' saying every prospect is overrated which is pretty dumb. The only prospect i think is overrated is Kadri and RNH, not saying that RNH isnt going to be a great player but some oiler fans are pegging him as the next comming of christ.

KingBuzzo

A custom title.
Nov 3, 2010
Toronto
By the looks of it, Kadri is going to prove lot's of people wrong this year and many more years to follow.

The life of a scrub I guess.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
I suspect that this is more of a noisey minority issue. A few people pump prospects, and do so repeatedly. This give the impression that prospect X is over rated.

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
Kreider.
Colborne.
Knight.

Just a little curious here because all Ive ever seen is people saying he will be a bust or a 2nd liner at best. And thats from both Leaf and non leaf fans.

If Eberle can still be considered one Id like to throw his name into the ring. Also Kuznetsov and Tarasenko are vastly overrated.

Larsson is hyped the right amount. Hes a special player.

Not even commenting on RNH because we dont need another RNH pissing match thread

habs_24x

Sep 12, 2002
montreal
Visit site
People saying Brayden Schenn because of who he was traded for. I wouldnt be surprised to see Schenn play better than Richards in 2-3 years. OH, did i just overrate?

MPStoEberletoHall*

I love when people say RNH is overated.. Kid is going to be unreal. Have you heard what scouts say about this guy? RNH between Hall and Eberle in a few years will be the top line in the league.... thats not even counting the potential Hall-RNH-Yakopov line:naughty:

richardsequalscup*

Just a little curious here because all Ive ever seen is people saying he will be a bust or a 2nd liner at best. And thats from both Leaf and non leaf fans.

If Eberle can still be considered one Id like to throw his name into the ring. Also Kuznetsov and Tarasenko are vastly overrated.

Larsson is hyped the right amount. Hes a special player.

Not even commenting on RNH because we dont need another RNH pissing match thread

Larsson wasn't even the best young defenseman on his team. Erixon was. Fact.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
I can see players like Kadri, or Hodgson as players that are over-rated because they simply haven't done anything significant to warrant their hype lately.

Kadri has done a lot of thing to warrrant his hype. In his final year in OHL, he was amazingly dominant, a top 5 players in the league. And in the playoff of that year, he put 27 points in 12 games. Easily the best players of those playoff before getting eliminated. And this year, Kadri put a PPG as a 20 years old rookie in the AHL. That's very good. I think he deserves his hype.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
Remember when Hodgson was being compared to Stamkos and some people were saying he might go 1st overall if the draft was done again, because Stamkos was having a rough start to his NHL career and Hodgson was dominating the OHL :laugh:. Now that was overrated, don't know if he's really overrated anymore though.

My picks:

Chris Kreider: For such a highly touted prospect, he certainly doesn't have the numbers.

David Rundblad: I just don't see his game translating very well.

Emerson Etem: Just like Kreider, he can score off the rush well, but really doesn't have much of an offensive game while in the zone.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
this is your second troll attempt and your second fail....

There have been more than two, trust me.

:laugh:

No he wasn't Rundblad was. Larsson will be a special player without a doubt, big minute eater, guy that can play in all situations, just a all-round really good hockey player.

It depends on how you define better. Each of them was given a role to fulfil, and they all performed it very well. Rundblad and Erixon got more PP time, and were encouraged to play aggressively. Larsson was used as a shutdown defenceman and he did fine in that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad