Most Overrated and Underrated Players in the NHL?

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Some more: Josh Morrissey, Toby Rieder, Nick Dowd (never heard of the dude before this year but he always impresses me when I catch the Kings), Josh Anderson (same deal as Dowd), Nick Leddy.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
give it time. if I am not mistaken Karlsson doesn't even PK

Completely and totally mistaken, though likely completely intentional. You might want to, you know, do 10 seconds of research before posting a trash opinion. Just tonight he killed an entire lengthy 5 on 3 pk.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

You do know Keith and Doughty has played behind multiple cup winning teams, Karlsson doesnt have a team close to that infront of him. You cant compare players by using GF% lol

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
I am not quite sure why Karlsson is praised so much, he is good no doubt but the guy just could not play D

He is not praised much on HF - quite the opposite - and often as "well informed" as you initial post was. He is praised much more by people who, you know, do hockey for a living, as they just might have a little more insight into the game than an occasional viewer.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Underrated: Andy Greene

the fact that 3 pages have gone and no one has said his name proves it even more

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
You do know Keith and Doughty has played behind multiple cup winning teams, Karlsson doesnt have a team close to that infront of him. You cant compare players by using GF% lol

my point is basically that Karlsson is a good D-man hell even a great D-man; but there is no way in hell Karlsson is the best ever or even one of the best ever.....

We can throw in

Suter
Jossi
Subban

and then do comparables if you like

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
my point is basically that Karlsson is a good D-man hell even a great D-man; but there is no way in hell Karlsson is the best ever or even one of the best ever.....

We can throw in

Suter
Jossi
Subban

and then do comparables if you like

Those stats don't even come close to proving that.

And if he "can't play D" as you said, wouldn't his GF% be worse than "mediocre"? Disregarding the fact that he plays for a mediocre at best team while the other three played for contenders.

And it's a good thing you brought up Weber and Josi, two of the most overrated players in the entire league.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Andy Greene is massively underrated IMO. Everytime I catch a Devils game all I see is this guy that doesn't make a single mistake all night. He can do a bit of everything too.

I've never catched a game from Evander Kane that made me get the hype he has around here though.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Those stats don't even come close to proving that.

And if he "can't play D" as you said, wouldn't his GF% be worse than "mediocre"? Disregarding the fact that he plays for a mediocre at best team while the other three played for contenders.

And it's a good thing you brought up Weber and Josi, two of the most overrated players in the entire league.

First, if his GF% is fine being mediocre because he plays for a mediocre team then WHY should his CF% be used to sing his praises where CF% is also part of a team stat?

You cannot have the cake and eat it too. I am not up for debate on this one. If GF% is not good enough to be used then CF% should not be used in defending that player.

P.S. When Bruins won the cup they did not have superstars in their line up.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
MaxPac and JvR can end up being rather absurdly underrated here by folks who frequent the Trades & Rumors board because they get offered a lot in trade proposals, and while their trade value is relatively low (as it is for scoring wingers), that has no impact whatsoever on their on-ice value (which remains in good shape - even for MaxPac, despite the dubious season he's had so far).

Folks just keep assuming there's something fundamentally wrong with those players as they come up so often, but that's not it at all. It's just fans recognizing that wingers are more readily replaceable and thus trying to offer their guy as "something of value" figuring that they'll get a Good Enough guy afterward - and forgetting that that very replaceability brings down their guy's trade value and thus undermines their goal.

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
Andy Greene is massively underrated IMO. Everytime I catch a Devils game all I see is this guy that doesn't make a single mistake all night. He can do a bit of everything too.

I've never catched a game from Evander Kane that made me get the hype he has around here though.

Andy Greene is solid. Great player.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Viktor Aarvidson looks really really good.

PAP has always been a pretty underrated player. Even by the league for the fact that the Islanders waived him for nothing.

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
Agree with Arvidsson, that guy's great. I think Monohan is overated but he's also having an aweful year so it's hard to judge. Eberle isn't very good anymore but I think most people think that.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Personally I rate every player just right, spot on. So I have no such rating problems :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad