Most overhyped prospects in recent memory?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
World Juniors leads to a lot of this

Nobody benefited from hype from the WJC more than Lawson Crouse

McDavid made the team as an under-aged prospect, the only other guy? Was Lawson Crouse completely out of nowhere. No Marner, no strome.

Guy was on the 4th line with Nick Richie and Freddy Goat, and they were the PERFECT 4th line.
That WJC team never lost a game, and never trailed once.

Plhe lived off that hype into his draft spot.

Reactions: DaveG and Chainshot

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I'm sure someone probably said something - this is a message board with a lot of Leafs fans - but I don't recall anyone, ever saying anything remotely close to this. There certainly was some optimism among the majority as he had speed and a good release but again, in my recollection, no one was suggesting he was going to be a star, never mind top his brother's numbers.

Maybe we just have a different definition of "many"?
I do remember Leafs hyping him up as a superior player/prospect than Cole Caufield. As people have mentioned it before, the guy is unlucky and could have a decent career but his hype was quite insane.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Scouting Combine.

He literally went 15th overall after not being on Central Scouting’s watch list.

Also, keep in mind the 2015 class was correctly considered near-historic in terms of depth.

Still doesn't answer the question. The fact he was picked 15th is after the fact. I don't remember anyone talking about him other than Bruins fans.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
World Juniors leads to a lot of this

Nobody benefited from hype from the WJC more than Lawson Crouse

McDavid made the team as an under-aged prospect, the only other guy? Was Lawson Crouse completely out of nowhere. No Marner, no strome.

Guy was on the 4th line with Nick Richie and Freddy Goat, and they were the PERFECT 4th line.
That WJC team never lost a game, and never trailed once.

Plhe lived off that hype into his draft spot.

Crouse was great at the Hlinka, was Kingston’s best player, and doubled his P/G in the second half. Fronts were overmatched in the playoffs but he was doing it all at both ends. The WJC probably had very little to do with where he was drafted.

Reactions: DaveG and lawrence

Cenzhin

Mar 2, 2018
Calgary
Scouting Combine.

He literally went 15th overall after not being on Central Scouting’s watch list.

Also, keep in mind the 2015 class was correctly considered near-historic in terms of depth.
That sounds like Boston's management overhyped him, not the media. The only time I heard about him post-draft was about how Boston could've gotten Barzal or Connor instead of him.

Reactions: MS

lawrence

May 19, 2012
now it really seems like we are going after some players who are guilty of not making it but was drafted in a 1st round, like cman guys.

but over hyped? I recall a guy by the name of Kirill Kabanov. was a top 10 talent, LOL his agent stuck his name in the same sentence of a Kovalchuk. top 5 talent in the 2010 draft. poor attitude and personality and now he's playing in Denmark.

Reactions: DaveG

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Crouse was great at the Hlinka, was Kingston’s best player, and doubled his P/G in the second half. Fronts were overmatched in the playoffs but he was doing it all at both ends. The WJC probably had very little to do with where he was drafted.

They kept talking about on the TSN draft feed about how impressive his world juniors was

So yeah it did have an impact

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Still doesn't answer the question. The fact he was picked 15th is after the fact. I don't remember anyone talking about him other than Bruins fans.

No offense, but you probably weren’t paying as much attention as people who covered that draft on an hourly basis. Kyle Woodlief got on the bandwagon in January and the Soo were a powerhouse with tons of eyeballs on them.

Like I already said, his Combine ramped up the hype train AKA “Rapid second half development”.

Also up front, we know a few teams drafting late in the first are intrigued by the size/skating combination and rapid second half development of Zach Senyshyn. He has all the measurables, drive and passion, and really began putting it all together in the Ontario Hockey League..

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
In 1997, on these boards, there was a prospect named Adam Colagiacomo who was rated as a sure-thing, probably a really good pick to make late in the first, early in the second. Based on what I read here, I was disappointed when my Habs didn't pick him at #37.

He was supposed to be the next Keith Tkachuk or John Leclair or some such nonsense. He went in the 4th round and never scored more than 11 goals in the highest professionnal level he reached, the AHL.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
They kept talking about on the TSN draft feed about how impressive his world juniors was

So yeah it did have an impact

lol the TSN crew cites the WJC because it’s the only viewing they see haha. People who watch the OHL religiously knew Crouse was an R1 candidate. Only knock was his skating. Was given an A by CSB on the watch list — four months before the WJC. He went 5th overall in the 2013 OHL Priority Selection. Crouse had been hyped years before the 2015 WJC.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
lol the TSN crew cites the WJC because it’s the only viewing they see haha. People who watch the OHL religiously knew Crouse was an R1 candidate. Only knock was his skating. Was given an A by CSB on the watch list — four months before the WJC. He went 5th overall in the 2013 OHL Priority Selection. Crouse had been hyped years before the 2015 WJC.

LOL Peter Harling lives in Kingston for crying out loud
“He had a breakout performance with Team Canada at the World Junior Championships playing on a line with Nick Paul and Frederik Gauthier mainly. The line was dominant in possession of the puck and on the forecheck, while providing the best defensive option for Canada and contributing offense as well”

NHL CS
“He protects the puck well and is strong on his skates. Fearless and has the size to skate through anything that gets in his path, he showed immense versatility by playing a fourth-line energy role for Canada at the 2015 WJC”

So what is it? Nobody cared about about eh WJC
Spare me

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
LOL Peter Harling lives in Kingston for crying out loud
“He had a breakout performance with Team Canada at the World Junior Championships playing on a line with Nick Paul and Frederik Gauthier mainly. The line was dominant in possession of the puck and on the forecheck, while providing the best defensive option for Canada and contributing offense as well”

NHL CS
“He protects the puck well and is strong on his skates. Fearless and has the size to skate through anything that gets in his path, he showed immense versatility by playing a fourth-line energy role for Canada at the 2015 WJC”

So what is it? Nobody cared about about eh WJC
Spare me

Don’t put words in my mouth. My exact words were “The WJC probably had very little to do with where he was drafted”

You, however, said:

“Nobody benefited from hype from the WJC more than Lawson Crouse”

That’s one hell of a statement.

What’s closer to reality is that If Crouse shits the bed in the second half, a fourth-line role at the WJC probably isn’t getting him drafted top-15 in a historic class .The WJC certainly helped, but if you watched his second half, you’d be more impressed with his league play.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
LOL one hell of statement that it had little to do considering it’s literally talked about LOLOL

Central Scouting and nearly every reputable scouting agency had Crouse in R1 before the WJC.

ISS had him 9th OA in November. Guess they foresaw a great WJC

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Tuomo Ruutu had insane hype back in the day. I remember someone calling him the best prospect in all of Europe
Dunno if we'll ever know his true potential, poor guy had a ton of injuries just as he was starting out in the NHL. He scored that amazing goal in the 2004 World Cup Final against a stacked Canada roster, so that hype was somewhat justified.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Juolevi was on a stacked OHL team that won the memorial cup in his draft year.

When did I say he wasn’t?
Or is that too difficult to grasp?

Then please explain how a consensus top-15 preseason pick (TSN had him 4th OA in September, BTW) with a great second half for Kingston only used the WJC to get overhyped and eventually drafted 11th overall

Again, you said “Nobody benefited from hype from the WJC more than Lawson Crouse”

I mean, The WJC dates back to the mid-1970s. You must keep copious amounts of game notes lol.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Then please explain how a consensus top-15 preseason pick (TSN had him 4th OA in September, BTW) with a great second half for Kingston only used the WJC to get overhyped and eventually drafted 11th overall

Again, you said “Nobody benefited from hype from the WJC more than Lawson Crouse”

I mean, The WJC dates back to the mid-1970s. You must keep copious amounts of game notes lol.

Damn you must have notes from every GM in 2015 seeing as it mattered so little

#insideralert
LOLOL
they just passed those draft notes right to you
If it matter so little I wonder why Tallon was at them?

Interesting

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
In 1997, on these boards, there was a prospect named Adam Colagiacomo who was rated as a sure-thing, probably a really good pick to make late in the first, early in the second. Based on what I read here, I was disappointed when my Habs didn't pick him at #37.

He was supposed to be the next Keith Tkachuk or John Leclair or some such nonsense. He went in the 4th round and never scored more than 11 goals in the highest professionnal level he reached, the AHL.

1709017132800.png

I still have a Colagiacomo card that I'm hoping will be worth something. Colagiacomo entered that draft year as a possible top 10 pick. He led Team Canada in scoring (on a line with Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau) at the 1997 Pacific Cup (precursor to the Hlinka Gretzky).

He didn't show post better numbers during his draft year which partially caused his slide. I've read accounts that scouts/teams figured that he had physically matured early and perhaps there wasn't much more untapped upside.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Damn for the world juniors mattering so little in the eyes of GM’s, I wonder why GM’s up.

Kind of defeats the purpose

Listen, if Crouse was mid-level or obscure and was Team Canada’s version of Parker Ford, I’d believe it. The WJC probably got Juolevi ahead of Chychrun and Sergachev. In Crouse’s case, he was already heading towards a legitimate top-10 selection, as many outlets had him top-10 all along and right into the draft.

Rantanen had almost a carbon-copy draft season for TPS — A-rated in preseason, average 1st half, great WJC, great second half. Was he overhyped? Nope. People just acknowledged he had a great tournament, but if you watched his league play, you’d clearly see why he was hyped.

I just think you used a bad example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad