Most overhyped prospects in recent memory?

MikeyS

Aug 28, 2023
I was recently wondering what that big forward Detroit played at the beginning of last year that got a ton of hype was up to, only to see Elmer Soderblom was having a middling season in the AHL after playing 20 games in the NHL last season while garnering a ton of media attention in the process.

It made me wonder, what other prospects have gotten unjust media attention, or hype in recent years. Guys that maybe wern’t busts but didn’t live up to how people talked about them before they made the show.

Another recent guy that I think fits this bill is Arber Xhekaj, he got a ton of media attention when he made the show as an undrafted rookie out of juniors, but he has done nothing but be a staple to the Canadiens third pair while being a defensive liability.

would love to hear your input on this Topic!

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I’ll chime in here, Nick Robertson.

At one point in time, it was almost insane how hyped he was by Leaf fans, especially around here. Many Leaf fans were convinced he was better than his brother - Jason Robertson.

Now injury’s haven’t helped but at one point the hype and attention around him was INSANE.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
At one point in time Ethan Bear was thought to be untouchable and I couldn’t understand why. I guess the Oilers hadn’t developed a legit player past the first round in so long, when they finally had one in Bear they overhyped the living shit out of him.

Erik Brannstrom was thought to be the next Erik Karlsson by many (including me). He’s a serviceable player, but nowhere near Erik Karlsson lol

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Casey Mittelstadt was at one point considered the best drafted prospect outside of the NHL. Both Button and the Athletic writers (Pronman) had him ranked number 1 on lists. I wrote an article in 2016/2017 comparing him and Ryan Poehling (born 40 days apart) about how they were closer in projection than most people realized and to expect middle six production from Mittelstadt not top 6... I got over 200 comments on it and nearly everyone disagreed with me because Mittelstadt was going to be so good.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Casey Mittelstadt was at one point considered the best drafted prospect outside of the NHL. Both Button and the Athletic writers (Pronman) had him ranked number 1 on lists. I wrote an article in 2016/2017 comparing him and Ryan Poehling (born 40 days apart) about how they were closer in projection than most people realized and to expect middle six production from Mittelstadt not top 6... I got over 200 comments on it and nearly everyone disagreed with me because Mittelstadt was going to be so good.

Maybe it was the take that he and Poehling weren't close? Poehling has fewer points in his entire career than Mittelstadt had last season.

But coming out of the WJC's, Mittelstadt was having his tires pumped way, way too much for someone who wasn't doing those things against collegiate players while at Minnesota. It's similar to how Comtois was hyped coming off his U20's or even going back a ways, Jordan Eberle. Success at that tournament often gets players over exposed and way over hyped.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I’ll chime in here, Nick Robertson.

At one point in time, it was almost insane how hyped he was by Leaf fans, especially around here. Many Leaf fans were convinced he was better than his brother - Jason Robertson.

Now injury’s haven’t helped but at one point the hype and attention around him was INSANE.
The people saying that were wrong but Robertson is a good player who could still turn into a 60+ point guy with more ice time. He’s been very productive for his TOI. Overhyped would be someone like Nolan Patrick.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
To be fair, Casey is leading his team in scoring and looks every bit a top 6 player with two way skill. But he was at one point the top prospect in some eyes

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
At one point in time Ethan Bear was thought to be untouchable and I couldn’t understand why. I guess the Oilers hadn’t developed a legit player past the first round in so long, when they finally had one in Bear they overhyped the living shit out of him.

Erik Brannstrom was thought to be the next Erik Karlsson by many (including me). He’s a serviceable player, but nowhere near Erik Karlsson lol

I don’t remember anyone comparing Brännström to Karlsson. Brännström was compared to Kimmo Timonen quite frequently and he was never ranked very high by anyone.

Reactions: ESH

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Maybe it was the take that he and Poehling weren't close? Poehling has fewer points in his entire career than Mittelstadt had last season.

But coming out of the WJC's, Mittelstadt was having his tires pumped way, way too much for someone who wasn't doing those things against collegiate players while at Minnesota. It's similar to how Comtois was hyped coming off his U20's or even going back a ways, Jordan Eberle. Success at that tournament often gets players over exposed and way over hyped.
Prior to Poehling's Covid related 'motivation' issues, they were far off at all. Mittelstadt wasn't out competing Poehling by a wide margin prior, one was being talked about as a future top centre and the other was being talked about as a future 4th liner.

It was ridiculous to look at both and think 'Mittelstadt will be top liner and Poehling will be a 4th liner', the gap between them never was huge up until Covid.

In 2017, I projected Mittelstadt as a middle 6, I projected Poehling as a bottom 6.

The logic that Mittelstadt had made Ryan O Reilly expendable was bad then.

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
I was recently wondering what that big forward Detroit played at the beginning of last year that got a ton of hype was up to, only to see Elmer Soderblom was having a middling season in the AHL after playing 20 games in the NHL last season while garnering a ton of media attention in the process.

It made me wonder, what other prospects have gotten unjust media attention, or hype in recent years. Guys that maybe wern’t busts but didn’t live up to how people talked about them before they made the show.

Another recent guy that I think fits this bill is Arber Xhekaj, he got a ton of media attention when he made the show as an undrafted rookie out of juniors, but he has done nothing but be a staple to the Canadiens third pair while being a defensive liability.

Xhekaj is not overrated . Yes he was everywhere on the local media. A great story from a newcoming family in Canada.

He has the seize , mobility , heavy slap and wrister, fights heavyweights. He plays on our 2nd pairing now and he’s doing good.

He isn’t overrated. He has the impact of a 10-15th 1st round pick right now.

Everybody in Montreal cheered for him because he’s the 1st physical and mean player (that can also play hockey) we get since I watch hockey , which is at least 20 years.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Good call on Soderblom.

I'll say Patrik Laine was quite overhyped and was claimed to be the heir apparent to Ovechkin. They play nothing alike and for some reason Laine has peaked at age 19. I hope he gets back on track when he returns to the NHL.

Laine had some nice seasons in the NHL, though. Kakko on the other hand... I remember I made a poll Andrei Svechnikov vs Kakko, who was going to be the better player. Guess, who won.

Reactions: DaveG

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC

Habs fan chiming in, Xhekaj was never hyped for his play, but for his physicality. There's a reason he was called the Sheriff in junior, and he already made an impression as a great enforcer in his first season.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Laine had some nice seasons in the NHL, though. Kakko on the other hand... I remember I made a poll Andrei Svechnikov vs Kakko, who was going to be the better player. Guess, who won.
To be fair though Kakko did look like an excellent prospect and Svehchnikov hasn't developed into the star that I though he would become.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Good call on Soderblom.

I'll say Patrik Laine was quite overhyped and was claimed to be the heir apparent to Ovechkin. They play nothing alike and for some reason Laine has peaked at age 19. I hope he gets back on track when he returns to the NHL.

Agree, Laine has to be the most recently overhyped I can think of

Have you read the svechnikov/Marner thread? :laugh::help:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think the hype for Laine was very legit. His first few seasons you saw the potential of an elite NHL forward. Rarely do you see the current D+1 players come into the league and be an impact NHL'er right away, like he was. Pre-draft you saw it also.

His lack of success since doesn't mean he was overhyped, although I get the thought process. He hasn't lived up to the perception, but I don't think it's that he was overhyped. I think it has more do with he didn't have the mentality needed to reach his potential.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Agree, Laine has to be the most recently overhyped I can think of
I agree, I think he faltered because he has personal demons or confidence issues. Hopefully he gets past that and back to playing, when he was on he was fun to watch and does have elite talent

dr1234

Sep 1, 2022
Normally Habs and Leafs prospects get ridiculous hype that they don't deserve just because they have a huge fan base who likes to prop up every other prospect as a "steal" and "great pick". I'm talking about guys later in the first and second/third rounds of the draft.
A recent example of this is Mathias “Norrislinder” Norlinder haha. Always have to be careful calling an overage draft pick a steal.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I’d still trade for him. I think Buffalo botched his early development. There is still something there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad