Most overhyped prospects in recent memory?

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I was recently wondering what that big forward Detroit played at the beginning of last year that got a ton of hype was up to, only to see Elmer Soderblom was having a middling season in the AHL after playing 20 games in the NHL last season while garnering a ton of media attention in the process.

Those damn overhyped 6th round picks...

Reactions: Guadana

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Oh man the Leafs hype for Mathew Knies last year, he was the next big power forward since prime Eric Lindros.

idk where you guys get this stuff, he was always going to be a complimentary winger in the top 6 which is what he has been. Bigger guys usually don't hit the ground running and take more time, he's been fine as a rookie.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Dominant or record-setting draft seasons deserve hype. End of story

Zach Senyshyn was overhyped. Logan Stanley was overhyped. Liam Foudy definitely was overhyped. Philip Broberg was overhyped and he still is overhyped. Helge Grans was completely underserving of his draft-year rankings and his landing spot. Noel Gunler was loved by the stat nerds and they would not shut up about him, so mainstream rankings fell for it even though his SHL play was Tiger Woods soft. I drank the Jan Mysak Kool-Aid because Litvinov stunk and his P/60 was close to Necas’ in 2017, but clearly no longer a potential star as we assumed.

Nick Robertson was overhyped by Leafs fans after getting picked but he had a very good draft year for a mediocre team.

Broberg is the only guy there who was overhyped.

The rest are guys that nobody except die-hard draft watchers had even heard of.

Scouting Combine.

He literally went 15th overall after not being on Central Scouting’s watch list.

Also, keep in mind the 2015 class was correctly considered near-historic in terms of depth.

Senyshyn got little hype before the draft, one team lost their minds and took him 15th overall, and he’s universally been considered a terrible pick ever since.

There was a tiny bit of ‘oooh, maybe a dark horse very late 1st rounder’ there.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
idk where you guys get this stuff, he was always going to be a complimentary winger in the top 6 which is what he has been. Bigger guys usually don't hit the ground running and take more time, he's been fine as a rookie.
Listen, I'm a Habs fan but am not here to just bash the Leafs. The hype was huge last year regarding him being the next great NHL Power Forward. Many a fan were saying that Power Forwards are a dying breed in the NHL, and he was going to be the next really good one. Deep down I think Leafs fans are disappointed by his play this year based on the hype, heck Bobby McMann has 9 goals while Knies has 10...

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Listen, I'm a Habs fan but am not here to just bash the Leafs. The hype was huge last year regarding him being the next great NHL Power Forward. Many a fan were saying that Power Forwards are a dying breed in the NHL, and he was going to be the next really good one. Deep down I think Leafs fans are disappointed by his play this year based on the hype, heck Bobby McMann has 9 goals while Knies has 10...

I think it's fair to comment that fans could've hoped for a more explosive start but I don't think that makes him a candidate for a most overhyped prospect thread when he hasn't even finished his rookie year. And comparisons like prime Eric Lindros are obviously made up.

Reactions: Craig Ludwig

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Using Elmer Soderblom as a jumping off point for this thread is insane. He was drafted 159th overall in his draft year and I don't think even the most rose tinted glasses wearing Wings homer thought he'd ever be more than a middle 6 level player in the NHL. And he's only 22 years old.

Reactions: MS

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Kaapo Kakko. Some people were saying that he's as good as Hughes. Kakko 11 points in 39 games, Hughes 55 points in 43 games.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
I can't imagine Nick Robertson's hype was actually anything special unless you spent your time digging for Nick Robertson news and Leafs prospect depth. Not a high draft pick, not an ideal pro build.

Just compare him to how much Leafs Nation actually hyped up Matthew Knies.

Going to call bull on this one.

Yeah the insane Robertson takes were only there if you were looking for them. Everyone saw high upside goal scoring but he was also small.. His brother Jason wasn't as hyped.. because he didnt have crazy numbers. Jason took big steps and became a star immediately.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Yeah the insane Robertson takes were only there if you were looking for them. Everyone saw high upside goal scoring but he was also small.. His brother Jason wasn't as hyped.. because he didnt have crazy numbers. Jason took big steps and became a star immediately.

I see what you did there

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Broberg is the only guy there who was overhyped.

The rest are guys that nobody except die-hard draft watchers had even heard of.

Senyshyn got little hype before the draft, one team lost their minds and took him 15th overall, and he’s universally been considered a terrible pick ever since.

There was a tiny bit of ‘oooh, maybe a dark horse very late 1st rounder’ there.

Most prospect writers are considered media and do these things called rankings and mock drafts as early as July or August and they'll write about draft prospects so the general public has an idea of who'll go where at the annual draft. Sometimes they rank players based on scouts they quote, which can create a hype train (surprise, surprise).

The OP was asking "what other prospects have gotten unjust media attention, or hype in recent years"

Guess you're busy most of the year, but this is a prospect board with over a million posts and a snazzy search function if you feel the need to catch up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad