Most overhyped prospects in recent memory?

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
His early development was hampered by injuries more than anything else.

Owen Power will be on this list soon enough.
Power literally already has a moderately positive impact on the ice just because he's more transition oriented doesn't mean he's not making an impact ridiculous take to have because he isn't physical.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
None of what you said is true.

Eichel was very hyped, and considered maybe the best number 2 since Malkin, but not even his own mother wouldn't have argued for him over McDavid.

Like.

I was a very invested Sabres fan back then, and the most optimistic rose-colored glasses takes were “maybe he’s equal at some point for a bit I hope”. That was like 10% of the homer takes, no one else thought it was close except contrarians and talking heads.

Power literally already has a moderately positive impact on the ice just because he's more transition oriented doesn't mean he's not making an impact ridiculous take to have because he isn't physical.

I still wish a motherf***er would tell Power and Thompson to use their damn size. Power put his ass into someone the other night, I think, that was good to see.

Will be a fun career to watch. I am simultaneously pessimistic and optimistic regarding him, hoping your take is correct. Not the same level, style, or player, but kinda like E Karlsson in that he might be a bit polarizing. I hope the defense rounds out, but he has gaffs that look like the worst of Karlsson in SJ, but he also has a lot of quiet transition play that goes unnoticed by some.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Where did I mention he wasn't physical? The problem is he doesn't have 1 OA talent .. not even top 10 talent. And his contract is bad. That is why I believe he will be a candidate for overhyped prospect.

Reactions: Eegs

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Where did I mention he wasn't physical? The problem is he doesn't have 1 OA talent .. not even top 10 talent. And his contract is bad. That is why I believe he will be a candidate for overhyped prospect.
Maybe if his draft year was stacked it would be a logical argument he was expected to be a top pairing Dman and looks like he can easily be that. Problem is people think every no.1 pick had to be a franchise player.

Reactions: Chainshot

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
World Juniors leads to a lot of this

Nobody benefited from hype from the WJC more than Lawson Crouse

McDavid made the team as an under-aged prospect, the only other guy? Was Lawson Crouse completely out of nowhere. No Marner, no strome.

Guy was on the 4th line with Nick Richie and Freddy Goat, and they were the PERFECT 4th line.
That WJC team never lost a game, and never trailed once.

Plhe lived off that hype into his draft spot.

You say it like Lawson Crouse is a complete bust, but he isn't. Far, far from it.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Don't think I've seen him mentioned yet, and he's become a pretty solid middle 6er, but the hype train for Eeli Tolvanen after that first season in the KHL was pretty wild.

Honestly, he's about what people expected him to become, maybe a little bit lower, but really a little. Nobody expected him to become the next great Finn.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Power is a baby. When his man muscles come in, he will be a force, similar to Dahlin. Recent probably Laf. Zegras didn't start off overhyped or else I would say him.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I might be pushing it with the word “recent” but David Rundblad.

I recall there being pretty good surprise when the Blues traded him to Ottawa for the 16th pick in 2010 (used to take Tarasenko minutes later) and a year later Rundblad was heralded as the best prospect in hockey after putting up 50 pts in 55 games in the Elitserien and there were concerns Tarasenko would never leave Russia. He played 24 games for the Sens before being shipped off again. Defenseman that never learned to play defense good enough for the NHL.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Gilbert Brule had an insane amount of hype for a couple of seasons there. Injuries really ruined him.

As a Canucks fan, Cole Cassells at one point had a ton of hype. He shut down McDavid in the OHL playoffs afterall

I forgot about the Brule hype….

He definitely wins this thread. There was talk that he is equal to Crosby around the 05 draft.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I forgot about the Brule hype….

He definitely wins this thread. There was talk that he is equal to Crosby around the 05 draft.

One thing I remember was Crosby skipping the CHL Top Prospects game that year due to an injury. The game happened to be in Brule's home rink in Vancouver. So there were a few posters who claimed that Crosby was ducking Brule out of fear of being upstaged.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Dunno if we'll ever know his true potential, poor guy had a ton of injuries just as he was starting out in the NHL. He scored that amazing goal in the 2004 World Cup Final against a stacked Canada roster, so that hype was somewhat justified.
Beat me to it, when he came over he lived up to the hype. Despite being a smaller guy (6'0/200) he was easily capable of putting up 20+ goals and 50+ points in a season while hitting everything that moved and hitting them HARD. That's probably the biggest reason he didn't have lasting power. I'm pretty sure he had more seasons where he missed at least 1/4 the games that season than ones where he played more than 75% of the season.

Reactions: God

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well, there were your huge power forwards who weren't good enough to make it in the NHL, like Jason Bonsignore and Alex Stojanov, back when everyone had an erection for size.

Then you've got your finesse guys whose Junior moves don't work in the bigs and they don't have anything else to offer, like Angelo Esposito and Nikita Filatov.

"Filly don’t do rebounds.”

Reactions: DaveG

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Well, there were your huge power forwards who weren't good enough to make it in the NHL, like Jason Bonsignore and Alex Stojanov, back when everyone had an erection for size.

Then you've got your finesse guys whose Junior moves don't work in the bigs and they don't have anything else to offer, like Angelo Esposito and Nikita Filatov.

"Filly don’t do rebounds.”
Pretty sure Esposito was carried by Radulov in 2005-06, his production quickly declined to reasonable levels once Radulov left, and then Esposito dealt with injuries at the end of his junior career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad