Most Mediocre Player In The League

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I'll have to disagree. Cogs is a great shutdown, forechecker and penalty killer.

Hes also on one of the best 2-way lines in the league.

Cogliano/kesler/silfverberg.

There is nothing mediocre about cogliano. He is very good at his job.

Yeah, if Cogs is mediocre, then I'd for us to add another four or five mediocre forwards like him to our lineup.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
:laugh:

Came here to say this. OP basically described Flynn. He doesn't hurt a team, but he doesn't help much either. He is the living embodiment of being ok.

I'm still peeved we gave flynn away for a 5th.

Not that he's great, but when the your team is rolling a 4th line of deslauriers-grant-moulson...

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Was expecting every reply to be Chris Higgins and am very diaaappointed.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Average > Mediocre

Not according to the players people keep suggesting in this thread...

A lot of people seem to be naming good players who don't quite compare to superstars and are thus "mediocre". I can't think of any other reason why some people seem to think solid 40-60p forwards with strong two-way game and no obvious weaknesses are 'mediocre' :)

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I don't know about the league but as I saw someone else say Danny Dekeyser is mediocre as ****. He's just an average skilled middle pair D man who is forced to play top pair minutes, poorly. Makes 5 mil a year to be a nothin.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Jussi Jokinen

The thing about Jussi is that his offensive hockey IQ is borderline elite, if not elite. This is why he is in the league. Yes, he might not shine one way or another, but I don't think of him as an example of "mediocre". He doesn't put up great points any more, nor is he a special force, but it's his IQ that puts him ahead of the curve in my opinion.

And to answer this thread... Christian Folin. Good size for a defenseman, good at protecting the crease, decent outlet pass, a powerful shot but not very accurate. He is exactly what you expect out of a 3rd pairing defenseman. Not bad, not good. And this is not a knock on the guy, he still has a chance to develop a little further. But out of the players I've actually watched and not just stat-watched this season, he jumped into my mind at first.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
The thing about Jussi is that his offensive hockey IQ is borderline elite, if not elite. This is why he is in the league. Yes, he might not shine one way or another, but I don't think of him as an example of "mediocre". He doesn't put up great points any more, nor is he a special force, but it's his IQ that puts him ahead of the curve in my opinion.

I know you're defending him but I think you're still selling him short :) His last three seasons he's scored 60, 44 and 57 points. So while not exactly lighting the league in fire, that's far from mediocre. Granted, he's having a slow season and seems on pace for < 40 but it seems he's been warming up a bit lately and might still go over 40. Having Barkov & Huberdeau back probably also helps. Besides, he's getting old, some of these veterans need for spring to come to get the sap running again.

Versatile forward with good two-way game, a steady 40+ scorer with an upside of 20-30g for 50-65p - and that's "mediocre" or even in the discussion? His toolset is not exceptional, but still better than mediocre IMO and it's very balanced and combined with his very good hockey IQ (and I'd like to add not only offensively) the end result is nowhere near mediocre.

But someone suggested Loui Eriksson as well... but since he's a Swede I won't go through the trouble of defending him, I'll just say that's even more ridiculous case than Jokinen :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad