Speculation: Most likely to sign an offer sheet?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Some evil GM could screw TB over if they offer sheet Kucherov, yeah. We're in a vulnerable position with our cap situation and we'd have a hard time matching. On top of that, Kucherov would very likely live up to the contract, even if you throw 7+ at him.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
New Jersey seems like the perfect candidate to OS Kucherov

NickLidstrom

Ottawa & Detroit fan
Dec 1, 2013
Umeå
Give him 7.3 X 4(which basically brings him to UFA status) if you really want to screw over Tampa. lol

This could be a really good move for a rival team that likely wouldn't trade with Tampa anyway. Maybe an offensively starved team in the east such as Carolina or NJ?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
with what cap space? :p

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/tampa-bay-lightning

They have plenty of cap space right now.

They have just under $13M of cap space.

The Hedman and Vasilevskiy deals don't kick in until next season.

Any OSs towards TB are just going to get matched and create some issues down the road and not actually get guys out of there.

If they can move Bishop for futures, they have almost $19M in cap space.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
They have just under $13M of cap space.

While that does seem like alot they have 5 players(3 RFA forwards, 1 RFA defense and probably 1 more depth defenseman) to sign including Kucherov. I am guessing Killhorn will be somewhat pricey as well. The argument will be Koekkoek call fill that depth defense spot, fair enough but that is 833k of capspace(which brings capspace under 12M with 4 guys).

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
While that does seem like alot they have 5 players(3 RFA forwards, 1 RFA defense and probably 1 more depth defenseman) to sign including Kucherov. I am guessing Killhorn will be somewhat pricey as well

They have work to do, but it's not like they are tight to the cap, is all.

They do have a lot of cap space to work with.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Give him 7.3 X 4(which basically brings him to UFA status) if you really want to screw over Tampa. lol

This is the type of malicious offersheet that if you want to scoop a player or even have a target on two of their young players (like the Hjarmm/Niemi) and you get at least one while hopefully the other team overpays for the guy they keep.
The 7.3 threshold is still under the 4x1sts? Keeping the contract under 5 years almost insures you won't hit that mark with high total salary number.
Barrie is another guy who is in a position where if a team was interested in him, you throw him a high contract for 1 of the RFA years he owes and hope Colorado won't match at that number due to the qualifying number the following summer like ROR. (Just shorter term)

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
Nichushkin? Heard he wasn't happy in Dallas

That was a no name Russian reporter who said Tractor would like to have him back in the KHL. The only other "report" on this subject was an interview he did right after getting benched.

There is nothing out there to suggest he isn't happy.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Why do people think Kucherov would want to sign an offer sheet instead of working out a deal with the Lightning?

I think Hoffman would be most likely to sign an offer sheet, or one of the defensemen (Barrie/Trouba). I really don't think Kucherov would.

valente317

Jun 4, 2014
Kucherov is the Lightning's best offensive player going forward. He is easily worth 7x7, though I believe he would sign with the Lightning for around 6. I do think you'd have to offer in the "4 1st rounders" compensation range for the Lightning to not match.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Why do people think Kucherov would want to sign an offer sheet instead of working out a deal with the Lightning?

I think Hoffman would be most likely to sign an offer sheet, or one of the defensemen (Barrie/Trouba). I really don't think Kucherov would.

Even if the Lightning matched, the other team would still be screwing us out of a very, very precious 1-2m. Very precious given our cap situation. Next year we need to give raises to Johnson, Palat, Drouin, and the new Hedman contract kicks in. That extra money on Kucherov could be the difference between keeping a guy like Garrison, maybe Killorn, maybe both. We're likely to lose somebody even if we don't wind up overpaying Kucherov. (Overpaying relative to what we're likely to sign him for, not in general; he would very likely live up to a Tarasenko-type contract.)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Hoffman I think, if the "offering" team actually offers interesting money+term, and he is also interested in joining them (he turns UFA at the end 16-17, right?). Though I'm saying that without being privy to any discussions/numbers.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I know this much:

If you sign a Tampa RFA, Yzerman's stare will cut you in half and he'll offer sheet every RFA from your team until the day he dies.

I have a feeling he won't have the cap space to be offer sheeting anyone.

Personally, I am not a fan of starting an offer sheet war with any teams.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Last I remember hearing it was 5.5 per for 5 years

Should Reilly Smith's contract not be the perfect marker here? Smith being more physical and better defensively, Hoffman providing more offensive skill. I think 5-5.5 would be fair, no?

Mad Brills*

Only offersheet would be mcdavid max.

They'll match, but it would force them to make cap moves elsewhere, and unable for a while to strike back

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Hoffman 5.5 for 5 years could be interesting. While Ottawa could have the cap space to match, Melnyk has his self imposed cap that limits his GM from doing as much as he'd like. So Hoffman could sign an offer sheet, Sens refuse to match and off he goes.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Hoffman 5.5 for 5 years could be interesting. While Ottawa could have the cap space to match, Melnyk has his self imposed cap that limits his GM from doing as much as he'd like. So Hoffman could sign an offer sheet, Sens refuse to match and off he goes.

Can players who file for arbitration still be offer sheeted?

Tomorrow is the deadline to file for arbitration and Hoffman is expected to file for it.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I predict that nobody will be successfully offersheeted. Just like last year and the year before that.

Wouldn't at all be surprised if most gms hate using offersheets.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I predict that nobody will be successfully offersheeted. Just like last year and the year before that.

Wouldn't at all be surprised if most gms hate using offersheets.

I fully agree there will not be a successful offer sheet as they're so rare. The better question is whether there will be an unsuccessful offer sheet signed that a team matches, we've seen that much more frequently.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I don't think Kucherov wants to leave TB. Palat and Johnson are two of his best friends. TB is a contender and he just saw his captain and best Dman take pay cuts to stay here. Also offer sheets are just bad karma. I think it's one of those unspoken rules for GMs. Don't touch our RFAs we won't touch yours.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad