Most dominating individual performance ever?

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Not talking best performance in an important game, or good performances in the most important of games... just best individual performance you've seen, regular season, playoffs, international or otherwise.

Before that, I was about to say Joe Malone's 44 goals in 20 games.

But Peter Forsberg scoring against Finland in World Championships quarter finals (can't remember the year, maybe 2003?) when Finland blew a 5-1 lead. That was spectacular. I can spot the moment from video when his eyes flashed "The hell with this. I'll go from there." goes around the whole Team Finland and scores a goal. It was like there even wasn't Team Finland on the ice.

Pavel Bure in Nagano semifinal is very close to the same level. The one thing I will always remember from Antero Mertaranta (Mr. Team Finland Announcer) saying is "Ja arvatkaapa kuka teki maalin?", or in English "And guess who just scored?" when Bure nets one of his five goals of the game.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Jean Sebastien Giguerre in 2003 shut out Minnesota for the first three games including a double overtime win in game 1 and in game four only let in 1 goal. One of the best goaltending I have seen in one series

for my money, the detroit series was even more impressive. four one goal games, letting in only six goals on 171 shots, against the defending champs rolling eight sure hall of famers, plus a young datsyuk and zetterberg. i don't think i've even seen roy or hasek dominate a series like that.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
Patrick Roy in 1993. Definitely the greatest playoff performance by a goalie ever. Being able to shut the door 10 times in a row in OT is phenomenal. There's a story where he told his teammates all they had to do was score because he wouldn't let in any goals.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Patrick Roy in 1993. Definitely the greatest playoff performance by a goalie ever. Being able to shut the door 10 times in a row in OT is phenomenal. There's a story where he told his teammates all they had to do was score because he wouldn't let in any goals.

Never a more deserving Conn Smythe winner. He was ridiculous. 3 time winner of that award. Best goalie I have ever seen.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
for my money, the detroit series was even more impressive. four one goal games, letting in only six goals on 171 shots, against the defending champs rolling eight sure hall of famers, plus a young datsyuk and zetterberg. i don't think i've even seen roy or hasek dominate a series like that.

I agree. I watched every game of the Minnesota series and Giguere had to face about 1 quality scoring chance a game. It was masterful work by his defense to keep Minnesota to the outside and "masterful" work by Jacques Lemaire to keep his own offense at bay. :laugh: Seriously though, Minnesota basically blew their wad against Vancouver and was basically spent in the Conference finals. While 1 goal in 4 games is mighty impressive on the stats sheet, I really wasn't that impressed watching it.

I thought Giguere was much more impressive against Detroit and Dallas.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Unfortunately I can't remember the year but Kazakhstan had a goalie that was incredible during a WC. Was about 6 or 7 years ago or something like that. Unfortunately, that team couldn't hit a barn. It was the same tournament when Mezin was stealing games. Ahh, my memory is not what it used to be.
Maybe you're thinking about Ukraine's Igor Karpenko? I remember the WJHC he played in, mid-90s somewhere.. the kid got absolutely bombed in shots but ended up being named the tournament's outstanding goaltender. Unbelievable performance on an otherwise helpless team.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
AFAIC, Gretzky from 81 to 88 is the most dominate era of performance by any athlete in the history of sport. 87 Canada being the peak. His 92 goal, 212 point season was just sick. 47 point playoffs was not too shabby, either.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
Mike Richter - 1996 World Cup
Dominik Hasek - 1998 Olympics

As for other sports, I'd say:

Michael Phelps' 8 gold medals in the 2008 summer Olympics

Usain Bolt's 100-meter run in Beijing and 200-meter run in the 2009 World Championships (watched the 9.58 100m run a day late so it doesn't really count)

Lionel Messi this spring. 8 goals in 3 games, 10 goals in 4 games, 11 goals in 5 games, 3 hat tricks in 3 weeks - take your pick.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
imo, very many of the games in which a player had many points were due in large part to bad D and/or bad goaltending, and so i don't like to think of those as dominant.

i have seen games where a player was more dominant in a 2p game than he was in a 5p game.

imo, dominating the play and being dangerous on every shift, or almost every shift is more difficult and more impressive than capitalizing on a few chances. that is not to say that capitalizing on scoring chances or being in good position to score is not a skill.

i recently watched game 6 of '94 ECF, but messier was not dominant, imo. NJ outplayed NYR for most of the game and richter kept the game close. messier was only prominent a few times, other than when he scored. brodeur should have stopped messier's BH, and should not have let out the rebound for messier's 2nd goal (and nicholls could have cleared the rebound). messier also had the EN goal and had an assist on kovalev's goal.

doug harvey was dominant in the only game i have seen of him. not defensively, but he was much better than everyone else on the ice in controlling the puck. also rushed the puck up ice with the F's a couple of times.

NHL put game 6 of the '94 NJ buffalo series on youtube. both goalies were dominant in that game.

unmentioned as yet is bernie parent. i have only seen a few games of his, but he was always very good (including with TML) and in the '74 playoffs, he was incredible.

agreed

minnesota had very few scoring chances, but detroit and dallas had many.

Before that, I was about to say Joe Malone's 44 goals in 20 games.

But Peter Forsberg scoring against Finland in World Championships quarter finals (can't remember the year, maybe 2003?) when Finland blew a 5-1 lead. That was spectacular. I can spot the moment from video when his eyes flashed "The hell with this. I'll go from there." goes around the whole Team Finland and scores a goal. It was like there even wasn't Team Finland on the ice.

Pavel Bure in Nagano semifinal is very close to the same level. The one thing I will always remember from Antero Mertaranta (Mr. Team Finland Announcer) saying is "Ja arvatkaapa kuka teki maalin?", or in English "And guess who just scored?" when Bure nets one of his five goals of the game.
if the hockey summary project is accurate, joe malone's '18 season is probably one of the most overrated in history.

according to HSP, malone scored 23 of his 44g in 7 games vs ottawa when nighbor was out of the lineup due to WW1.

when nighbor was in the lineup, malone scored 1g in 3 games.

Scott1980

Apr 27, 2010
Toronto
Some others that came to mind:

Sittler, 1976:

10 point game against Boston in Feb

5 goal playoff game against Philly in April

Overtime goal to win first Canada Cup in September

Joe Sakic every time the game went into overtime

Sam Lopresti's? The reason it is forgotten is that his team lost the game I believe. His son faced Sittler in the Canada Cup of '76, btw!

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
That goal was 1992. Pittsburgh swept Boston that time and Lemieux was absent for game 1 (as was Bourque) but toyed with the B's even worse than the year before (I've seen it on Classic Series, it's epic). The best NHL playoff performance, and therefore most important and best ever, is Lemieux in 1992: 15 games, 15 goals, 31 points and the final 7 fo which done with a barely healed broken bone in his hand after an Adam Graves slash.

(Skip to 1:09)

I smile when I see this video, because, although I'm not the Youtube submitter, I originally ripped and uploaded this from my Grandmother's VHS copy before Youtube was popular (...I used rapidshare).

This intro was a prelude to Game 1 of the '92 Finals vs. Chicago, which was one of the greatest of all Pens games. It featured a young Christina Aguilera singing the anthem, Jim Belushi hamming it up in the stands with Chicago up three goals, Jaromir Jagr tying it with his dipsy-doodle goal, and Lemieux sending Belushi home with a GWG at 19:54 of the third.

As for most dominating performance, I'll probably go with one of the other games she has on tape: Lemieux's five goals, three assists vs. Philadelphia in 1989. Second place, I think, goes to Lemieux's six points with Mats Naslund in the '88 all-star game.

Last edited:

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
As for most dominating performance, I'll probably go with one of the other games she has on tape: Lemieux's five goals, three assists vs. Philadelphia in 1989.

For me, this is it. I have this on DVD, it's my most cherished possession (For sports related things, at least :)). I've never seen Sittler's 10 point game, so this is easily the best performance I've ever seen. Unthinkable dominance from one man. I don't even see how Sittler's performance could be better, even if he did have 2 more points.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
For me, this is it. I have this on DVD, it's my most cherished possession (For sports related things, at least :)). I've never seen Sittler's 10 point game, so this is easily the best performance I've ever seen. Unthinkable dominance from one man. I don't even see how Sittler's performance could be better, even if he did have 2 more points.
if sittler had scored 10p on dryden instead of a goalie who played 14 games in his career, and who never played in the NHL after that game, it would be much better. or even if it had been on an average NHL goalie.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I came here to say this. What a clinic.

I agree here with Hasek in the 98 Olympics but one that might have been forgotten is Reggie "The Rifle" Leach's 5 goals while still totally drunk in the playoffs.

Clarke had him woken up and he just shot the puck 5 times.

Terrible waste of a career but he turned his life around after hockey a class guy.

Scott1980

Apr 27, 2010
Toronto
if sittler had scored 10p on dryden instead of a goalie who played 14 games in his career, and who never played in the NHL after that game, it would be much better. or even if it had been on an average NHL goalie.

OH! Thanks for reminding me. His 5 goal effort came in the playoffs against the two time defending Stanley Cup champion Flyers and likewise, two time Conn Smythe winner Bernie Parent!

You should have seen that forth goal!

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
I remember Ken Dryden's debut in 1970-71. Undefeated down the stretch, Smythe trophy . . . and then Rookie of the Year. You couldn't ask for a better start.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
how bout Eric Desjardin's hatrick in a 3-2 win over LA in game 2 of the 93 finals. He ties the game in the last minute, and then he wins it in OT to save the Habs from going down 2 games to 0 (they basically won the cup on that steal of a win). Sly Stallone couldn't have written it better.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: