Most dominating individual performance ever?

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Gilmour '93 Leafs.. I've never seen someone go to the well so often and come back with something left.

It took Wayne Gretzky playing his self described best game ever and a helping hand from Kerry Fraser to stop Doug that year.

Mario coming back from cancer treatment to win the scoring title and pick up Doug's Hart trophy was absolutely amazing too.

Gretzky for years was jaw dropping. He made extraordinary ordinary if that is even possible. '87 Canada Cup especially.. his will to win was even more impressive than his skill.

I'm sure more will come to me but those ones stick out because I watched a lot of hockey during those years.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Hard to think of an entire game rather than just one individual shift or play but one that has to be mentioned is Johan Franzen against the avalanche in the 4 game series or Sidney Crosby this year vs the sens. Those come to mind pretty quickly.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Hard to think of an entire game rather than just one individual shift or play but one that has to be mentioned is Johan Franzen against the avalanche in the 4 game series or Sidney Crosby this year vs the sens. Those come to mind pretty quickly.

Crosby put on a clinic in that first round vs. Ottawa. Especially Game (#4?) when he had 5 points I believe and just kept coming.

I guess if I were to pick one it would be Lemieux in the 1991 and 1992 playoffs. I am not sure if a guy has ever taken his game on an individual level quite that high. He was just simply tantalizing. Gretzky of course had his moments in the Oilers dynasty years. And has there ever been someone who was better in the international stage than what we saw of Gretzky in the 1987 Canada Cup?

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
And has there ever been someone who was better in the international stage than what we saw of Gretzky in the 1987 Canada Cup?

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if these games are online anywhere? I think I remember seeing a topic about how they've never been on DVD so I won't bother going down that route, but I'd really like to watch those games.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if these games are online anywhere? I think I remember seeing a topic about how they've never been on DVD so I won't bother going down that route, but I'd really like to watch those games.

Go on Google and you should find the 3-box VHS set of the three complete games. I have that personally, and it is a must to watch. I know the outcome of the games and Sergei Makarov STILL makes me nervous watching him play. And that Grant Fuhr................:handclap:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
1990-91 Eastern Conference finals:

With Boston leading the series 2-0, Mario Lemieux records 11 points over the next 4 games, all Pittsburgh victories, including that one goal where he made Ray Bourque look like some scrub AHL call-up.

BostonAJ

Jul 20, 2009
Southie

With Boston leading the series 2-0, Mario Lemieux records 11 points over the next 4 games, all Pittsburgh victories, including that one goal where he made Ray Bourque look like some scrub AHL call-up.

Heheh. I saw that series. Lemieux was off the charts. Watched a post retirement interview with Bourque and he mentioned that the media loves to bring up that moment with him. Every time he sees it, he has to turn away and give himself a facepalm.

Maybe the best I've seen was also from that season, again against the Bruins. Ron Tugnutt was in net for the Nordiques, who weren't very good that year. The Bruins outshot the Nords 73-26 in what should have been a romp, but only ended with a 3-3 tie. Tug was otherworldly that night. After the final buzzer Ray Bourque skated over to him and tapped his pads in amazement.

Here's the highlights. Bear in mind that it's the Bruins announcers that are being heard at the end, and you can see the Bruins fans giving him a standing ovation.

Hawksfan12*

Not the best ever but on of the most dominating post lockout was Buff in the PO's in Game 3 vs. Van this year

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland

Yes, they have. The DVD set is called "Blade Wars" (http://www.productwiki.com/blade-wars-canada-cup-1987-dvd-set/) and it has all 3 final games (regulation time of G2 edited a bit) plus an hour long highlight DVD of the tournament.

Now the bad news is that it seems to be out of stock everywhere...

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site

:laugh:

^^^ That's laughter of joy.

God, that brings back fond memories. For this hockey fan, that was as pure as on-ice greatness gets.

Among mere humans, Billy Smith, Game One, 1983 Stanley Cup Finals, was epic.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Jan Lasak (former Nashville) during semi-final game on World Championship against Swede. His "hand" in over-time is legendary here...

I watch game where Sergei Fedorov scored five goals in 5-4 over-time win over Washington. I know there are some five goals performances during history, but this was EPIC WIN.

Giguere in 2003 playoffs. Man, that was huge.

Dzurilla during Game 1 in final of 1976 Canada Cup.

Although his stats might not prove it, Keith Primeau in the 03-04 playoffs for the Flyers.
I remember it, he was awesome.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Tugnutts 70 saves night comes to mind.

Sittler scores 10 points vs. the Bruins.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Dzurilla during Game 1 in final of 1976 Canada Cup.

The game where he gave up 4 goals inside the first 18 minutes and was replaced after the 1st period? :naughty:

It was the round robin game where he shut out Team Canada and Czechoslovakia won 1-0.

habsjunkie2*

1993 Playoffs. Patrick Roy, with 10 consecutive OT playoff victories on route to the Stanley Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00