Most dominating individual performance ever?

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Giguere in 2003 playoffs, he was unreal.

I loved that first Kirk McLean post, 93 Roy, and of course Sittler, but it was (IMO) Giguere put on the best (and most consistant) Conn Smythe performances I've seen front to back.
Perfect positioning, virtually no rebounds...at all, and the ones that should've got away did not.

Bold said it all.

New argument, Giguere hall of fame material? I say yes. Osgood too.
(I don't want to hear anyone's regular season stats BS)

Last edited:

Tavaresmagicalplay*

I loved that first Kirk McLean post, 93 Roy, and of course Sittler, but it was (IMO) Giguere put on the best (and most consistant) Conn Smythe performances I've seen front to back.
Perfect positioning, virtually no rebounds...at all, and the ones that should've got away did not.

Bold said it all.

New argument, Giguere hall of fame material? I say yes. Osgood too.
(I don't want to hear anyone's regular season stats BS)
Gigueres only really had 1 good playoffs. The year he won the cup he didn't even get all his teams wins(yes I know it was due to his sons health but his performance was far from spectacular though he did have a solid season that year.) his performance had a lot to do with those ridiculous pads he had. It was still amazing but one playoff run isn't enough to get the guy in the hall.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Proberts '88 season was to me a dominate one. 29 goals and 398 PIM plus a very good playoff.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Proberts '88 season was to me a dominate one. 29 goals and 398 PIM plus a very good playoff.

That was really something.. showed you that if he had stayed clean in his personal life Probert had a lot of hockey to offer in addition to his fists.

I was just thinking of another one.. Mark Messier in the 84 finals against the Isles. He took that series by the throat.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
For me, the best performance I've seen is Arturs Irbe when he was playing goal for Carolina. I had taken the train out to Montreal for the day to see the Canes play the Habs (1999, I think). Irbe stopped 44 of 45 shots -many of them 'otherworldly', as BostonAJ would put it :) - to lead Carolina to a 3-1 win.

The funniest part was that Carolina only put up ten shots (with zero in the third period), a franchise low for shots-for for Hartford/Carolina, and for shots against for Montreal. The only reason they won that game was because they were given a nearly-two-minute-long 5-on-3, and scored twice.

Another fun fact about that game: Ray Sheppard was denied an empty-net goal because there was a player in the crease. :laugh:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Hmm, on the top of my head its hard to single something out. I remember Colorado's PP a while back at it absolute peek, thats probably the most domination I've seen in the NHL the last 15 years. That unit pwned for a while (Sakic, Forsberg, Ozo, Nolan/Deadmarsh and co), more so then other top PP units who might have been more effective in terms of %.

But to really pinpoint the question, I think the answear is to be find in the WJC's. There is just a bigger differnce between the best and the avg at that level.

IggyFan12

Jul 26, 2010
I have 2 the first is the most dominating performance ever the second is a very great performance:

1) Joe Sakic at the 2002 Olympic Gold Medal Game was out of this world! Simple one of the greatest moments in Canadian history, to play that good when it mattered most. Sakic ended up getting 2g and 2a in a 5-2 win for Canada. Sakic doesnt play I dont know if Canada wins. On a team filled with future Hall of Famers Sakic rose above them all and rightfully won MVP of the Olympics.
A side note: Is Sakic the only player to win MVP of the NHL season, Playoffs and Olympics?

2)Iginla in the 2004 first round game 7 against Vancouver.
Flames win their first playoff series since the cup and in game 7 OT. Iginla got both the Flames goals in regulation and would of gotten a third until a fan threw their jersey on the ice. The second goal he scores shows how soft his hands are a really amazing goal. Then if thats not enough he assists on the series winner and silences the GM crowd.

unknown33

Dec 8, 2009
Nowhere close to Lemieux, Tugnutt etc. but worth to be mentioned

Bure vs Finland 98 Olympics

Scott1980

Apr 27, 2010
Toronto
Probably Gretzky, and to be fair, Coffey as well vs Flyers.

After losing game one, Gretzky just went on a rampage.

Game 2: Goal

Game 3: Hattrick in the first period, plus an assist in the second period.

Game 4: 2 goals, including the GW

Game 5: Goal and three assists, including THE ASSIST, on a Paul Coffey goal

Flash Walken

May 10, 2005
Vancouver
2)Iginla in the 2004 first round game 7 against Vancouver.
Flames win their first playoff series since the cup and in game 7 OT. Iginla got both the Flames goals in regulation and would of gotten a third until a fan threw their jersey on the ice. The second goal he scores shows how soft his hands are a really amazing goal. Then if thats not enough he assists on the series winner and silences the GM crowd.

"Jarome Iginla tonight was a dominating player," Darryl Sutter, then Calgary’s coach and now the team’s general manager, said. "In my 25 years (in professional hockey), the game tonight was as dominating as I've seen one player in one game of playoff hockey."

The opposition agreed.

"In the end you have to compliment their superstar player," Canucks coach Marc Crawford said that night. "He showed up and was outstanding. That was as good a game as I've seen anybody play in my time."

IggyFan12

Jul 26, 2010
"Jarome Iginla tonight was a dominating player," Darryl Sutter, then Calgary’s coach and now the team’s general manager, said. "In my 25 years (in professional hockey), the game tonight was as dominating as I've seen one player in one game of playoff hockey."

The opposition agreed.

"In the end you have to compliment their superstar player," Canucks coach Marc Crawford said that night. "He showed up and was outstanding. That was as good a game as I've seen anybody play in my time."

I remember Sutter making those comments after the game, Iginla put on a clinic in that series.

Another one I can think of was Kipp in 04 against the Red Wings. When the series was tied 2-2 Kipper proceeded to not let in any more goals as the Flames won the next 2 games 1-0 with game 6 going into double O.T. Thats pretty impressive. I remember the media was all over Joseph for the Wings but there was little he could do.

Hab-a-maniac

Sep 28, 2003
Toronto via Calgary!
Visit site
1990-91 Eastern Conference finals:

With Boston leading the series 2-0, Mario Lemieux records 11 points over the next 4 games, all Pittsburgh victories, including that one goal where he made Ray Bourque look like some scrub AHL call-up.

That goal was 1992. Pittsburgh swept Boston that time and Lemieux was absent for game 1 (as was Bourque) but toyed with the B's even worse than the year before (I've seen it on Classic Series, it's epic). The best NHL playoff performance, and therefore most important and best ever, is Lemieux in 1992: 15 games, 15 goals, 31 points and the final 7 fo which done with a barely healed broken bone in his hand after an Adam Graves slash.

(Skip to 1:09)

Mike Krushelnyski

Mar 9, 2004
One of my fondest hockey memories was in one of Gretzky's last games in the league. Rangers vs. Canucks (of course it would be against his favourite team to beat on!) in Vancouver and Gretz put on an absolute clinic.

He scored four goals (not sure if he had any assists) with the last one just a thing of beauty. He pretty much went through the entire Canucks team starting from his side of centre ice, deked the pants of the tender who came out to challenge him who over committed and went sprawling way outside his crease, leaving the Great One to litterally walk around him, go around the net, and tuck the puck into an empty net.

What made it so damn good was because it was just quick flash back to when he was such a dominating force. It almost felt like he was showing everyone that he still had it despite the fact that he was in the twilight of his career.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
One of my fondest hockey memories was in one of Gretzky's last games in the league. Rangers vs. Canucks (of course it would be against his favourite team to beat on!) in Vancouver and Gretz put on an absolute clinic.

He scored four goals (not sure if he had any assists) with the last one just a thing of beauty. He pretty much went through the entire Canucks team starting from his side of centre ice, deked the pants of the tender who came out to challenge him who over committed and went sprawling way outside his crease, leaving the Great One to litterally walk around him, go around the net, and tuck the puck into an empty net.

What made it so damn good was because it was just quick flash back to when he was such a dominating force. It almost felt like he was showing everyone that he still had it despite the fact that he was in the twilight of his career.

On October 11, 1997 Wayne had 3 goals and 2 assists against the Canucks. Not 4 goals and not one of his last games in the league (perhaps you meant one of his last seasons in the league). Anyway, I'm pretty sure that's what you were thinking of.

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca
Heheh. I saw that series. Lemieux was off the charts. Watched a post retirement interview with Bourque and he mentioned that the media loves to bring up that moment with him. Every time he sees it, he has to turn away and give himself a facepalm.

Maybe the best I've seen was also from that season, again against the Bruins. Ron Tugnutt was in net for the Nordiques, who weren't very good that year. The Bruins outshot the Nords 73-26 in what should have been a romp, but only ended with a 3-3 tie. Tug was otherworldly that night. After the final buzzer Ray Bourque skated over to him and tapped his pads in amazement.

Here's the highlights. Bear in mind that it's the Bruins announcers that are being heard at the end, and you can see the Bruins fans giving him a standing ovation.

Came in to post that one

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Gigueres only really had 1 good playoffs. The year he won the cup he didn't even get all his teams wins(yes I know it was due to his sons health but his performance was far from spectacular though he did have a solid season that year.)

What? He was incredible in the 2007 playoffs. He led all goalies in SPCT after two rounds, only dropping below Luongo's numbers after a series against the Red Wings that probably would've earned him a Conn Smythe if he didn't already have one.

He wasn't far from spectacular; he was smack-dab in the middle of spectacular.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2007/news/story?id=2885325

As for the thread at hand:

Gylf

Dec 29, 2007
Well, Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr etc all had some great games.

But the ones that ment the most for me personally is:

1. Henrik Zetterberg in Kvalserien 2000.

2. Henrik Zetterberg in the Olympic Final 2006.

3. Mats Sundin against Finland in 1991 WC.

4. Peter Forsberg against Canada in 1998 WC.

5. An Italian goalie named Delfino in a 0-0 game against Sweden in 1992 WC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad