Most dominating individual performance ever?

Tavaresmagicalplay*

What? He was incredible in the 2007 playoffs. He led all goalies in SPCT after two rounds, only dropping below Luongo's numbers after a series against the Red Wings that probably would've earned him a Conn Smythe if he didn't already have one.

He wasn't far from spectacular; he was smack-dab in the middle of spectacular.

Couldn't disagree more with this. He played great but he was far from Conn Smythe worthy and I'm not taking anything away from the guy but having 2 hall of fame defenseman in the prime of their careers is pretty big help. Even if I agreed that he had a spectacular playoffs(I don't), he only has 2 great playoff runs and 2 or 3 seasons where he can be considered an elite(if that) goalie in the regular season. I mean the guy in the prime of his career lost his job to a rookie goalie TWO TIMES. Sorry, just doesn't pass the smell test.

Last edited by a moderator:

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Many people have posted Ron Tugnett's efforts and rightly so, but the fact is Sam Lopresti stopped 80 of 83 shots in a non overtime game for Chicago against Boston in 1941. 80 saves remains an NHL record almost 70 years later. Seems like a 1st star effort to me.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Talking about Italian goalies: Jim Corsi vs. Canada (team with Gretzky, Gainey, Clarke, Sittler, Barber etc.) in the 1982 World Championships; he held them to a 3-3 tie.

The 1st devastating performance by a goalie I clearly remember seeing was Pelle Lindbergh at the 1980 Winter Olympics vs. Czechoslovakia (Sweden won 4-2 despite being clearly outshot).

Starchild74

Aug 27, 2009
Here are my picks for the most dominant performances I have ever seen

For one game in the regular season

Ron Tugnutt making 70 saves which has already been mentioned

To me this was the coolest thing I ever saw Peter and Anton Statsny get 8 points in a game in Washington. One of them got 4g 4a and the other if I remember 3g 5a not just to have two teamates get 8 points in the same game but brothers as well. It was either 1981 or 1982

Dale Hawerchuk getting 5 assists in one period in 1984 against the Los Angeles Kings was pretty cool too

Playoff games

Patrick Sundstrom getting 8 points in a playoff game. Mario would tie the record the next year I believe but still Patrick Sundtrom with the New Jersey Devils who were in the playoffs for the first time and he gets 8 pts it was a gem. It was against Washington in 1988

Paul Coffey getting 6 points in the Stanley Cup final game against the Flyers in 85

Eric Desjardins being the first defenceman to ever get a hat trick in the finals is pretty good too

Playoff Series

Jari Kurri Getting 3 Hat tricks in one series against the Chicago Blackhawks in 1985

Jean Sebastien Giguerre in 2003 shut out Minnesota for the first three games including a double overtime win in game 1 and in game four only let in 1 goal. One of the best goaltending I have seen in one series

Mike Bossy against the Boston Bruins gets all 4 game winners in the series talk about clutch

The Edmonton Oilers scoring 44 goals against the Chicago Blackhawks in 6 games in 1985 that is an average of 7.33 goals per game that is amazing

A Playoff year

Patrick Roy 10 overtime wins in a playoff year in 1993 that is one of the best clutch performances by a goalie ever

Bryan Trottier with a performance that I think will never be touched is when he had an 18 game point streak in 1981. The incredible thing is the Islanders only played 18 games. To get at least one point in every playoff game in one year to me is pretty dominant

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
I liked Gretzky's 5 goal night against the Flyers to hit 50 in 39 as well. Mostly because that game seemed the prototype for everything about his game.

His first goal was anticipation. Saw the shot from the point going wide, knew where it would come off the boards, and got there in time to bang it in the open side. His second was his little half-slap shot right in the top corner, displaying his accuracy. The 3rd was another slapshot in the top corner, but this time he pulled the puck across the defensive zone, using the Dman as a screen. The 4th was yet another slapshot in the top corner, this time just catching the goalie off guard as he spun and shot. The 5th was his open netter, but displayed one of his other characteristics that usually gets overlooked - his patience. He gets the puck in the Oilers end, but doesn't want to risk icing, so he fights off several flyers, gets the puck up across center. He could shoot, but decided to get even closer, gets to the blueline, and scores with 3 seconds left.

When I think about what made him great, it was his anticipation, accuracy, and patience, and he displayed all those traits in his goals that night.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Scott Stevens in Game 7 of the 2000 Eastern Conference Finals had one of the most dominating performances I've ever seen, and not just for the Lindros hit. Apologies to those who've seen me post this article elsewhere, but I think it fits this thread well:

The Hit had obliterated Lindros, but it also overshadowed everything else about Stevens's dominating Game 7 performance. In the first period Stevens hip-checked hulking center Keith Primeau behind the Devils net, blocked four shots and actually caught a fifth, fielding an Adam Burt drive from the point as if it had been some broken-bat flare to shortstop. Brodeur, in the New Jersey net, said, "Wow, what a save." Stevens was putting on the greatest one-game display by a defenseman that Devils assistant coach Jacques Caron had ever seen. "Given the circumstances, absolutely," Caron says. "Remember, I go back to the days of Bobby Orr." Smoking one of the biggest, most powerful forwards in the NHL was only part of it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1019381/index.htm

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
1990-91 Eastern Conference finals:

With Boston leading the series 2-0, Mario Lemieux records 11 points over the next 4 games, all Pittsburgh victories, including that one goal where he made Ray Bourque look like some scrub AHL call-up.

Was that the one where both are chasing the puck in the Bruins's zone; Bourque gets their first, Lemieux dangles the puck between Bourque's stick, Bourque's skates, his own stick, and his own skates, subsequently strips Bourque of the puck, outskates him to get a lane to the net, and then scores?

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
Reggie Leach's 19 goals in just 13 playoff games was pretty crazy in '76.
Halak in games 6 and 7 vs the Caps this year was pretty damned impressive.
Sittler's 10 points has already been mentioned but it deserves to be again imo.

belgarath

Jan 27, 2007
Probably this for me, Colorado was down 5-0 when Forsberg decided to turn the game around, looks like he plays in junior or something.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Probably this for me, Colorado was down 5-0 when Forsberg decided to turn the game around, looks like he plays in junior or something.

Good performance, but it is not even close to Fedorov´s 5 goals performance against Washington in 5-4 win in OT.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Another one comes to mind.

Flyers defenseman Tom Bladon's game against the Cleveland Barons, Dec 11, 1977. Philadelphia won 10-3.

Bladon got four goals, four assists, and was a +10.

He was the first defenseman to get 8 points in one game (Paul Coffey matched the point total since, with 2G 6A, and they currently share the record). The +10 is still a single game record for all players.

Lexus

OWN THE MOMENT.
Jan 29, 2009

Ah.. the late 90's.

I remember that game like it was yesterday, it was unreal.

The Panthers had a 5-0 lead until late in the 2nd period (~19 min in).
The Avalanche came back and scored 7 unanswered goals (6 of them being in the 3rd).

Forsberg had 3 goals and 3 assists (was a +3 and had 9 shots on goal.)

Flash Walken

May 10, 2005
Vancouver
Scott Stevens in Game 7 of the 2000 Eastern Conference Finals had one of the most dominating performances I've ever seen, and not just for the Lindros hit. Apologies to those who've seen me post this article elsewhere, but I think it fits this thread well:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1019381/index.htm
I wasn't aware of that article, but it makes me feel great about my own memories and analysis of the game that I remember that game so vividly.

I remember few players, at any position, that dominated playoff games like Stevens did.

IggyFan12

Jul 26, 2010
Joe Sakic in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. He got 1g 1a but he played out of this world. I remember Stevens went to crush Sakic but Sakic rocked Stevens and Stevens was the one who fell. I knew the Avs were going to win it right there. Plus the goal he scored threw Stevens and above Brodeur was a thing of beauty. No one in the world could have stopped Sakic that night from giving the cup to Ray. And when he finally got it he did the classiest thing I have ever seen and gave it straight to Ray even before he lifted it him self.

Infinite Vision*

Here are my picks for the most dominant performances I have ever seen

For one game in the regular season

Ron Tugnutt making 70 saves which has already been mentioned

To me this was the coolest thing I ever saw Peter and Anton Statsny get 8 points in a game in Washington. One of them got 4g 4a and the other if I remember 3g 5a not just to have two teamates get 8 points in the same game but brothers as well. It was either 1981 or 1982

Dale Hawerchuk getting 5 assists in one period in 1984 against the Los Angeles Kings was pretty cool too

Playoff games

Patrick Sundstrom getting 8 points in a playoff game. Mario would tie the record the next year I believe but still Patrick Sundtrom with the New Jersey Devils who were in the playoffs for the first time and he gets 8 pts it was a gem. It was against Washington in 1988

Paul Coffey getting 6 points in the Stanley Cup final game against the Flyers in 85

Eric Desjardins being the first defenceman to ever get a hat trick in the finals is pretty good too

Playoff Series

Jari Kurri Getting 3 Hat tricks in one series against the Chicago Blackhawks in 1985

Jean Sebastien Giguerre in 2003 shut out Minnesota for the first three games including a double overtime win in game 1 and in game four only let in 1 goal. One of the best goaltending I have seen in one series

Mike Bossy against the Boston Bruins gets all 4 game winners in the series talk about clutch

The Edmonton Oilers scoring 44 goals against the Chicago Blackhawks in 6 games in 1985 that is an average of 7.33 goals per game that is amazing

A Playoff year

Patrick Roy 10 overtime wins in a playoff year in 1993 that is one of the best clutch performances by a goalie ever

Bryan Trottier with a performance that I think will never be touched is when he had an 18 game point streak in 1981. The incredible thing is the Islanders only played 18 games. To get at least one point in every playoff game in one year to me is pretty dominant

They were also rookies as well. Which remains a record.

Infinite Vision*

Ah.. the late 90's.

I remember that game like it was yesterday, it was unreal.

The Panthers had a 5-0 lead until late in the 2nd period (~19 min in).
The Avalanche came back and scored 7 unanswered goals (6 of them being in the 3rd).

Forsberg had 3 goals and 3 assists (was a +3 and had 9 shots on goal.)

Absolutely amazing.

Infinite Vision*

Good performance, but it is not even close to Fedorov´s 5 goals performance against Washington in 5-4 win in OT.

I wouldn't say it's not even close. Having watched both games, I'd say Forsberg's performance actually was more impressive to watch. To say it's not close is very strange.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Unfortunately I can't remember the year but Kazakhstan had a goalie that was incredible during a WC. Was about 6 or 7 years ago or something like that. Unfortunately, that team couldn't hit a barn. It was the same tournament when Mezin was stealing games. Ahh, my memory is not what it used to be.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
That I've seen?

Gaborik's five goals against the Rangers.

Yes, I've only been watching hockey for a couple years before the lockout.
It is excellent performance when we realize that nobody did it about 10 years ago before Gaborik.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Personally, I think Craig Anderson's Game 3 performance against San Jose this year is right up there with Tugnutt's 70 save game. Maybe not as impressive, but it is within the same level of dominance for sure.

51 shots, 51 saves vs 73 shots, 70 saves. Pretty close if you ask me.

The fact that it was a shutout just makes it that much more impressive. I think it was pretty easily the greatest single game performance of the year.

Infinite Vision*

Personally, I think Craig Anderson's Game 3 performance against San Jose this year is right up there with Tugnutt's 70 save game. Maybe not as impressive, but it is within the same level of dominance for sure.

51 shots, 51 saves vs 73 shots, 70 saves. Pretty close if you ask me.

The fact that it was a shutout just makes it that much more impressive. I think it was pretty easily the greatest single game performance of the year.

I can second this one. That was just flat out the best goaltending display I've seen in recent memory, and from a rookie as well.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

I think Forsbergs was more impressive TBH. He did it all himself pretty much and look at him fight through checks and hooks / holding. Very impressive.

Corpuscle2

Dec 15, 2006
Poor, poor Dave Reece.

IIRC, this was just after Gerry Cheevers returned from the WHA, might have been his first game in uniform as backup. After every goal after the fifth or so, Cherry looks over at Cheevers and Cheesy just looks back shaking his head...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad