Most dominating individual performance ever?

KingGallagherXI

Jul 10, 2009
Ever? I'm suprised no one mentionned Richard.

Quote from Le Rocket, a Cultural History

On April 8, 1952, Richard scored one of the most famous goals of all time, described variously as "the greatest in the history of the game" and "most beautiful in the history of the world". As blood dripped down his face after an earlier injury that saw him suffer a concussion, he scored the series-winning goal of the 1952 Stanley Cup Semifinals. Richard had left the game, but returned to the bench in the third period, wearing a bandage. Richard, although somewhat dazed, jumped off the bench and drove to the net to score past a surprised Sugar Jim Henry, the Boston Bruins' goaltender.

sugarjimhenry.jpg

Last edited:

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Some pretty great posts and memories rekindled.

I'd like to submit a game with two incredibly dominating performances: Hrudey and Mason in the Easter Epic of 1987:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Epic

The Belfour/Brodeur game 6 battle in 2000 was close, but I don't recall ever watching a game with so many outstanding chances thwarted time after time.
NHL has put both of those games on youtube.

HockeyHermit

Dec 3, 2008
Kelowna
www.hockeyhermit.com
Never saw it (way before my time), but Rocket Richard scoring all 5 goals in a playoff game against the Leafs in 1944 must have been quite the spectacle. He was declared the first, second and third star that night.

Back to back wins by Dominik Hasek against Team Canada and Team Russia in the 1998 Nagano Olympics is probably the best goaltending performance I've ever seen.

In 1989 Mario Lemieux racked up 8 points in a 10-7 playoff win over the Flyers. Mario had 7 points partway through the second period, and for a while it looked like he was going to join Sittler in the double-digit club.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Some pretty great posts and memories rekindled.

I'd like to submit a game with two incredibly dominating performances: Hrudey and Mason in the Easter Epic of 1987:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Epic

The Belfour/Brodeur game 6 battle in 2000 was close, but I don't recall ever watching a game with so many outstanding chances thwarted time after time.

I thought the Belfour/Brodeur duel in game 5 was even more impressive than in game 6 (though the wrong team won that one :) ).

Scott1980

Apr 27, 2010
Toronto
Kirk McLean in game 1 of the 1994 SCF.

Of course! How could I forget! How about Kirk McLean in the 1994 playoffs?

All he did was make 761 saves (a post season record) face 820 shots (post season record). That's an average of 34 shots against per game. No other NHL goaltender has ever made even 700 saves in one post season. Along the way, he posted a .928 S%, won three straight games in overtime to lift Vancouver out of a 3-1 hole against Calgary, (Including THE save) made 52 saves (17 in overtime) in game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals, took Vancouver to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals (No Vancouver team has ever come closer to winning the Cup as of this date)

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Bernie Parent - 74 & 75 playoffs
Hasek - 98 Olympics

Mario Lemieux 1992-93 pre cancer diagnosis - the best he ever was.

Gretzky - anytime from 81-88 or so, but I don't think he was ever better than the 1985 playoffs - 47 points in 18 games

Bobby Orr - 1970-72

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Patrick Roy in 1993. Definitely the greatest playoff performance by a goalie ever. Being able to shut the door 10 times in a row in OT is phenomenal. There's a story where he told his teammates all they had to do was score because he wouldn't let in any goals.

From watching interviews, I'm pretty sure the "I'm not going to let anything in, it's up to you guys" quote came from the game 4 cup win over Florida in 96, not during the 93 run, but I could be mistaken.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Of course! How could I forget! How about Kirk McLean in the 1994 playoffs?

All he did was make 761 saves (a post season record) face 820 shots (post season record). That's an average of 34 shots against per game. No other NHL goaltender has ever made even 700 saves in one post season. Along the way, he posted a .928 S%, won three straight games in overtime to lift Vancouver out of a 3-1 hole against Calgary, (Including THE save) made 52 saves (17 in overtime) in game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals, took Vancouver to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals (No Vancouver team has ever come closer to winning the Cup as of this date)

Nor will they...god willing. :)

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
From watching interviews, I'm pretty sure the "I'm not going to let anything in, it's up to you guys" quote came from the game 4 cup win over Florida in 96, not during the 93 run, but I could be mistaken.

He said it during Game 4 against Los Angeles. Prior to the game, he told the Canadiens to score 3 because he knew he wouldn't let in more than 2 that night. After Los Angeles beat him for their second, he told the Canadiens that he would keep his word and that it was up to them.

In Game 3 of 1996, he famously said "No more rats" after the Panthers' second goal (and then shutout the remainder of the series).

I've also heard a rumor that he yelled out of the window of the team bus at New Jersey Devils fans before Game 6 saying that they wouldn't score another goal (Sykora would end up getting the Devils' only goal over the next two games).

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
I think Forsbergs was more impressive TBH. He did it all himself pretty much and look at him fight through checks and hooks / holding. Very impressive.

Did it all himself? That is what Fedorov did, he actually went out there and scored all the goals himself, unlike Forsberg.

Forsberg had a few snipers to work with in Col and they inflated his stats, even in this game you speak of.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Did it all himself? That is what Fedorov did, he actually went out there and scored all the goals himself, unlike Forsberg.

Forsberg had a few snipers to work with in Col and they inflated his stats, even in this game you speak of.

You act like Fedorov wasn't getting some pretty sweet passes from Larionov, Konstantinov, Kozlov, and Shanahan. Whether he was the one burying them or not, Forsberg was creating the offensive chances; Fedorov was the recipient of them.

Both were great performances, and it's ridiculous that Forsberg's is the only one in the thread getting undercut (by multiple people), considering we're talking about 6 points in 20:18 with his team down 5-0.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: