Speculation: Most disappointing 2020 draft result?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
And he was a great goalie. HOF I believe.

Funny, I've been watching hockey for decades & I have never heard that. I've ALWAYS heard that you a build a team from the goalie out.
Which cup winners of the past 10 years built from the net out? I'd say none.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I wonder how many good goalies have beaten Ottawa in the playoffs over the yrs? Wouldn't it be nice for once to have the best goalie in the playoffs, just once instead of these also rans constantly yr after yr? PD needs to make a deal to acquire the best goalie prospect in the last decade, if not longer.
We had the best player and best goalie in the 2017 playoffs and still lost to Pitt.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
HOF goaltender. I'd argue the best of all time. Couldn't win until he went to a good team.

But he still won & I would argue that maybe they wouldn't have won without him.

Which cup winners of the past 10 years built from the net out? I'd say none.
Why only the last 10 yrs?

We had the best player and best goalie in the 2017 playoffs and still lost to Pitt.

We've never had the best player or the best goalie.

Reactions: Crosside

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Canada would not have won the Gold Medal without him. Not his fault that Montreal loves those small soft players.
So you admit the team in front of him isn’t very good

that is the exact point that everyone is telling you , that and it’s easy to trade or draft a goalie in later rounds

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ok, go back to 2000. The Devils maybe? Had 2 HOF D and a system leading them as well.
The teams that won a number of cups had elite goaltending NJ with Brodeur, Montreal with Dryden, Colorado with Roy and so on. Yes they had great teams & they had a great goaltender. It makes a difference, especially on teams that may have issues in other areas.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Late-bloomer. Whoever took him would be so happy with his progress to date. Same argument as Rossi. If they had this year they had but were drafted last year would you be content with them as a first round pick? I think with Rossi if you took him top 5 last year and he had a year like this year you'd be salivating at the future. With Quinn he's produced like as if he was a top 10- top15 pick last year which is very good. The draft date matters a lot but you gotta contextualize it with the D+1. Out of any D+1 are there many that have done what Rossi has?
Except Rossi actually had a 1st round-worthy season last year. Quinn not so much.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
So you admit the team in front of him isn’t very good

that is the exact point that everyone is telling you , that and it’s easy to trade or draft a goalie in later rounds
Sorry what? I admit that most of the SC teams have good players & IMO most teams that win the SC have had great to elite goaltending. Where I disagree is that it's easy to trade for an elite goalie, numerous teams over the yrs have never found one, Leafs are still looking for one. It's easy to draft a goalie in the later rds, but how the hell would you know if he is going to be elite or not? What does that even mean?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That's the team that won with Osgood...

Because that's what's most relevant to today? Add another 6 years and you get an at best mixed bag of Niemi, Fleury, Osgood playing in front of Hasek..., Giguerre, Ward, Khabibulin. Not exactly what I'd call a who's who of goaltendind.

Sure, I guess. Hard to argue with Crosby, and Murray played great, but he isn't a guy that was gotten via a high draft pick.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Karlsson was the best skater in the 2017 playoffs and Anderson outplayed Rask Lundqvist Fleury and Murray.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Karlsson was the best skater in the 2017 playoffs and Anderson outplayed Rask Lundqvist Fleury and Murray.

Anderson definitely outplayed Fleury, but you can't hold it against Murray that we didn't challenge him.

Reactions: Crosside

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Crosby was the best player, he won the Conn Smyth & Anderson has never won a cup, Fleury has.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Sorry what? I admit that most of the SC teams have good players & IMO most teams that win the SC have had great to elite goaltending. Where I disagree is that it's easy to trade for an elite goalie, numerous teams over the yrs have never found one, Leafs are still looking for one. It's easy to draft a goalie in the later rds, but how the hell would you know if he is going to be elite or not? What does that even mean?
You seem to be confusing elite goalies with “hot” goalies. Most cups are won by goalies who get hot at the right time while the elite goalies like Lundqvist and Price watch from their couch.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Crosby was the best player, he won the Conn Smyth & Anderson has never won a cup.
Karlsson was by far the best skater in those playoffs, if you can’t admit that then I can’t help you.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Karlsson was by far the best skater in those playoffs, if you can’t admit that then I can’t help you.
Then why did they give the Conn Smyth to Crosby? If you can't admit that why would I need your help?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Then why did they give the Conn Smyth to Crosby? If you can't admit that why would I need your help?
Because traditionally only players in the finals get votes, some notable exceptions being Karlsson in 2017 and Forsberg in I think it was 2002.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
That's the team that won with Osgood...

Because that's what's most relevant to today? Add another 6 years and you get an at best mixed bag of Niemi, Fleury, Osgood playing in front of Hasek..., Giguerre, Ward, Khabibulin. Not exactly what I'd call a who's who of goaltendind.

Sure, I guess. Hard to argue with Crosby, and Murray played great, but he isn't a guy that was gotten via a high draft pick.
Teams sometimes win with guys who were not drafted very high, so what? Are you saying that's all this team needs is just any old goalie to come in here & win a cup? This team has been in the NHL for over 25 yrs now, how has that worked out for them so far? How's that worked out for the Leafs or Philly & a number of other teams that can't seem to find a great goaltender. You guys sound like it's an irrelevant position, that it doesn't matter who plays in net, it's the elite defenceman & forwards that win games, not goaltending. You can win with anyone in nets even a Zaboni driver, remember him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad