Confirmed with Link: Morrissey bridge: 2 years, $3.15M AAV

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Kind of looks like Chevy blinked first. Oh well. He's signed now. I would have been happier with this news had Trouba signed a long-term extension this summer. All this is going to do is drive up the cost of his next contract. Chevy and the boys had better be getting some cheap depth coming up, because something tells me the gang isn't going to be kept together much longer.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Worth noting, two years from now, when Morrissey is due to sign a new contract:

- Trouba, if not traded or signed long term before, will hit UFA
- Little's full NMC turns into a limited NTC
- Perreault and Lowry have one year left before turning UFA
- Byfuglien will be 35 years old and have one year left before turning UFA
- an expansion draft is likely to take place

Maybe Morrissey will be expensive two years from now... but there will be a lot of ways to deal with that.
Very good points. I think Chevy would have preferred a long term deal, but a two year bridge could work well.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Good deal for both sides.
Morrissey will get his payday in 2 years when the Jets have the room.
Jets have room to add a piece or two for a seriously Cup run in the next 2 years.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
The only reason an agent wants a short term contract is they believe their player isn't being offered enough, or they want out.

Sooo, which is it since you're in contact with the agent?
Because they feel once 2 years have past Morrissey will have started getting more points and the cap has gone up a good amount.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Because they feel once 2 years have past Morrissey will have started getting more points and the cap has gone up a good amount.

So they didn't think the long term offer was good enough, and Chevy couldn't go higher. I think most of us had resigned ourselves to a bridge deal, as we just don't have much cap-space this year, and who knows how next year will turn out with Laine/Connor and still having Kulikov.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
So they didn't think the long term offer was good enough, and Chevy couldn't go higher. I think most of us had resigned ourselves to a bridge deal, as we just don't have much cap-space this year, and who knows how next year will turn out with Laine/Connor and still having Kulikov.

I think his agent realized that there will be a bit more space in two years, and he can get a bit more then than he can signing long term now.

It's not a matter of "I want out" all the time with a bridge.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
So Chevy basically failed the offseason.

Every move I didn't want to happen did.
How?
If Trouba does not want to sign how is it Chevy's fault?
The Wheeler deal was fair ... you can't have it both ways. It's either long term for less money or more money for short term.
The Morrissey deal tells me both parties are on board for winning and are not thinking about themselves. $3.15 Million is a great deal for the team and I'm pretty sure the Jets will reward Morrissey in the future.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I don't mind the bridge deal as long as Morrissey still has intentions to be a long term Jet. I just hope this process didn't manifest any hard feelings. Probably being paranoid here. I will feel better when I see his interview /hopefully also will continue the weekly interviews on 1290.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
You keep ignoring the fact that all rumors were that to Morrissey side never wanted to talk about a long term extension and were only wanting a bridge deal.

I’m sure if Chevy decided to stupidly overpay they would have accepted a long term contract.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I think his agent realized that there will be a bit more space in two years, and he can get a bit more then than he can signing long term now.

It's not a matter of "I want out" all the time with a bridge.

I never thought it was. They want to "keep the crew together" to go for a cup the next year or two. I disagree with keeping some of the guys (mainly Myers) if it affects re-signing players to higher cap deals (which it will have a part of) but I can see why Chevy did it. It will just cost us a larger cap hit in 2 years, but regardless Mo will be worth it.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
You keep ignoring the fact that all rumors were that to Morrissey side never wanted to talk about a long term extension and were only wanting a bridge deal.

I’m sure if Chevy decided to stupidly overpay they would have accepted a long term contract.

What rumors and from whom? The same "sources" saying Buff/Trouba/Ladd wanted all the money in the world? The same rumors saying we were in on every player for the TDL except the one we got? The same ones saying Stastny was looking at us or Colorado to re-sign with?

What do you consider to be an overpay for Mo on a long term deal?

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Kind of looks like Chevy blinked first. Oh well. He's signed now. I would have been happier with this news had Trouba signed a long-term extension this summer. All this is going to do is drive up the cost of his next contract. Chevy and the boys had better be getting some cheap depth coming up, because something tells me the gang isn't going to be kept together much longer.

Sure, but by how much in Morrissey's case? Say his long-term price is 5.5M/yr today, how much more will it be in two years?
Kyle Connor on the other hand, stands to gain a lot more value in years 4 & 5.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Worth noting, two years from now, when Morrissey is due to sign a new contract:

- Trouba, if not traded or signed long term before, will hit UFA
- Little's full NMC turns into a limited NTC
- Perreault and Lowry have one year left before turning UFA
- Byfuglien will be 35 years old and have one year left before turning UFA
- an expansion draft is likely to take place

Maybe Morrissey will be expensive two years from now... but there will be a lot of ways to deal with that.
This was a really good deal for Winnipeg. Thought a bridge at a aav like that was what the Jets should try for.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
What rumors and from whom? The same "sources" saying Buff/Trouba/Ladd wanted all the money in the world? The same rumors saying we were in on every player for the TDL except the one we got? The same ones saying Stastny was looking at us or Colorado to re-sign with?

What do you consider to be an overpay for Mo on a long term deal?
Seems like you have ignored everything leading up to this signing.

You’re blaming Myers just because you want to.

Even with Myers contract the Jets still have enough cap space to sign Morrissey long term at the going rate for a defenseman of his caliber.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Seems like you have ignored everything leading up to this signing.

You’re blaming Myers just because you want to.

Even with Myers contract the Jets still have enough cap space to sign Morrissey long term at the going rate for a defenseman of his caliber.

But then no space or ability with performance bonuses to be a buyer at the deadline, regardless of potential injuries. If you're a win now team you gotta work on that wiggle room. The Jets are in a very weird spot being a win now team with so many key guys still on ELC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad