News Article: Morin, Myers and the Future of the Flyers’ Defense

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Backcheck? I thought they were called "forwards" for a reason?

Hockey dinosaurs love their double standards.

Defensemen who can't score? Perfect.
Forwards who can't defend? Literally Satan.

Apparently forwards have to be two way players, but defensemen can be detriments in 2/3 zones... or in Hagg's case, in all 3. :laugh:

It all comes down to a hatred of skill and scoring.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
Blame Hart. And Gordon.
If they weren't in contention Morin would be starting.

They're still in contention.

Realistically, they were finished after losing back to back to Washington and Toronto.

THis is an example of the Flyers having a terrible culture.

One aspect of culture could be - "We're going to develop a team via drafting and player development.

They've done this.

But then they contradict this cultural axiom by burying Morin in a lost season. Could go on about their treatment of Ghost, Sanheim and Myers

Either you commit to player development or you dont. You dont employ methods that contradict it.

PS - my computer is running like crap, it freezes so i don't have patience to correct grammer/spelling. f off if its a problem (to nobody ib particular)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Big, Hasn't played enough minutes yet to have a good feel.
He's moving OK.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Backcheck? I thought they were called "forwards" for a reason?

Hockey dinosaurs love their double standards.

Defensemen who can't score? Perfect.
Forwards who can't defend? Literally Satan.

Apparently forwards have to be two way players, but defensemen can be detriments in 2/3 zones... or in Hagg's case, in all 3. :laugh:

It all comes down to a hatred of skill and scoring.

So Cooper is a dinosaur? Because he's stressing back checking and forechecking this year with TB.
Seems to be working.

Defense is half the game, the half that Toronto seems to have forgotten.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
To be fair, Morin hasn't played many minutes so the game is probably moving too fast for him right now.

Reactions: ArchAngel55

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I was in Raleigh to watch the Carolina game. Puck was a grenade on his stick 99% of the time. Slow, late decisions with it. Didn't display his touted physicality or meanness.

Hurricanes 5, Flyers 2: 10 things we learned from the...

Morin actually moved the puck quite well. In the first period, he was decisive with his passes in the defensive zone, not looking for home run dishes but pushing the puck to teammates quickly and efficiently. He had some rough moments — an poor attempted in-zone pass to Scott Laughton early in the second period led to a Carolina chance — but some impressive spots as well, with none better than his long breakout feed to Ryan Hartman that directly resulted in Travis Sanheim’s golden opportunity in the third, the best chance of the game that didn’t result in a goal for the Flyers.

In truth, Morin’s biggest issues on Saturday were the aspects of his game generally viewed as strengths: His in-zone defensive coverage was occasionally loose, and he often didn’t put sufficient puck pressure on opposing forwards. It’s fair to speculate, however, that those failings were more due to Morin still re-adjusting to NHL speed after missing nearly a year of action, rather than inherent flaws in his skill set.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Good read @God Bless Mr Gritty .

I’m really excited to see what we have in Myers and Morin.

I loved the:

Provorov - Sanheim
Gostisbehere - Myers
Morin - Gudas

pairings, but looking at the DAL game I really came to like the Morin - Myers pair. The 1st pair just makes me smile in what we have with them. If they can build with a solid system and coach, that could become one of the scarier pairings this team has seen in a bit... not to mention Ghost as a #3! It is really exciting.

Reactions: God Bless Mr Gritty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad