News Article: Morin, Myers and the Future of the Flyers’ Defense

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
After almost 13 years, time to partially dox myself on HF. In my quest to become a writer who actually writes about things I care about, I've started to contribute to The Hockey Writers. Here's my first go:

The Other Two: Morin, Myers and the Future of the Flyers’ Defense

A few seasons ago, the Flyers fan mantra was: “The defense may be a patchwork now, but in a few years, watch out!” Sometime in the future, they held, a deep arsenal of unique Flyers defensive prospects would vault the team back to relevance and contention.

Former general manager Ron Hextall and his predecessor (slash current team president) Paul Holmgren brought in half of the much-hyped bunch. Holmgren selected Shayne Gostisbehere in the third round of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft before grabbing Sam Morin and Robert Hagg in the first two rounds of 2013. Hextall added Travis Sanheim and Ivan Provorov with his opening picks in 2014 and 2015 before inking the tall, speedy, and somehow-undrafted Philippe Myers to a deal later in 2015.

All six were either believed to have NHL potential when acquired or demonstrated it shortly thereafter. Four of them are already NHL regulars. The two biggest, and most intriguing, are the two that are not...

In it, I give an overview of the two, what they could mean for the defense going forward, and who might shake loose if they end up regulars. Give the ol' linky a clickington and tell me how you feel about the stuff, friends.

Last edited:

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
99CE2C52-A65E-4B2D-83E4-748087DCCE29.gif

Reactions: Philly Phish

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
After almost 13 years, time to partially dox myself on HF. In my quest to become a writer who actually writes about things I care about, I've started to contribut to The Hockey Writers. Here's my first go:

The Other Two: Morin, Myers and the Future of the Flyers’ Defense

In it, I give an overview of the two, what they could mean for the defense going forward, and who might shake loose if they end up regulars. Give the ol' linky a click and tell me how you feel about the stuff, friends.

Good stuff. Always follow your passions and no matter what they will reward you... though I may simply have paraphrased that from The Alchemist. :laugh:

And losing your anonymity on here is not as bad as you might think! People are lovely in general. Just have to put up with the odd strange DM on twitter and people shouting at you now and again online! Though it does mean you cannot share random semi-relevant aspects of your personal life in the obsequious banter thread anymore in case someone comes across it somehow, and I hate having to think if I should type before I type. :laugh:

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Good stuff. Always follow your passions and no matter what they will reward you... though I may simply have paraphrased that from The Alchemist. :laugh:

And losing your anonymity on here is not as bad as you might think! People are lovely in general. Just have to put up with the odd strange DM on twitter and people shouting at you now and again online! Though it does mean you cannot share random semi-relevant aspects of your personal life in the obsequious banter thread anymore in case someone comes across it somehow, and I hate having to think if I should type before I type. :laugh:

I've been in that proverbial tongue-biting situation on Twitter for the longest, given that I was a healthcare reporter prior to my current role (in marketing and looking to generate enough experience as a hockey writer to do it full-time). Looping in HF just closes the whole circle now, but I can't think of a better audience for the efforts than this group.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I liked it. Easy writing style to follow, it flowed well. HOWEVER, there were no pictures of attractive butts, so that's a minus.

Seriously though, the only thing I would've appreciated and I think add some depth to the article is some statistical info/references. Not a crazy amount of fancy stats, but this reads as a very large opinion piece. I did appreciate the few links for reference from other sources, but it seemed tangential. Especially because they were all from inside house voices, not opposing coaches/players giving the "Wow, that guy, let me tell you something...".

Commendable work, and a tribute to be an educational piece for these two players. May they, and you, reach full potential and enrich Flyers fans everywhere.

Edit: In the future, if referencing another source(s) like that, I'd include a quote from that source in your work. Force the reader to acknowledge the point you are trying to make. Instead of saying there's a sign over here leading to water, take a cup of water and throw it in their face and say, the water came from here.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Yet both, when healthy, should be playing every night. But you know, with this team, I could see them either not playing this year or sitting almost every night. They deserve to play this year in the NHL.

My suggestion, trade Hagg, waive Folin and Farmer and bring in Morin and Myers.

Provy-Ghost
Sanheim-Gudas
Morin-Myers

Something like that. The pairing of Morin and Myers is massive, but on the other hand, they would both be rookies. I like Gudas over Hagg anyways.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Yet both, when healthy, should be playing every night. But you know, with this team, I could see them either not playing this year or sitting almost every night. They deserve to play this year in the NHL.

My suggestion, trade Hagg, waive Folin and Farmer and bring in Morin and Myers.

Provy-Ghost
Sanheim-Gudas
Morin-Myers

Something like that. The pairing of Morin and Myers is massive, but on the other hand, they would both be rookies. I like Gudas over Hagg anyways.

They will need to travel with a #7 though, and I'm not sure it's worth halting Friedman's progression with the Phantoms to have him sit in NHL press boxes. Ideally you can keep Hagg and get him into that role, though I'm not sure he'd be pleased with it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Maybe Fletcher is just waiting to see what offers he can get, he can waive/bury Macdonald anytime, but if he moves Folin/Hagg he may need an extra body.
No reason to make hasty decisions when there is no opportunity cost to delaying a decision and keeping your options open.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Morin has definite snarl which aside from gudas is absent from this d. He also had chemistry with ghost in the a so id try him there.

Myers just may be a guy you can throw right in the deep end. Size skating instincts im baffled he went Undrafted.

Provy myers
Morin ghost
Sanheim gudas
Hagg

To finish out the year would make me very happy

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Hextall’s 17-18 defense was one of the youngest in the league, with Sanheim starting his NHL career at age 21 after one AHL season.

Meanwhile Fletcher says Myers may have to wait till next year at camp to get a shot.

Big defenseman Phil Myers making impression on Flyers’ GM

Yes and Hextall was scared to make it even younger even though it is obvious if you focus on drafting d for a number of years your d is automatically going to be very young if they hit.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Great article. For those who desire toughness as much as skill THESE are the types of D men you want. In particular Myers, who's not a liability at transition or clearing the puck (Hagg). They can both skate circles around the Hagg's and Folin's of the world.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Pretty crazy to think they can add Morin and Myers to this already young D corps. Should be set for a long time.

Of course there is the stupid ED to contend with but at worst that will just claim one player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad