News Article: Morin, Myers and the Future of the Flyers’ Defense

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Morin was on the ice at practice today. It was reported that in a month he'll be ready for NHL play. Two weeks here getting in physical shape; two weeks in LV getting into game shape. Back up to Philly and bye bye to AMac.
I still think they "drag" it out until after the deadline as then the roster is expanded. Keep the depth to make sure he is eased back in.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I disagree. He 100% should get into some games as he has been skating for months and is expected to be healthy by February. I also expect a 2 conditioning stint to LV to get a few games in their first somewhere around mid-February.

Assuming no setbacks of course.

Myers can't get into the lineup but you expect Morin to?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Myers can't get into the lineup but you expect Morin to?
Morin has to stay on the Flyers, Myers can come up and down.

What is crazy, is how healthy our D has been this year except for Morin. Only AMac has missed games due to injury out of the other 7 guys. That is unusual.

But as I said in another thread, or earlier, Myers should be up now so he has 1 moth/6weeks of playing time under his belt before Morin gets in some games.

As an example, Tampa has a 3 guy rotation going on where you play 2 games, then sit for a game. Morin can be in that type of rotation. But for awhile, I have said Folin should be traded with Myers recalled and AMac scratched. Then Morin can take games from Hagg when ready.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa

What is crazy, is how healthy our D has been this year except for Morin. Only AMac has missed games due to injury out of the other 7 guys. That is unusual.

But as I said in another thread, or earlier, Myers should be up now so he has 1 moth/6weeks of playing time under his belt before Morin gets in some games.

As an example, Tampa has a 3 guy rotation going on where you play 2 games, then sit for a game. Morin can be in that type of rotation. But for awhile, I have said Folin should be traded with Myers recalled and AMac scratched. Then Morin can take games from Hagg when ready.

That makes a lot of sense. Too bad the Flyers and sense never co-exist :help:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

That would require a level of creativity that would cause the entire management team of the Philadelphia Flyers to spontaneously combust.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Big deal. There's no rush for Fletcher, there's a lot of season left.
Folin will get dealt at some point for a late round pick.
AMac will get buried if he can't be moved with salary retained.
Morin will get a full trial and Myers and Friedman will get called up (but not before Fletcher finds another AHL D-man).

I'm sure Fletcher wants to look at the LHV prospects for an extended cameo before June.

But right now the focus is on "let's make a deal," and keeping the Phantoms in the Calder Cup race (especially if you want to bring in guys like Frost, Ratcliffe, Strome, Sushko and Farabee, Allison, Laczynski and Kalynuk if they sign to get a taste of AHL playoffs before TC next fall).

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
How has myers looked this season? Likely top pairing guy or middle pairing?

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
How has myers looked this season? Likely top pairing guy or middle pairing?
Small sample size, however, he has shown flashes of top pairing potential. Ability to erase mistakes, skating is top notch. Still has some momentary lapses one wouldn't expect of a top pair, and some of his instincts still seem to be conflicting with desire vs. schematic responsibility. Those things most expect to be cleaned up with more playing time, and a camp in which he starts, and stays with the Flyers, instead of getting bounced to the Phantoms.

Who knows what Fletcher is going to do this offseason. Myers appears ready to play whatever role is asked of him on the defense, as long as he's on the right side.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Myers is 2-3 years away from a top pair role, his talent is well ahead of his instincts at this point, at times he looks like a world beater, at times like he's "lost in space."
Very few players under 25 play top pair minutes, people have to have reasonable expectations.
TOI leaders:

Seth Jones (24) 4th - 25:58
Provorov (22) 7th - 25:08
Lindell (24) 12th - 24:29
Chabot (22) 17th - 24:07
Nurse (24) 19th - 23:54
Ekblad (23) 22nd - 23:34
Heiskanen (19) 28th - 23:05
Slavin (24) 29th - 22:56
Werenski (21) 33rd - 22:51
Montour (24) 39th - 22:28
Morrissey (23) 40th - 22:24
Pulock (24) 45th - 22:15
Severson (24) 49th - 21:56

13 of 50, and 7 of the 13 are 24 years old.

Last edited:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
"reel in expectations"

"Patrick will be better than Tavares by end of season"

This is just how the cycle works......

Exhibit A:
  1. "Travis Sanheim will be a better Ghost"
  2. Makes NHL
  3. Becomes a "p**** nerd"
  4. Improves on the top pair in year 2
  5. Gets minimized
Exhibit B:
  1. "Myers is a unicorn and will be better than Sanheim"
  2. Makes NHL
  3. "Lost in space"
  4. Suggests others reel in expectations

Will it happen again? Of course!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Exhibit A:
  2. Makes NHL
  5. Gets minimized
Exhibit B:
  2. Makes NHL
  3. "Lost in space"

I'm very consistent, there's a difference between potential and production, hoping for the best doesn't mean ignoring actual play like some people around here consistently do.

Sanheim is better offensively than Ghost, still needs to polish his D-zone instincts and add strength, and his ability to run a PP is a ???
But would you trade Sanheim for Ghost straight up? I wouldn't. Ghost isn't getting better, Sanheim should.

Myers has the most upside of any Flyer D-man, but he's got the typical rookie "yips" right now, and he's not as instinctual as Provorov. But you can't teach size, speed and innate skill. Just needs experience. Sanheim may score more points, but he's never going to be an intimidating presence in his D-zone - Myers has the potential to put the fear of God in forwards.

One thing impressive about Provorov lately is his skating, it's like he was focused on defense and lacked confidence in his skates, but the last month or so he's been skating up ice and into the O-zone on a regular basis, and he's good at it - though at times gets over aggressive - but there's a reason most teams don't put too much responsibility on 22 year old defensemen.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Exhibit A:
  2. Makes NHL
  5. Gets minimized
Exhibit B:
  2. Makes NHL
  3. "Lost in space"

Because scoring is bad and size/heaviness is all that matters. Just the way Daddy Hak likes it.

Ghost: scores the most and is the smallest = hated most

Sanheim: scores 2nd most and 2nd smallest = hated p***y nerd

Myers: scores the least and is the biggest = hated least

Now Adam Ginning... he’s the real prize. Size and might as well not even have a stick. Hakstols wet dream.

Reactions: Rebels57

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
ij7C1Va.jpg

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Big deal. There's no rush for Fletcher, there's a lot of season left.
Folin will get dealt at some point for a late round pick.
AMac will get buried if he can't be moved with salary retained.
Morin will get a full trial and Myers and Friedman will get called up (but not before Fletcher finds another AHL D-man).

I'm sure Fletcher wants to look at the LHV prospects for an extended cameo before June.

But right now the focus is on "let's make a deal," and keeping the Phantoms in the Calder Cup race (especially if you want to bring in guys like Frost, Ratcliffe, Strome, Sushko and Farabee, Allison, Laczynski and Kalynuk if they sign to get a taste of AHL playoffs before TC next fall).
Wheres that full trial for Morin.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Blame Hart. And Gordon.
If they weren't in contention Morin would be starting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad