News Article: Morgan's Yotes Notes: Strome's Packin' On The Bulk

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
It was snide and incorrect too. You have Hinterland in agreement with you!

Trust me, I hope Keller makes it sooner and competes well, but I'm thinking it will take longer than most seem to think. What can I say, I don't like pushing young smallish players onto a team with pretty much no grit or protection. If he does play in the NHL consistently starting next season, his career will probably be shortened, but at least we'll have a great young offensive player for a season or two :rolleyes:

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Trust me, I hope Keller makes it sooner and competes well, but I'm thinking it will take longer than most seem to think. What can I say, I don't like pushing young smallish players onto a team with pretty much no grit or protection. If he does play in the NHL consistently starting next season, his career will probably be shortened, but at least we'll have a great young offensive player for a season or two :rolleyes:

Whaaaat? C'mon man - I'm sure you've seen Kane play enough to know that he basically never gets hit. He evades everything...all you have to do is keep your head up when you're that agile. Kane has missed practically no games in his career. Also, we have Hjarlmarsson, Schenn, Sheriff Crouse...there's some toughness there - and OEL and Domi aren't bruisers but they don't take any crap from anyone either. Not worried about a lack of toughness with this group

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Keller isn't Skinner. You're out on an island with this one. Did Mitch Marner take 3 years to contribute in the NHL after going pro? :rolleyes:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Keller isn't Skinner. You're out on an island with this one. Did Mitch Marner take 3 years to contribute in the NHL after going pro? :rolleyes:

Oh no. I don't want a player you constantly have to hide. Guys like Marner or Gaudreau are false gold. They can provide scoring but you're never gonna win a Cup with a player you have to hide like that. Their respective teams have to arrange so many things just to be able to play them the way they do...it's just not worth it. What their teams should have done is stick them to the AHL, let them hit the gym and teach them how to play against the puck.

Problem is that the salary is very much based on scoring. Once that changes, then it may be possible to carry one or two classic one dimensional rentals.
Gaudreau is an absolute crap player overall but his ability to score around 20 goals and 60-70 points per season alone has earned him a big contract.

So please no...I don't want any one dimensional players on the team or at least not someone who can play offense only and still needs a babysitter.
This is also why I was more than happy to see Duclair back in Tucson. If he doesn't get it, I'll send him right back there.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Whaaaat? C'mon man - I'm sure you've seen Kane play enough to know that he basically never gets hit. He evades everything...all you have to do is keep your head up when you're that agile. Kane has missed practically no games in his career. Also, we have Hjarlmarsson, Schenn, Sheriff Crouse...there's some toughness there - and OEL and Domi aren't bruisers but they don't take any crap from anyone either. Not worried about a lack of toughness with this group

Hjalmarsson may be the softest defender in the NHL and OEL isn't far away.
Hjalmarsson is a decent shotblocker but that's about it. If there's trouble, he tries to stay away. You can also heavily celebrate every single hit of his without getting drunk:laugh:

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Oh no. I don't want a player you constantly have to hide. Guys like Marner or Gaudreau are false gold. They can provide scoring but you're never gonna win a Cup with a player you have to hide like that. Their respective teams have to arrange so many things just to be able to play them the way they do...it's just not worth it. What their teams should have done is stick them to the AHL, let them hit the gym and teach them how to play against the puck.

Problem is that the salary is very much based on scoring. Once that changes, then it may be possible to carry one or two classic one dimensional rentals.
Gaudreau is an absolute crap player overall but his ability to score around 20 goals and 60-70 points per season alone has earned him a big contract.

So please no...I don't want any one dimensional players on the team or at least not someone who can play offense only and still needs a babysitter.
This is also why I was more than happy to see Duclair back in Tucson. If he doesn't get it, I'll send him right back there.

You're never going to win a cup with a guy like that? What about Kane? Kane, Gaudreau, and Marner are all mentioned together quite often.

And with Keller, I expect him to spend at least 70% of next year in the NHL. I think he'll put up at least 40 points in his rookie season. I think my expectations may be a bit low for his rookie year... I think he may take some time to adjust to the speed of the NHL but once he does I think he's going to tear it up. I have very high expectations for his sophomore season.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
You're never going to win a cup with a guy like that? What about Kane? Kane, Gaudreau, and Marner are all mentioned together quite often.

And with Keller, I expect him to spend at least 70% of next year in the NHL. I think he'll put up at least 40 points in his rookie season. I think my expectations may be a bit low for his rookie year... I think he may take some time to adjust to the speed of the NHL but once he does I think he's going to tear it up. I have very high expectations for his sophomore season.

Don't expect too much from Keller in the next few years. He's most likely still far away.

Kane is clearly no Marner or Gaudreau. Of course he's also pretty soft and Chicago uses him in offensive situations only...but he's much better and smarter against the puck and clearly no liability in that regard. He doesn't need a babysitter. I'd also argue that he's a bit stronger on the puck.

In other words...if Keller becomes the next Kane, I'm happy. If he becomes the next Marner or Gaudreau, I'm not unless he's willing to play for little money.

Last edited:

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I'd consider it a great favor if folks would stop using the quote feature when responding to the hot take bot.

Also known as the guy who insisted Radim Vrbata would be a waste of a roster spot last year and guaranteed the Coyotes would regret not giving Stefan Fournier a bigger opportunity.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Weight definitely wasn't an issue, his body type isn't going to change but I think the effort thing was a lot of frustration on his part. Yes he has to push through that but bouncing him around on line after line and playing him with bottom six, low skill players did him zero good. He needs to play in a scoring role with skill players. He is what he is. The good news is this year there will be a lot more skill and talent on the roster for him to play with. Even if he's playing with inexperienced players, I have to believe he will have more success with other offensively skilled linemates.

If you are not producing on one line, that player gets moved around. Duke, at the moment is a one dimensional player who has to demonstrate that he can produce without Domi and round out his game a bit more. He can't keep on looking at the stars every time he missed a chance, rather buckle down and go for that second and third effort. When he was sent down last year to the A he still did squat. Duke has no one to blame except himself.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

This team is light in the ass. That is one reason I see Crouse and Fischer on the roster this year. We need their toughness. Don't forget, we were light last year, and we lost Murphy and Stone's toughness.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Also known as the guy who insisted Radim Vrbata would be a waste of a roster spot last year and guaranteed the Coyotes would regret not giving Stefan Fournier a bigger opportunity.

I didn't want Vrbata either.:laugh: There was another player Hinterland kept harping about that I believe was put on waivers and he wanted us to pick him him up.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Only in the Coyotes forum would you see two people say that a prospect considered by many to be the top prospect in the NHL is 3 years away from the NHL. Off of what, a handful of games? :shakehead

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Only in the Coyotes forum would you see two people say that a prospect considered by many to be the top prospect in the NHL is 3 years away from the NHL. Off of what, a handful of games? :shakehead

It is hilarious isn't it? "Hey I have a completely uninformed opinion! Let me throw it around as fact!" Awesome.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Hjalmarsson is a decent shotblocker but that's about it. If there's trouble, he tries to stay away. You can also heavily celebrate every single hit of his without getting drunk:laugh:

Yeeeeah...I think this warrants you officially going on the ignore list. What's the old saying..."can't argue with stupid?" At least preface your false, uninformed opinion as just that, opinion that is probably off base and wrong...instead of throwing it around as fact and making yourself look like a tool.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It is hilarious isn't it? "Hey I have a completely uninformed opinion! Let me throw it around as fact!" Awesome.

At least most people over the years have tried to use objective evidence to support their opinions on here. Even if I vehemently disagreed with their take, there was at least an attempt to provide justification. This "Cuz I said so" is not worthy of debate or worth responding to anymore.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Yeeeeah...I think this warrants you officially going on the ignore list. What's the old saying..."can't argue with stupid?" At least preface your false, uninformed opinion as just that, opinion that is probably off base and wrong...instead of throwing it around as fact and making yourself look like a tool.

Well, now you got me interested. From Hjalmarsson I remember one NHL fight vs Backes and if I'm right he didn't even attempt to throw a punch before the refs saved his life.
He also has about 30 Hits per season. I know because of Fantasy Hockey. Like I said. Hard to get drunk even if you celebrate every single one of it. I could look it all up but since you have the facts I'd rather let you explain why I'm wrong and Hjalmarsson is such a tough guy:laugh:

PS: don't come up with some of the dirty stuff he's done. That's not how I define toughness. Thanks

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

:laugh:You should have been here last year. It happens all the time. The funny part is that other posters read it and believe it to be fact.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Well, now you got me interested. From Hjalmarsson I remember one NHL fight vs Backes and if I'm right he didn't even attempt to throw a punch before the refs saved his life.
He also has about 30 Hits per season. I know because of Fantasy Hockey. Like I said. Hard to get drunk even if you celebrate every single one of it. I could look it all up but since you have the facts I'd rather let you explain why I'm wrong and Hjalmarsson is such a tough guy:laugh:

PS: don't come up with some of the dirty stuff he's done. That's not how I define toughness. Thanks

"Toughness" is a hard thing to define. It comes in different shapes and sizes. Hammer plays like Z. Michalek when it comes to blocking shots and sacrificing his body. Ask Coach Q or Toews if they think Hammer is "one of the softest defenders in the league" and I think they would be so insulted that they wouldn't even answer the question. When it comes to defining toughness with him it's not really about fighting and hitting...it's about blocking shots, and just being all around "tough" to play against. Toews said that he hated practicing against Hammer because he just made life so difficult for everyone during drills. He's tough in the sense that when you have to go up against him shift after shift all night you're inevitably just going to get worn down and frustrated. OEL shut down Connor single handedly last year so I can't wait to see the two of them play against some of the top forwards in the league next year :naughty:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
"Toughness" is a hard thing to define. It comes in different shapes and sizes. Hammer plays like Z. Michalek when it comes to blocking shots and sacrificing his body. Ask Coach Q or Toews if they think Hammer is "one of the softest defenders in the league" and I think they would be so insulted that they wouldn't even answer the question. When it comes to defining toughness with him it's not really about fighting and hitting...it's about blocking shots, and just being all around "tough" to play against. Toews said that he hated practicing against Hammer because he just made life so difficult for everyone during drills. He's tough in the sense that when you have to go up against him shift after shift all night you're inevitably just going to get worn down and frustrated. OEL shut down Connor single handedly last year so I can't wait to see the two of them play against some of the top forwards in the league next year :naughty:

Don't you think that after you were dishing out with your last post, this is a bit thin? I said it myself that Hjalmarsson is a pretty good shotblocker. So I'd like you to come up with something else than "his friends wouldn't define him as soft". Of course they don't. That's no evidence. You were calling me out for selling my opinion as evidence (where?). But what is it you're doing? Think about that.
Toughness and tough to play against also isn't exactly the same. Don't you think? Gaudreau is very tough to play against...but would you say that he's tough?:laugh:

I think you have to be very careful here...

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
100% agreed. Strength wasn't the problem last season.. skating, coordination and mobility were far off. Watching Strome was like watching in slow motion...very painful. He'll be a good one but he really should figure out his skating and coordination within the next couple of years or he might never make it. Adding weight certainly won't help. Why is nobody stopping him? Somebody clearly not doing his job here.

This.

The best skaters in the NHL are relatively tall but light. Guys like Buchnevich, Athanasiou, Kuznetsov or Simmonds. So the talk here about Strome having to hit the gym to improve his skating is just nonsense. 200 pounds are fine for Strome, but he has to fix his skating and coordination issues first. If he already did this then of course there's no problem with him adding weight. If not, it certainly won't help. Stronger legs also won't be the solution for Strome. Last season, his main problem was his movement, his coordination and mobility. I know this for sure...I had the same issues when I was younger and you can't fix this overnight. Of course he moves a lot better than I used to back then but he wants to be a hockey professional so I'm not sure if he was able to fix this in just one year. Also has to be said that he wasn't even close during preseason. Skill was there, but skating and coordination were miles away from NHL level.

For those reasons, I'd much rather read news about Strome working with skating coaches and athletic trainers...not necessarily the conditioning coaches. More weight would be nice but it probably shouldn't be have priority at this point. I'll judge when I see him during preseason though.

Keller got pushed around, knocked off the puck etc.
Not Strome. All they had in common was a lack of hockey sense especially on the defensive side. They need to learn when to pass and especially how to play against the puck.

Strome's problems are purely related to coordination. He should start by working with the athletic trainer and then go to practice with the skating coaches. He has to figure his body out NOW or his career is in danger. Basic summer strength program is completely enough for Strome. You can always to the gym to add weight. You can easily become a bodybuilder with 30 but you're not gonna improve your body coordination with 30. The younger you are, the easier it is. For a hockey pro, his coordination was terribly bad one year ago. I don't know when I last saw this. Like I said...he reminded me a lot of myself when I was a kid. Strome is packed with talent and probably a lot better than most people think but he has to fix his coordination issues now or I'm worried.

Of course he's gonna need at least one season in Tucson. So does Keller btw.
However, I don't agree with the rest. Usually, problems like Strome's get fixed during childhood. Strome is 20 already...I started to do specific therapy with 12 or so. Of course my issues were more serious than his but I never had the ambition to be a hockey pro. He does. So I'm afraid, a normal training program won't do it for him.

Based on the handful of games he played last season he's at least as far away as Strome. He was very bad despite playing quality minutes and offensive zone starts with Dvorak. I'm not worried at all but I also wouldn't rush them. They both need one year in Tucson for sure. If not two or three.

Don't expect too much from Keller in the next few years. He's most likely still far away.

Kane is clearly no Marner or Gaudreau. Of course he's also pretty soft and Chicago uses him in offensive situations only...but he's much better and smarter against the puck and clearly no liability in that regard. He doesn't need a babysitter. I'd also argue that he's a bit stronger on the puck.

In other words...if Keller becomes the next Kane, I'm happy. If he becomes the next Marner or Gaudreau, I'm not unless he's willing to play for little money.

That's 24 hours of shade with no sunshine in between. I see a pattern.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Correct. When some hear the word "tough", they go straight to the stat sheet and look up PIM, hits etc. I know I do the same thing if I don't follow the player. I remember Fiddler when he played with the Yotes, and Z as far as that goes, and more than once the cameras would pan over to the bench and show the pain they were in from blocking a shot. Now, that is tough, and they do it over and over.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I know when I played hockey I hated playing against D who knew how to close gap, block shots, and knew proper stick positioning to break up plays (the Teppo Numminens of the game). Guys who primarily relied upon strength/hitting could be made to be less disruptive to my game (which wasn't glamorous) through skill and speed. Usually you force them to take a penalty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad