News Article: Morgan's Yotes Notes: Strome's Packin' On The Bulk

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
Gallagher for Duclair + Conditional 4th (becomes a 3rd if he scores 45 points)

Thoughts?

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
What's so great about Gallagher? I don't do that deal.

He's far and away a better player than Duke, at least at this point in time. Gallagher can not only score 20 goals and 50 points he can bring tenacity, energy and leadership...the guy gets his team going like almost no one else in the league. He's got a motor that few people have. He's superior to Duke in just about every way other than maybe pure goal scoring ability.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
What's so great about Gallagher? I don't do that deal.

Three years older than Duke, asst Capt, points consistent with Dukes best year, more physical, but most importantly that smirky smile, that gets under the skin is worth the price of admission! :laugh:

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Gallagher is primed for a burnout. Little fireballs usually don't last long.

I'm not sure if Duclair is primed for a breakout. He wasn't working hard to get through his struggles. I wouldn't trade him until I see him under Tocchet.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Part of his problems with his first few steps relates to a lack of strength. 200lbs is still underweight for his frame. Strength was absolutely the problem if you ever paid attention to how he was handled along the boards by other players. I'm going to go with "an entire organization of professionals" knows what's best, not you.

Only because DT is gone - otherwise every decision would be suspect.;)

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Part of his problems with his first few steps relates to a lack of strength. 200lbs is still underweight for his frame. Strength was absolutely the problem if you ever paid attention to how he was handled along the boards by other players. I'm going to go with "an entire organization of professionals" knows what's best, not you.

In theory, 200 pounds is fine. The problem is that Strome is too slow and it depends where the extra weight was gained. If it is in his legs and he is a stronger skater because of it, it could help his first step and his skating. If it is upper body weight, it will slow him down. in general, the lighter you are, the quicker you will be and the faster you can skate. Also, muscle strength doesn't equal muscle size (weight).

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Chayka says there's been a noticeable improvement in Strome's skating this summer. I'm going to trust that instead of worrying about new muscle slowing him down.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
In theory, 200 pounds is fine. The problem is that Strome is too slow and it depends where the extra weight was gained. If it is in his legs and he is a stronger skater because of it, it could help his first step and his skating. If it is upper body weight, it will slow him down. in general, the lighter you are, the quicker you will be and the faster you can skate. Also, muscle strength doesn't equal muscle size (weight).

This.

The best skaters in the NHL are relatively tall but light. Guys like Buchnevich, Athanasiou, Kuznetsov or Simmonds. So the talk here about Strome having to hit the gym to improve his skating is just nonsense. 200 pounds are fine for Strome, but he has to fix his skating and coordination issues first. If he already did this then of course there's no problem with him adding weight. If not, it certainly won't help. Stronger legs also won't be the solution for Strome. Last season, his main problem was his movement, his coordination and mobility. I know this for sure...I had the same issues when I was younger and you can't fix this overnight. Of course he moves a lot better than I used to back then but he wants to be a hockey professional so I'm not sure if he was able to fix this in just one year. Also has to be said that he wasn't even close during preseason. Skill was there, but skating and coordination were miles away from NHL level.

For those reasons, I'd much rather read news about Strome working with skating coaches and athletic trainers...not necessarily the conditioning coaches. More weight would be nice but it probably shouldn't be have priority at this point. I'll judge when I see him during preseason though.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
This.

The best skaters in the NHL are relatively tall but light. Guys like Buchnevich, Athanasiou, Kuznetsov or Simmonds. So the talk here about Strome having to hit the gym to improve his skating is just nonsense. 200 pounds are fine for Strome, but he has to fix his skating and coordination issues first. If he already did this then of course there's no problem with him adding weight. If not, it certainly won't help. Stronger legs also won't be the solution for Strome. Last season, his main problem was his movement, his coordination and mobility. I know this for sure...I had the same issues when I was younger and you can't fix this overnight. Of course he moves a lot better than I used to back then but he wants to be a hockey professional so I'm not sure if he was able to fix this in just one year. Also has to be said that he wasn't even close during preseason. Skill was there, but skating and coordination were miles away from NHL level.

For those reasons, I'd much rather read news about Strome working with skating coaches and athletic trainers...not necessarily the conditioning coaches. More weight would be nice but it probably shouldn't be have priority at this point. I'll judge when I see him during preseason though.

Straight from the article.

Strome has been working regularly with Coyotes skating coach Dawn Braid.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Last year Strome was "too light".... "got ragdolled all over the ice".

So he spends the rest of the season building bulk, strength and works on his skating. Then stays the entire summer in Phoenix to continue working with Dawn Braid and the rest of the staff.

Now he's basically "too fat and slow".

God I love this forum........ :laugh:

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
This.
For those reasons, I'd much rather read news about Strome working with skating coaches and athletic trainers...not necessarily the conditioning coaches.

Well, as a professional athlete, he probably shouldn't focus on one or the other at his age. He should have a program that improves all facets. This is my concern with pushing a youngster. Sure he could focus on improving his coordination and skating, but if he ends up being pushed around (a la Keller), it ain't going to help him in the long run. In order to make it to (and maintain) an NHL spot, he will have to do all three (skating, coordination, and strength training) and probably more. I'd rather it take longer for him to be NHL ready so that his playing career lasts longer, which is why I see him in Tucson for at least half a season next year.

He's not a generational player despite where he was drafted, and while other players (from the same draft year) have made it to regular NHL duty, I highly doubt their careers will last as long as Strome's does if developed properly. He's only 20 folks, I'd be fine with waiting/developing until he turns 22 before he has regular NHL duty

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

So he spends the rest of the season building bulk, strength and works on his skating. Then stays the entire summer in Phoenix to continue working with Dawn Braid and the rest of the staff.

I wrote he needs to be careful about adding too much weight the wrong way, and I hope he's adding weight the right way.

Fairly straightforward comment followed now by a sarcastic "ZOMG People on this forum are like sooooo Dumbz!!! looooloolllol" comment. God I love this forum.

See how easy that is?

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

Literally LOL :laugh:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Before it gets asked and it will:

Wrong way = body builder strength goals

Right way = hockey player strength goals

There have been many young players who screwed themseves up going for body building results and not hockey focused results. It's happened many times. I think most of us recognize Strome has to get stronger and gain weight. I think most of us are hoping he's not wasting mass on flexy biceps and traps and is instead working on explosive core and low body power generating muscle growth.

Again, pretty straightforward and hardly worth arguing about. We all agree I'm sure.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA

I think most of us are hoping he's not wasting mass on flexy biceps and traps and is instead working on explosive core and low body power generating muscle growth.

But, but, every professional athlete needs some guns...

gigantic_biceps_by_n_o_n_a_m_e-d3h1e23.jpg

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Well, as a professional athlete, he probably shouldn't focus on one or the other at his age. He should have a program that improves all facets. This is my concern with pushing a youngster. Sure he could focus on improving his coordination and skating, but if he ends up being pushed around (a la Keller), it ain't going to help him in the long run. In order to make it to (and maintain) an NHL spot, he will have to do all three (skating, coordination, and strength training) and probably more. I'd rather it take longer for him to be NHL ready so that his playing career lasts longer, which is why I see him in Tucson for at least half a season next year.

He's not a generational player despite where he was drafted, and while other players (from the same draft year) have made it to regular NHL duty, I highly doubt their careers will last as long as Strome's does if developed properly. He's only 20 folks, I'd be fine with waiting/developing until he turns 22 before he has regular NHL duty

Keller got pushed around, knocked off the puck etc.
Not Strome. All they had in common was a lack of hockey sense especially on the defensive side. They need to learn when to pass and especially how to play against the puck.

Strome's problems are purely related to coordination. He should start by working with the athletic trainer and then go to practice with the skating coaches. He has to figure his body out NOW or his career is in danger. Basic summer strength program is completely enough for Strome. You can always to the gym to add weight. You can easily become a bodybuilder with 30 but you're not gonna improve your body coordination with 30. The younger you are, the easier it is. For a hockey pro, his coordination was terribly bad one year ago. I don't know when I last saw this. Like I said...he reminded me a lot of myself when I was a kid. Strome is packed with talent and probably a lot better than most people think but he has to fix his coordination issues now or I'm worried.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Strome's problems are purely related to coordination. He should start by working with the athletic trainer and then go to practice with the skating coaches. He has to figure his body out NOW or his career is in danger.

And my thought process is that he is probably in a relatively balanced workout program that focuses on enhancing his strengths and lends a bit of extra time improving his weaknesses. I'm guessing the off-season is filled with all sorts of varying workouts for a professional athlete with plenty of feedback from various trainers.

As mentioned, I'd be fine with waiting 1-2 years before seeing him as a "regular" on the 'Yotes roster. In the mean time, work on conditioning, skating, and all of that jazz along with getting plenty of ice-time with the Roadrunners.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona

There have been many young players who screwed themseves up going for body building results and not hockey focused results. It's happened many times. I think most of us recognize Strome has to get stronger and gain weight. I think most of us are hoping he's not wasting mass on flexy biceps and traps and is instead working on explosive core and low body power generating muscle growth.

Again, pretty straightforward and hardly worth arguing about. We all agree I'm sure.

Daniel Briere and Brandon Gormley had that problem early on. ^^

In Briere's case he trained with Hugo Girard, a world class strongman, and bulked up his upper body too much, so he had to focus on slimming down for several months, as his upper body's reaction time, got a little too slow.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
And my thought process is that he is probably in a relatively balanced workout program that focuses on enhancing his strengths and lends a bit of extra time improving his weaknesses. I'm guessing the off-season is filled with all sorts of varying workouts for a professional athlete with plenty of feedback from various trainers.

As mentioned, I'd be fine with waiting 1-2 years before seeing him as a "regular" on the 'Yotes roster. In the mean time, work on conditioning, skating, and all of that jazz along with getting plenty of ice-time with the Roadrunners.

Of course he's gonna need at least one season in Tucson. So does Keller btw.
However, I don't agree with the rest. Usually, problems like Strome's get fixed during childhood. Strome is 20 already...I started to do specific therapy with 12 or so. Of course my issues were more serious than his but I never had the ambition to be a hockey pro. He does. So I'm afraid, a normal training program won't do it for him.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I wrote he needs to be careful about adding too much weight the wrong way, and I hope he's adding weight the right way.

Fairly straightforward comment followed now by a sarcastic "ZOMG People on this forum are like sooooo Dumbz!!! looooloolllol" comment. God I love this forum.

See how easy that is?

I read a humorous observation of the general direction the thread was taking.
No one said he's Gerri g fat. Therefore, nobody was singled out.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002

In all seriousness, I think this was a much bigger issue for Duclair last year than anything Tippett was responsible for. He was a scrawny kid his first year in Arizona and found success sneaking into soft spots on the defense and slipping around the ice with high end agility and hockey sense. I don't know what his weight was last year or whether it even changed, but he came to camp looking a lot more developed up top, and I think it hurt him overall last year.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Of course he's gonna need at least one season in Tucson. So does Keller btw.

I think Keller will need 2-3 years in Tucson, but that's probably just me. Of course Keller needs to bulk up quite a bit (without it negatively affecting other areas) since he seems to have a solid (if not exceptional) base in the other areas. Still, he also needs a balanced workout with an emphasis on bulking up a bit.

However, I don't agree with the rest. Usually, problems like Strome's get fixed during childhood. Strome is 20 already...I started to do specific therapy with 12 or so. Of course my issues were more serious than his but I never had the ambition to be a hockey pro. He does. So I'm afraid, a normal training program won't do it for him.

I never said a "normal" training program but a "balanced" program (for the sport he is aspiring towards). I'm not talking cardio, arm/leg days, etc. like most semi-healthy folks do. I'm no hockey player (and never have been), so I don't know what all is involved. All I can relate are my limited football years in junior high and high school (I started strength training at 13, but slacked off quite a bit once I started attending college--where I sort of adopted a "normal" workout program intermittently).

My point was that Strome should have a balanced program that hits various areas while also addressing his weaknesses (which I'm guessing is the case).

Are you saying he should just limit his training to skating & coordination? Because that's how I'd define a "specialized" training program. If that's the case, it could have negative effects as well. Of course, I'm just posting opinions, I'm sure the experts know what they are doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad